Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.03.05, 01:51 PM   #1
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default [J-Jazz] Indigo Jam Unit

Indigo Jam Unit has got to be one of my favourite Japanese Jazz bands in the scene. I think they used to be a 3 piece band (piano, double bass, drums) but recently added a 4th member for an additional layer of percussion. I'm not quite sure how to describe their sound. It's kinda dark, dramatic, melodious with circular bass lines and an almost hip-hop impulse to their rhythm. If you like the explosive SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS sound but can't stand the blaring saxophone and the trumpet, you might prefer Indigo Jam's brand of rhythmic nu-jazz.

Indigo Jam Unit - Pirates

Indigo Jam Unit - Time

Pirates and Time is taken off their newest (and best, imo) album - "PIRATES". I started listening to IJU sometime during their 2nd album and I must say their newest effort is a very refined effort at developing the IJU sound. I think the track Pirates is a nice summary of the traditional IJU sound, while Time shows off their new sound of classy jazz intertwined with Afro-cuban beats. Exemplary work. Even if you don't sample all the other albums, this one is a must listen.

Pirates. Grab it here.

Indigo Jam Unit & flexlife - Love love love

IJU also released a covers album in January 2009 which opens with "Love love love", originally by Donny Hathaway (so says youtube). This song is all soft and bluesy, a departure from their signature sound, but it shows that their musical range is not limited to hard hitting chords and heavy basslines.

Indigo Jam Unit - Adrenaline

Adrenaline is taken off their 3rd album.

They've released 4 albums so far:
demonstration
2x2
ReaLism
Pirates

And also the above-mentioned cover album.

If you're interested, more download links can be found here.

Enjoy!

Indigo Jam Unit Official Homepage
Old 2009.03.05, 01:57 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
If you like the explosive SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS sound but can't stand the blaring saxophone and the trumpet, you might prefer Indigo Jam's brand of rhythmic nu-jazz.
I thought that's what J.A.M was for.
Old 2009.03.05, 02:01 PM   #3
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Lol I completely forgot about JAM. Yes JAM is essentially brassless SAPS. They're okay.
But IJU's sound is different... and better
Old 2010.04.04, 11:45 AM   #4
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I've been listening to covers album Vintage Black so much lately. Maybe they should have found more obscure songs, but I guess they're classics for a reason, the kind that can be replayed over and over without wearing out. I can't imagine the day when I wouldn't want to listen to The Makings of You or Lady Day and John Coltrane.

I like what Flexlife bring a lot, sweet sounding acoustic guitar and Rie Aoqi's vocals; once you get past that she's obviously singing in a foreign language, you wouldn't want to replace with anyone else for these particular performances. Love Love Love is practically perfect but then the album really hits its peak with I Believe in Miracles (video below), which is just too groovy.

I suffer from a benign affliction where My Cherie Amour plays in my head about 2% of the time (it's OK, fortunately I like the tune) so after a couple of listens when I thought that cover was the weakest on the album, I quite like the way swung the song, made it more bittersweet sounding, and how it works with the lyrics.

Anyway, here's a good review.

Indigo Jam Unit & Flexlife: I Believe in Miracles

Not from the album, but here's another vocal cover, this time of the Earth Wind and Fire song that from 2:00 progressively provides an introduction to a harder driving IJU sound. I need to listen to Pirates again.

Toki Asako - September (Indigo Jam Unit Remix)
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote