Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.06.23, 08:52 AM   #171
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

now I know how I will spend my time before the exams results.

There is a new Ringo masterpiece wich will be played round and round for a while... - And there you can understant what I think about SG.

Now is not yet the time to write a review, after a french write, a translation just for you. Due to my poor english I prefer to be free with my words.
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.23, 08:54 AM   #172
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Aww you changed your original post above, Bingo, saying it was a "dud" =( The first time I heard the song, I was excited and checked to see who was talking about it and saw you posted that which made me say "Whaaaa..." =p

Come now, I think that was unnecessary Frecklegirl AND Shinji.

And I've already listened to SG more times than I listened to Variety in its original form
Old 2009.06.23, 09:00 AM   #173
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Don't care--Shinji's comment was out of line considering I was basically complying with other members' requests to remove the drama from this thread (it was probably sarcastic anyway), his sig is currently a quote from me he obviously finds amusing and is using to mock me (the second time he's done this), and I really don't have to put up with it any longer, so I'm not going to!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.23, 09:16 AM   #174
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

After listening 10+ times in a row, I feel I have a good idea of my initial favorites. I think right now I am attracted to the songs with the best melodies, richest harmonies and/or most intriguing arrangements. So that means maru chiten kara, Shun, Mayakashi Yasaotoko, Togatta Teguchi, Irokoizata and Marunouchi Sadistic.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.23, 09:25 AM   #175
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Jihad's three picks: Bonsai Hada, Yokyou, O Chiten Kara
IAWTC!

Even Irokoizata is starting to yield interesting nuances to me now, after repeated listens. The new version of MaruSadi is a grower. I've pretty much been listening to this album all day and I'm still not sick of it.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.23, 09:27 AM   #176
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I'm awful when it comes to describing how I feel about music so I'm taking the easy way out.

1 Ryuukou
2 Roudousha
3 Mittei Monogatari
4 Maru Chiten kara
5 Karisome Otome
6 Tsugou no Ii Karada
7 Shun
8 Futari Bocchi Jikan: as a kids song, for this album
9 Mayakashi Yasaotoko
10 Togatta Teguchi
11 Irokoizata
12 Bonsai Hada
13 Yokyou
14 Marunouchi Sadistic (EXPO Ver.)

I AM SO OVER THE 70s HAMMOND ORGAN AND OR XYLOPHONE IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY.

overall- underwhelming. I appreciate the craftsmanship that went into this but many of the ingredients and genres just don't appeal to me. Sucks to be me?
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.23, 09:31 AM   #177
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

SG in my opinion is a really good album. I love everything on it, but
I'm especially happy that she didn't try to repeat KSK, which for me is the only album from her that I really considered brilliant. Sorry guys, but MM and SS, they're nice, but I never really cared much for those two albums.

Variety is an ok collection of songs, but not a great album, because it feels rushed. I see the band playing those same songs live, and it feels great... and how the hell their performances on the album sound so artificial, and constrained, maybe even lifeless? I don't like the production and recording work on the album, shiina's voice sounds sterile, like it's sucked out the natural reverb of the room, the voices sound too dry.

But SG, even with all it's tinkering, and post-production, just flows smoothly as an album. It feels really unrestrained, it feels like a real album.
I still cringe a bit when she sings in English, but this time it's surprinsingly good, and I almost don't notice it.

Shiina pulled off what I wanted: to not do a clone of her previous albums, even though it has elements that we've come to associate with her music.
It has moments of surprise, unpredictability, and I feel I could show this albums to my friends who are not very acquainted with asian music, and even they could find enjoyment in this release.
Old 2009.06.23, 09:32 AM   #178
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'm here with the ratings (subject to change)

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  97.9 KB
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.23, 09:32 AM   #179
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Internet this days! Write the damn words xD

I feel the same for "Irokoizata", gekokujyo. My first reaction was to label "Irokoizata" has the bleh song of the album, and even tho I still don't pick it up singularly, I appreciate the way it flows with the tracklist. The transition between "Togata Teguchi" -> "Irokoizata" is also very amusing.

The bleh song is now "Karisome Otome" =P I keep skipping it.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.23, 09:33 AM   #180
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I really need to stop reading this thread. I don't even have the album yet.