Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.04.21, 10:00 AM   #281
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
I thought I was a pretty big anime buff, but when I think about it, there are only 5-or so anime that I like/watch: Cowboy Bebob (my favorite everr), Cardcaptor Sakura, Fullmetal Alchemist, Sailor Moon and Evangelion.
I love you.

I felt so lost in Japan when people were talking about anime. The only anime I've watched in the last decade was Azumanga Daioh. The next one I watch is probably going to be the X-Men anime currently airing or the Persona 4 one coming out.
Old 2011.04.21, 11:09 PM   #282
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Evangelion is anti-anime. It criticizes the viewer for watching it. The way the show denies pleasure is fascinating, and pleasurable in and of itself.

Hardly anything else I've seen comes close to that, but I'd be happy if nothing else ever did. Am perfectly happy watching and re-watching Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell (films and TV), Escaflowne, and such guilty pleasures as Kite and Mezzo Forte.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.24, 12:34 PM   #283
waxringo

waxringo has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I decided to fill the void in my life w anime though i havent watched in years and years

i've started watching Inuyasha from ep. 1 the other day
it's ok

i wanna thank jeebus for netflix
Old 2011.07.03, 04:50 PM   #284
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by waxringo View Post
I decided to fill the void in my life w anime though i havent watched in years and years

i've started watching Inuyasha from ep. 1 the other day
it's ok

i wanna thank jeebus for netflix
Netflix's anime selection is terrible...especially in BD. But I love how they're trying to do more and more subs through streaming.

Has anyone seen Baccano? I'm halfway through and am loving how fun it is. Great OP, too.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.03, 10:21 PM   #285
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I try to like it, I really do, but there's just so much bad stuff.
This is quite apt.

I can't stand Evangelion, mainly for the ending(s). In the show, it's three straight episodes of Shinji yelling at himself and scribbles flashing on the screen. In the movie, at least something's happening, but the whole thing is so overwrought with penetration references and Freudian symbolism, that's it's hard to take seriously. Haven't seen any of the reboot though.

I have terrible taste in anime though. I rarely watch it anymore, like very little of it and the stuff I usually do enjoy are the over-the-top ridiculous series that are typical lauded by sane, non-otaku viewers. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Fullmetal Alchemist (not that I'd put it in the same category as the other two), maybe some season one of Jigoku Shoujo (everyone hated that, right?), I dunno what else.

On a different note, the only time I've actually teared up a little bit to anime was the penultimate fight scene in Gurren Lagann. I'm not kidding you, it was that manly.

Oh, and my girlfriend is currently watching the most horrendous anime I have ever witnessed, Suzuka. It's one of those terrible, based on a visual novel, romance shows where the characters do nothing but second-guess themselves and create drama over the most insignificant aspects of everyday life. With lots of wistful piano melodies and opportune breezes to blow girls' hair and skirts around. Worse than Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, and that was unbearable.

Last edited by karateexplosion : 2011.07.03 at 11:14 PM. Reason: that winning last paragraph
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 07:34 AM   #286
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the reboot of EVA is fantastic, especially 2.22. My only beef is that events are seeming to happen so fast, but for people who didn't like the slow/boring bits of the original, I think you'd enjoy it more. It has the high production values of a blockbuster film so they have a lot of action sequences with a high frame rate and good use of CGI, its pretty impressive. They also have fucked up the storyline quite a bit by completely altering the plot and adding new characters, etc.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 08:00 AM   #287
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Brofist.

Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate are pretty rocking cool, especially the OSTs. Listening to the soundtrack almost makes me feel like a sadistic British sipping on foul wine in a bar.

Kiddy Grade was the first anime I love. Don't ask why. I don't even know why. Kiddy Grade 2 SUCKS. PERIOD. It became KAWWAAAIIII--DESUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU anime. Huge disappointment for a kiddy grade lover.

Rozen Maiden and PSG(Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt) are animes that I felt very sinful watching them.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 09:35 AM   #288
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
Oh, and my girlfriend is currently watching the most horrendous anime I have ever witnessed, Suzuka. It's one of those terrible, based on a visual novel, romance shows where the characters do nothing but second-guess themselves and create drama over the most insignificant aspects of everyday life. With lots of wistful piano melodies and opportune breezes to blow girls' hair and skirts around. Worse than Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, and that was unbearable.
Ugghhhhhhhh YES. FUCK KIMI GA NOZOMU EIEN. And Honey & Clover, same thing. HATE THEM. Now I know what to recommend to my sister... and stay FAR AWAY FROM myself.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 01:29 PM   #289
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
the reboot of EVA is fantastic, especially 2.22.
Please tell me that the third one is called Rebuild of Evangelion 33⅓.

Originally Posted by frecklegirl
Ugghhhhhhhh YES. FUCK KIMI GA NOZOMU EIEN. And Honey & Clover, same thing. HATE THEM. Now I know what to recommend to my sister... and stay FAR AWAY FROM myself.
At least Honey & Clover had some stereotypical kawaii desu comedy (at least I think; I watched like, two episode of that years ago). At least Kimi ga Nozomu Eien had like, real shit going on, like people DYING AND SHIT. The most controversial subjects breached in Suzuka are trying to make the cut for the track team and the main character looking a little bit like this one guy this one girl liked back in the day. Without anything funny going on remotely.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 06:20 PM   #290
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

My friends invited me over to watch some anime. Turned out to be a Gurren Lagan marathon. I decided to go home after 3 episodes :-p