Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.12.10, 06:19 AM   #31
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

frontrunner for cover of the year, like, wow

The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.10, 02:03 PM   #32
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Noone is cooler
Old 2015.12.10, 04:55 PM   #33
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ I'm excited for this!

I have to say I am IN LOVE with the Koi no vacances/summertime EP.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.10, 06:35 PM   #34
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I love reading the comments between the debut and now... seems the general hate towards her has shifted immensly.

I however, am true hardcore and liked her from the start.

Her debut really does have some nice stuff on it, if you give it a legit listen.

Also, this new album comes out exact same day as Jun Togawa x Hijokaidan. That's pretty exciting to me.
Old 2015.12.10, 10:38 PM   #35
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Like Oomori Seiko, she's not a strong vocalist, so I feel like this sort of low-fi production on the recent EP suits her best. It's a good sound. I'd also rather listen to that than an n-th reinterpretation of the folk genre.
Old 2015.12.11, 04:58 PM   #36
deadgrandma

This is gonna sound like pure stanning (which admittedly, it partly is), but come on, how can you claim Seiko Oomori isn't a strong vocalist? Unless you are talking on lame-ass traditional X-Factor standards.

I mean, her voice is like the main thing that hits you when you first listen to her. Pretty unforgettable and trademark. And I'm not just saying this. Regardless of what you think of her and her music, her voice is what will stick with you the longest on first impression. Her vocals are as unmistakable as Shiina Ringo, Jun Togawa, Tori Amos or Joanna Newsom (as some examples who come to me straight away) to me, easily. Different qualities to it, obviously, but definitely something you cannot mistake.

Sure, I agree that Zombie Chang isn't super strong in the vocal department though and hasn't really developed a trademark to her vocal style (yet), but this carefree delivery she has suits her style really nicely. And she really is the coolest girl out there. I even think she out-cools Oomori, if that says anything. In many ways, I rank her vocals alongside say, Paipaidekami.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.12.11 at 05:13 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.11, 06:16 PM   #37
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
This is gonna sound like pure stanning (which admittedly, it partly is), but come on, how can you claim Seiko Oomori isn't a strong vocalist? Unless you are talking on lame-ass traditional X-Factor standards.

I mean, her voice is like the main thing that hits you when you first listen to her. Pretty unforgettable and trademark. And I'm not just saying this. Regardless of what you think of her and her music, her voice is what will stick with you the longest on first impression. Her vocals are as unmistakable as Shiina Ringo, Jun Togawa, Tori Amos or Joanna Newsom (as some examples who come to me straight away) to me, easily. Different qualities to it, obviously, but definitely something you cannot mistake.
I don't think that's stanning. In fact I'm sure of it, now that I've looked up what "stanning" actually is.

But seriously, while I'm not the biggest Oomori fan, she definitely can sing, and she definitely has her own style. I'm not always into it 100%, but I've heard several of her performances that I quite enjoyed. Her vocal style is, as you say, unmistakable, and definitely worthy of respect.

I am also firmly of the opinion that Oomori (or any of those artists, really) could conform much more closely to traditional vocal standards, if she chose to do so. The problem is that so much is lost in doing so. I remember reading about one western artist (I forget who, but it was someone run-of-the-mill) who had the hardest time learning how to suppress the nasal aspect of her voice. Apparently her voice coach was always on her case about it. And here I am a Ringo fan, thinking, where would we even be if that had happened to her?

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.12.11 at 06:19 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.12, 05:55 AM   #38
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

One of many reasons I can't listen to the music other people listen to.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.12, 07:43 PM   #39
gekokujyo

DG, I really just don't find anything remotely interesting or alluring in how Seiko sings. It's really just uncontrolled wailing. To me, a well-crafted pop song like Nagaku mijikai matsuri is just so much more enjoyable to listen to -- but good luck to me trying to convince you of that, I guess.

In contrast the new Zombie song is good, because she's using her voice in a way that makes the song listenable. I don't need all the music I listen to to feature good vocalists, but there's a fine line between interesting voices that make for good music, and just plain unlistenable.

To add on, I think at the very least SR, Tori Amos and Joanna Newsom are in a whole different league of their own in terms of vocal ability. I think Jun Togawa can sing but I don't like her music so that's inconsequential. I'll give Seiko the benefit of the doubt, that she 'can sing' if she wants to, but maybe then she should start singing properly?

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2015.12.12 at 07:47 PM.
Old 2015.12.12, 08:54 PM   #40
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
DG, I really just don't find anything remotely interesting or alluring in how Seiko sings. It's really just uncontrolled wailing.
I think you've really hit the nail on the head with the idea of control. I agree 100% with the argument that Ringo is operating on a higher plane in terms of vocal ability, and what puts her on that level is control. She has mastered traditionally "good" vocal technique and adapted it to encompass the more "interesting" aspects of her voice, allowing her to break the rules (sometimes pretty flagrantly) without it ever feeling like she's actually doing something wrong. Her singing is unconventional, if you will, but rarely unintentional.

Oomori seems to very often to go off onto these frenetic tangents where she's not even really singing so much as she's just talking really fast and beating the hell out of her guitar. That's where she loses me. But that isn't all there is to her - for example, "I Love You" from Magic Mirror I thought was quite good. It was just that kind of controlled performance, where she's really *using* the edgier aspects of her voice, and I'd love to see more of that from her.