Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.11.27, 06:26 PM   #31
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I also changed my mind on the new track, lol. I hate Lil Wayne's part, but it's a catchy song and it fits the Shakira vibe. Her performance at the AMAs was also pretty cool.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.29, 03:52 PM   #32
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by bromithia View Post
I also changed my mind on the new track, lol. I hate Lil Wayne's part, but it's a catchy song and it fits the Shakira vibe. Her performance at the AMAs was also pretty cool.
people said her perfromance was weak...I think in the age of gaga people have lost the ability to appreciate a fine performance. I mean, nothing against Gaga, but you don't need to run around the stage making out with your keyboardist and crotching-face-smashing your dancers (I'm talking to you adam lambert) to put on a good show. the worst part? everyone says she is a beyonce wannabe. she has pigeon-holed herself a bit, so now everytime she doesn't do a freakish contortionist-like dance people say she is ripping off beyonce, which is LAME.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.29, 05:06 PM   #33
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I mean, it wasn't a particularly strong performance in any way, but at the same time the song doesn't really showcase any of her talent at all, so yeah. And Adam Lambert's performance was just awful.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.11, 02:54 PM   #34
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I really don't care for this latest album and especially the tack-on singles (looks like "Give it up to me" is this time around's "Hips Don't Lie", I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE RE-RELEASING THE ALBUM WITH A NEW TRACKLISTING AGAIN) with random-ass rappers who don't fit at all. I hate "Give it up to me." Ugh.

Do music studios just have nothing better to do with crossover artists than make them all sound the same and boring and vaguely RnB-ish because "that's what people want"? Because this sounds way too much like Utada's recent U.S. album for my comfort ("Did It Again" especially). It doesn't sound like a Shakira album to me at all. I'm not surprised by the Beyoncé comparisons because they really did make Shakira ape her, thinking "that's what will sell." It feels heartless; I don't ever feel that warmth from it. So here's hoping its Spanish follow-up is a LOT better. Since that one won't be subject to the whims of a desperate, bottom-line do-whatever-we-think-will-sell-regardless-of-quality American studio, I suspect it will be much better.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.01, 06:37 PM   #35
zyoeru

zyoeru pleased at least somebody

I like She Wolf, but I've gotta agree, the Spanish album definitely will be much better.
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.16, 01:44 PM   #36
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

What are opinions on her World Cup song?
I think it's a great, catchy little song.
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.18, 06:47 PM   #37
zyoeru

zyoeru pleased at least somebody

I'm with you on that, I'm gonna have to give a few more spins, but it was love at first hearing.
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.29, 06:05 PM   #38
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I love it toooooo, both versions, I find myself singing along with the African (not sure which language exactly) parts, very catchy.
Old 2010.05.29, 09:41 PM   #39
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I don't know how I feel about this song. I remember after she did Whenever Wherever/Suerte she refused to typecast herself and release multiple songs with similar flavors. Ever since Hips Don't Lie was a smash success she had similar clones and this Waka Waka track feels a little too similar to what she has been putting out. It is almost like when she releases an album she fills it up with whatever and then drops it entirely upon release to go with a completely different and more commercial single. That or the record label doubts her album and has her record something last minute, slap it on a rerelease, and try and sell records that way (both Hips Don't Lie and Give It Up To Me). This song is arguably less commercial in the US than the majority of She Wolf but on a whole it seems like Shakira's inner pop diva has all but taken over, which is kind of strange considering she has been in diplomat mode this entire era, anytime you read her home page its full of her appearances making speeches over album promotion. its awesome she is working so hard for social rights, if only she would release an actual album representative of that and less about simple drum and bass tunes. they sound good the first few times and get boring super fast.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.04, 10:53 PM   #40
frecklegirl
apple-princess

My friend and I just bought tickets to see her in Dallas October 1. Probably the most expensive concert ticket I've ever bought ($99, without fees etc)... but I think it's gonna be worth it. We're super excited.

I like She Wolf more and more with each listen. I especially like a lot of the Spanish versions and the wordplay; she's stopped straight-up translating lyrics from one language to the other and now each version presents a slightly different facet of the song's theme. Pretty cool.