Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.12.18, 07:55 PM   #81
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Stop saying things like 'SR should write from the heart' because it doesn't mean anything. If I wanted to play that game, I could say that Roudousha, zero miten chara, and a handful of other songs on SG sound like they're 'from the heart'.

As I've recently looked into, Shiina Ringo has been doing 'collabs' for her entire career. That's her thing -- Sanmon Gossip is just a bit more explicit with it. And she's been doing 'gimmicky' stuff like that forever,
your right its speculation and I can never know what someone I never met put into a song. But there are some that are hard to question. There are that are really easy to question.

If I can't know whats real and whats not, at least give me something thats hard to question. Put it in a glossy package and give it a label like Sports or Adult themed or The F-ing Economy, but when the only thing I'm focusing on are the songs, I don't want to feel like it was meant to sell or to fill up an album with enough songs or as an excuse to get a rap song out of the way (Rap song....Check) or a solo comeback album out of the way or because the artist just isnt ready to retire.

The more popular our favorite artists are, the more people who care about this have to be wary. It's fair.
Old 2009.12.18, 08:00 PM   #82
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Anyone who met and fell in love with SR without even a prior connection with Japan is impressive as far as I'm concerned.
Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I also had no connection with any Japanese music other than videogame music, before I got hooked on Shiina Ringo. She's been my very first "jpop" artist - no other performer had to "pave the way" for me to listen to her. The Casshern soundtrack is an excellent starting point for people who are unacquainted with modern Japanese music. I wasn't very connected with anime or Japanese films, either.
I got into Ringo from Utada... Does this make me less cool/impressive?

Stop saying things like 'SR should write from the heart' because it doesn't mean anything.
THANK you.
Old 2009.12.18, 09:29 PM   #83
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
That might be Ringo~Bingo (if I recall correctly).
\0/

Yeah! I was in love with Shiina before I even knew who she was or before I even truly understood what Japan was. I didn't even have the internet to find out a thing about her until 2005 and even then I found it was the same artist by accident.

Good music is good music! language should be no barrier to ones enjoyment of it, as somebody mentioned earlier about the English speaking artists getting big in non English speaking countries.

You can choose to be ignorant if you want but I don't see a reason as to why you would choose to exclude stuff for reasons solely based on language.
Old 2009.12.18, 09:31 PM   #84
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
You're asking me how cool it is to go from EMI Japan's all-time bestselling artist, to an almost-bestselling artist from EMI Japan?

Don't worry - you're secure in your coolness for standing up for your interests, and for not acting like a child in the process.
Old 2009.12.18, 11:29 PM   #85
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
I seem to have introduced a silly word into discussion I should be the last person to know what's cool and what's not, but I like Utada too...

I think it's fair to say that the demos came from the heart as justriiingo did and IMO we've not consistently seen the same energy since Kyoiku or the same amount of sentimental appeal in the songwriting since Adult. Plus a song like Ringo no Uta has such an atmosphere and understanding of cosmopolitan musical influences, is it wrong for fans to wish she'd live up to that potential and not to get another album of less challenging material (written by other people?) which the two songs announced for it would suggest?

I got into Ringo since 2008 and want to be around for when a really great album drops...

Last edited by so_cold : 2009.12.18 at 11:51 PM. Reason: minor edit
Old 2009.12.19, 05:56 AM   #86
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Plus a song like Ringo no Uta has such an atmosphere and understanding of cosmopolitan musical influences, is it wrong for fans to wish she'd live up to that potential and not to get another album of less challenging material (written by other people?) which the two songs announced for it would suggest?
\

which album are you talking about? SG was entirely written and composed by Ringo and Jihen is a different animal altogether. I remember being kinda surprised Kyouiku was all Ringo with the exception of a handful of songs.

my problem with statements like Bonsai Hada is fake and her music isn't from the heart and paint by numbers is simply that the reason why most of us feel this way is because we have been around long enough to have grown with the music and no new music, no matter how amazing it is, will ever trump the feeling we got when we first discovered Ringo's music. and as the time flies by and we get more and more material, it won't feel the same. but for a brand new fan or someone who doesn't know ringo at all, if you tacked bonsai hada onto muzai moratorium and ryuukou onto adult and zero chiten kara onto Shousho Strip and even went to so far as put Shun on KZK, I sincerely doubt they would have any clue that one or the other was "soulless" or "trying to hard" as I have seen people write here. It is like a blind taste test, simply because you know what your getting and you know what you have you are already 50 percent there.

Ringo no Uta is a great Ringo song but it doesn't deserve to be in her best because it isn't 100 percent Ringo, ala, the idea and concept was taken from the WWII-era song which was the first song after the war to brighten spirits a bit. I like what she did with it but I think it should be considered an "inspired by" in the same sense Rinne Highlight and other songs are.
Old 2009.12.19, 06:09 AM   #87
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
You can choose to be ignorant if you want but I don't see a reason as to why you would choose to exclude stuff for reasons solely based on language.
I think it is inevitable that we need to to do some coarse filtering because the world of music is just too big. There are probably plenty of musicians/artists whose work I might potentially be interested in from the past to the present, from Iran, India, Brazil, Germany, to Sudan etc. but don't have the time and resource to seek out.

Population wise, China and India are the largest countries in the world; ever wonder if there are good music being produced there? It seems to me that Japanese cultural products are already much more prominent than those of many other countries.

Edit:
Where ever you live/what ever language you speak, there are probably local artists or artists who uses your language that are not getting the exposure they might otherwise deserve.

Last edited by D.K.Liu : 2009.12.19 at 06:22 AM.
Old 2009.12.19, 07:36 AM   #88
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
\
which album are you talking about? SG was entirely written and composed by Ringo and Jihen is a different animal altogether. I remember being kinda surprised Kyouiku was all Ringo with the exception of a handful of songs.
If I had an issue with 'Ringo's change of sound', it would be a Jihen thing as opposed to a Phase 2/Uki/Variety thing. Sounan is loved around here, but it certainly isn't as 'interesting' as her solo singles, and has no more lasting appeal than some of the Adult songs.

I do want to see interesting arrangements on the level of Shouso Strip and KZK again (Believe me), and that was lacking from Jihen from the start, no matter how amazing Electric Mole and Dynamite Out were. For that to happen, she would need to take control of EVERYTHING again as in Shouso Strip/KZK, and IIRC, she found it too much work hence the forming of TJ.

Has it occured to anyone that Ringo actually enjoys making music with the people who are supposedly 'bringing her down?' It sucks, yeah, but she's human AFAIK.

Anyway...

So I listened to Senkou Shoujo for the first time in a long time. It's a 'nice' song, but leaves me feeling lukewarm. Like Gips, it reeks of J-Pop, but Gips is rescued by being over-the-top in that Ringo/Shouso Strip way. Like POWER J-POP. I hope 3min and Senkou Shoujo aren't indicative of the album's general sound, but there are some exciting song titles in there.

For fun, I'll list who I think wrote what (Using kuro's English translations for ease):

To Live: Ringo
Radio Transmission: Izawa
Sayonara Season: Kameda
Victory: Uki
F.O.U.L: Izawa
3min: Ringo
F.A.I.R: Uki
Eagerness: Izawa
Sweet Spot: Ukigumo (Who DOESN'T think this is an Uki song?)
Senkou Shoujo: Kameda.
The End: Ringo

When will we find out, I wonder. Countdown Japan is happening soon...I wonder if they'll perform a new track there!
Old 2009.12.19, 07:52 AM   #89
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
\
Ringo no Uta is a great Ringo song but it doesn't deserve to be in her best because it isn't 100 percent Ringo, ala, the idea and concept was taken from the WWII-era song which was the first song after the war to brighten spirits a bit. I like what she did with it but I think it should be considered an "inspired by" in the same sense Rinne Highlight and other songs are.
what do you mean it's not 100% hers? i had never heard this bit about the song...do you mean she borrowed some of the melody or something?

If I had an issue with 'Ringo's change of sound', it would be a Jihen thing as opposed to a Phase 2/Uki/Variety thing. Sounan is loved around here, but it certainly isn't as 'interesting' as her solo singles, and has no more lasting appeal than some of the Adult songs.
speak for yourself man, seems like you're stating facts here. for me, sounan is probably the best TJ song. it's short, sweet, has ups and downs, a very distinct melody, awesome instrumentation all around, especially the guitar bits i love, and i think it's something i can listen to in any mood. it has the in-your face fun-ness of gunjoy biyori and a bit of that dark powerful emotion from jusui negai--i envy that kind of songwriting talent. i think everything about it is so sweet. and not sweet like, awww, just the notes and everything. more and more i've been getting a feel for what the complains about Uki's tone are and i think this song is a good reference point to compare it against. but in all fairness, this is a pretty bad-ass song on its own, and i don't think he'd fuck it up if he were on it instead of hirama.
Old 2009.12.19, 08:03 AM   #90
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
speak for yourself man, seems like you're stating facts here. for me, sounan is probably the best TJ song.
You sound like the in your opinion guy here. I love Sounan too, but it's not The Pinnacle. Phase 2's Himitsu is just as good (Wasn't that originally going to be a single?).
Closed Thread