Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2015.08.23, 01:50 AM   #11
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

What threads exactly would be wanted in an Oomori subforum?

For example, Product Info etc... I'm pretty sure it will be yours truly writing most of it up, and I don't know if Im really up for it.

Please, more elaboration
Old 2015.08.23, 10:08 PM   #12
harry4567

harry4567 raises the standards of what a community can offer

Not a Oormori fan, but I support it. Also, I think updating the theme is also crucial to this site. The current theme looks dated.
harry4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.24, 10:53 AM   #13
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I am very opposed to this. I see no similarity between Oomori and Ringo other than Ringo did rock music like forever ago and both are Japanese women. I know similitude is subjective, but I don't see the point of this.

...Then again, there's a lot about this board I don't understand anymore. For example, I've seen people roll their eyes at facebook or tumblr as being new centers of discourse for SR fans, but EMF itself is being reduced to only a few threads of discussion at a time. How is this any different, other than representing a different demographic (teen/20-something women vs. 30-something computer savvy men)? For example, there is a new thread discussing SR's older works while we still have dozens of threads dedicated to the discussion of her individual albums. Even worse, there is only one active topic about all of SR's news, where there used to be multiple threads addressing different new developments in her career. The benefits of using a forum are not being utilized here anymore, but it's not because SR is slowing down. There is a lot she's been doing lately.
Old 2015.08.24, 11:04 AM   #14
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
Even worse, there is only one active topic about all of SR's news, where there used to be multiple threads addressing different new developments in her career. The benefits of using a forum are not being utilized here anymore, but it's not because SR is slowing down. There is a lot she's been doing lately.
That's probably because of the silly way the forum is setup. Only mods can make threads in the News section and that creates confusion of what deserves a thread on the Main Forum for newer users. I hate not having new topics for new news.
Old 2015.08.24, 11:14 AM   #15
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

I am beginning to be convinced that having a dedicated Oomori subforum, while not *necessarily* a bad thing, probably isn't the best idea either.

While there is still no question in my mind that Oomori has some special significance here, there is real value in having a forum devoted just to Ringo. "Branching out" might serve to dilute EMF's purpose. I hadn't really realized that before, but as a Ringo fan, I don't like the implications.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.08.24 at 11:24 AM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.24, 05:05 PM   #16
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Even worse, there is only one active topic about all of SR's news, where there used to be multiple threads addressing different new developments in her career. The benefits of using a forum are not being utilized here anymore, but it's not because SR is slowing down. There is a lot she's been doing lately.
Yeah, this is quite painful. I understand the mods are busy with their lives, but I would appreciate to see product listings for all releases of late (Coke single, Expo 15, APPLE vinyl, 15th ANNIVERSARY STUFF, SUNNY, A Life Supreme etc etc). It used to blow my mind how comprehensive that Product Index was. Next year I won't be creating a thread like Ringo News 2015 because it seems so messy, and I apologise for what it's become. I didn't intend it to become that, it was just a placeholder thread until different news threads got created.

But yeah. Not mad or anything, just outlines the simple fact that EMF is a different place, and I can understand the loss of passion to create individual threads etc. It's a pain. I'm just suggesting, if there are people who know how and are willing to do it, to pass the torch perhaps. Sure some of the releases are sucky, but I still think they deserve a listing.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.08.24 at 06:30 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.24, 05:29 PM   #17
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I am going to make the embarrassing admission that I didn't know only mods could make threads in News.

I say that knowing that as an "Admin" I should be 100% apprised of all technical issues on the forum, but I have to say I don't know all the issues because 1) I'm not on the technical side of things, and more important, 2) I don't want people to think admins and mods are actively blocking or minimizing threads.

So if users can't make threads in News, but mods can, I propose either we allow users to make threads in News, or make it an easy matter to propose new threads to mods.

I totally agree that threads like "Ringo News 2015" should be broken up into, at the minimum, 4 or 5 (or 8 or 10) different threads.

As an immediate measure, I can do this. Let me know how you'd like the thread to be broken up. Then we can look into how to get the News forum more user-friendly in general.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.24, 06:32 PM   #18
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I agree with the above suggestion to make it easier to post separate news topics--this is one of the few consistently-updated, easily accessible English-language resources for Sheena's work. I also agree with the assertion that an Oomori subforum would A. fall on the shoulders of a few members to maintain, and B. dilute the purpose of this forum as a place for discussion of SR, TJ, and related acts.

Also, since this came up, let me ask a question regarding the following, since I'm responsible for it:
For example, there is a new thread discussing SR's older works while we still have dozens of threads dedicated to the discussion of her individual albums.
I'm a relatively new member who hasn't touched forums since middle school--my intent was to talk generally about lots of works, but is it preferred/is it forum etiquette to post in pre-existing threads when you've got something to say on that specific topic?

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.08.24 at 10:37 PM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.24, 06:45 PM   #19
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

As a side note, let me say that even though the forum could be improved in various ways, I hope most users appreciate, as I do, the differences between this place and other Facebook-y, Tumblr-y kinds of places. There are egos here, but it's not a contest over who can get the most "likes" or who can be the biggest prick on the boards.

There have been times when that has happened, and although the loss of those folks may have reduced our overall post count (by driving away not only those users but their friends----and enemies), I'd rather see the drama and identity politics ("I'm the biggest fan!" "I'm the biggest prick!" "No, I am!" etc.) kept to a minimum, than have a fireworks display that reduces everything down to 3-4 people's extremism.

And this is an ad-free, user-financed site. We don't work for Facebook or Tumblr. (And make no mistake, if you are on Facebook, you work for Facebook. I already work for them enough.)

So in exchange for a less-explosive, less-flashy environment, we get an oasis from click bait and targeted ads. I hope it stays that way.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.25, 12:58 AM   #20
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

You know, forums in general kind of died few years ago with the birth of other social media, which definitely represent a different kind of spirit. I used to be a member of some pretty big and active forums and there was this sense of community to them, which I can't see at all in these newer forms of exchanging information. I miss those times.

I sure as hell appreciate EMF for what it is. The forum layout itself takes you back 10 years
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote