Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2009.06.08, 09:38 AM   #1
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Negative Rep: Updated

Is it possible to know why the negative rep is not available anymore?
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.08, 09:47 AM   #2
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

It is still available. I checked a random post and I can still disapprove! check again.
Perhaps if you neg repped a few in a row you might need some good to balance it out?

(I didn't actually neg rep anybody but the option is still there)
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.08, 10:39 AM   #3
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

I can not negative rep any post whatsoever. At least two other members said they can't, either.
So I suppose there must be some kind of new system going on, which I'd like to understand.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.06.08 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2009.06.08, 10:42 AM   #4
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

I cannot, either.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.08, 10:52 AM   #5
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I don't think the admin would want to disclose how the rep system works.
But from my understanding, new members with no rep points cannot give negative reps, and I'm guessing once you get a certain number of negative reps you also won't be able to neg rep anyone.
Old 2009.06.08, 11:13 AM   #6
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

But if I don't understand the system, how am I going to use it?
It's also weird that at least three people are in the "you gave so much neg rep now you can't give it anymore" category.
If I remember correctly, in my case the option to give neg rep just disappeared one day and I don't think I actually gave neg rep before it got disabled. So, well, it's weird.

I'll wait for an admin to say something
Old 2009.06.08, 11:28 AM   #7
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
But from my understanding, new members with no rep points cannot give negative reps, and I'm guessing once you get a certain number of negative reps you also won't be able to neg rep anyone.
I think that's not true... I checked my User CP, and I've only been given bad reputation once -and I think the one who did it got wrong because there's a positive comment XD, whatever-. There must be a new system or something.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.08, 02:19 PM   #8
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I can still Disapprove people, but so far I've only ever used it once before, and not on who you might suspect.
(your first five guesses will be wrong)

I've been Disapproved three times, and none of that has ever been overruled. I have taken the hits, and they continue to impact my Reputation score even today. Some other people who aren't in the red, have also taken quite a few hits.

The system has to change along with the growth of the community. This isn't the first time something has been tweaked, and it will probably change some more in the future. No responsible admin would just set up Reputation one day, then leave it the exact same way for 2-3 years. I've seen that happen in a few other communities and I don't like the outcome.

Reputation should also always remain at least somewhat mysterious so that nobody can game it.

On another note, it looks like EmilScherbe just got his second green dot.
Old 2009.06.08, 02:24 PM   #9
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

So we are not going to know why we can't disapprove posts and if we are ever going to be able to do it again?
Old 2009.06.08, 03:00 PM   #10
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The system doesn't actually make any distinction on whether the previous Reputation you issued out to someone was an Approval or a Disapproval. The system could stop you from Approving someone because you already Disapproved them too recently, and vice versa. All the system cares about (for purposes of "spreading it around") is whether or not you've recently touched the same person's Reputation.

As for if/how/why/when you can Disapprove, nobody loses that capability for forever (unless they are banned or they've done something else almost-as-seriously wrong). It will eventually come back to you.