Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.06.24, 10:51 AM   #761
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Just kidding. I decided to listen to the song and kinda agree with you in the bridge that begins at 1:22.

It might be the radio-rip, but she sounds soulless to my ears, lacking a bit of expression and strenght (for my liking, of course*), which is exactly the opposite of Shouso Strip. I'm pretty much sure that singing intensity was a conscious decision. But again, it might be the source.

Edit: *This appreciation comes from the first listening, I'm likely to change my mind with further plays, proper audio quality and, most importantly, the context that an album implies.

(important note: this post is not meant to be negative)

Last edited by Carlx : 2011.06.24 at 11:03 AM.
Old 2011.06.24, 10:55 AM   #762
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
Just kidding. I decided to listen to the song and kinda agree with you in the bridge that begins at 1:22.

It might be the radio-rip, but she sounds soulless to my ears, lacking a bit of expression and strenght (for my liking, of course), which is exactly the opposite of Shouso Strip. I'm pretty much sure that singing intensity was a conscious decision. But again, it might be the source.
Guys, what song are you referring to? I mean, to what song that 1:22-1:50 part resembles to, according to you?
Old 2011.06.24, 10:57 AM   #763
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

It sounds like a hyperanime-ish melody sung over quasi death-metal lite instrumental underpinnings that goes really kind of, Depeche Mode or something for a while before it is angrily flushed down a plughole death vortex - in space.

edit: 1:22-1:50 resembles an album by Depeche Mode.

Old 2011.06.24, 11:04 AM   #764
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Actually, this song reminds me of FOUL. And the 1:22 - 1:50 bit sound reminds me of Fukushuu more than anything. (both Ukigumo songs, lol).
Old 2011.06.24, 12:47 PM   #765
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Epic first post by spaz
Old 2011.06.24, 01:25 PM   #766
day

day pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
It sounds like a hyperanime-ish melody sung over quasi death-metal lite instrumental underpinnings that goes really kind of, Depeche Mode or something for a while before it is angrily flushed down a plughole death vortex - in space.

edit: 1:22-1:50 resembles an album by Depeche Mode.
I couldn't agree more. It's like cookies and cream, with black tar - Delicious.

I can dig it. It's kind of different for jihen , but it does sound a little 4-star tbh.
Old 2011.06.24, 02:33 PM   #767
spinnigold

spinnigold is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
It does seem like some people constantly gripe and complain about her or TJ's latest material, but I'm fine with constructive criticism. Heck, I'm even okay with non-constructive criticism as long as it's funny. It's a forum, a place where people can express opinions, even snarky ones. I don't like the thought of this turning into an Ayumi Hamasaki forum which will remain unnamed where people freak out and tell you to leave and refrain from commenting on anything new if you only seem to respond negatively. People sort of have every right to be critical of new music released by the people that brought us KSK, SS, and Adult (and DO if you're into that) since that set the artists in question up to an unreachable high standard.

I feel so weird because "Dopamint" is growing on me and Variety is still the TJ/SR album I listen to the most.
A lot of us that don't frequent here for much more than news aren't really in the opinion that becoming an 'Ayumi Hamasaki forum' as you put it is preferable either.
I think it's more that the overwelming bitterness of a few core posters here really tarnishes the place. For an argument that doesn't really hold water in the musical world-- 'why isn't Ringo making music like she did in xxx?'
That doesn't make any logical sense- she grew up. Musically and physically. It's gonna be different. The music she wants to make is different. And I don't feel that I have any right to negatively weigh in on that.

Not to say I adore everything she does-- I never want to hear another version of STEM, for example-- but I don't hate any of it. I don't feel the need to complain about any of it. I just stick with the stuff I like?

I dunno. There's just been a number of times when I've come here in the past and shared things and been positive and I have essentially been ridiculed; and it's not as if I typed in sparkles or weeaboo language or whatever it is that people are afraid of becoming if they act positively, pfft.

As far as the leaked track goes, I like it, but it hasn't set my hair on fire or anything. But I'm still excited to hear the other tracks.
Old 2011.06.24, 02:59 PM   #768
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

'sparkles and weeaboo language'

For an argument that doesn't really hold water in the musical world-- 'why isn't Ringo making music like she did in xxx?'
It isn't about wanting her to return to a particular style, because between her demos and Adult and Sanmon Gossip (YMMV), she's done all sorts of things.
Old 2011.06.24, 03:29 PM   #769
spinnigold

spinnigold is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
It isn't about wanting her to return to a particular style, because between her demos and Adult and Sanmon Gossip (YMMV), she's done all sorts of things.
The over-riding feeling tends to be 'it was better in the past' though; is what I meant-- sorry, I shoulda clarified.
There's lots of IN THE OLD DAYS going on, I find.
Old 2011.06.24, 05:11 PM   #770
waxringo

waxringo has had more than 15 seconds of fame

cause we're all 70+ yrs old on these boards and we walked both ways, uphill, to a REAL store to get cds and dvds from overseas when we were young little muffins