Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.07.04, 06:25 PM   #21
toriringo

toriringo pleased at least somebody

I am absolutely obsessed with this woman. I've played Actor almost every day since it was released and I absolutely adore Marry Me too. I had the pleasure of seeing her at Webster Hall in NYC in May and might be able to see her in August at the All Points West Festival if I'm lucky. The Lake Fever Sessions are among my favorite things she's done. I never expected acoustic performances of Actor Out of Work and The Strangers to be as cool or interesting as they were. The short set posted on Pitchfork's site is pretty awesome too.
toriringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 08:36 AM   #22
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I've played the Marry Me LP on a very expensive turntable rig that has delivered stellar results with heavier LPs before, and Marry Me sounded almost like crap.
I have no idea what they did to that LP... even old scratchy records sound better! That debut album had a few tracks that were just perfect, like Marry Me and Human Racing, but I haven't really been wanting to listen to the new album... don't know why.
Old 2009.07.13, 05:49 AM   #23
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

Album of the year, most certainly! I don't see how anything could beat it. It's totally stunning--beautiful and terrifying, everyday and mindblowingly epic all at once.
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.22, 11:35 AM   #24
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

The St. Vincent show on 20 October in Cleveland's Beachland Ballroom was absolutely incredible. I was right by her in the front row. When she messed with her pedalboard she was literally two feet away from me. We made eye contact several times throughout the night. She even looked right at me, nodded, and mouthed "Yes, sing it louder!" when I was trying to get the crowd to sing the "paint the black hole blacker" part of The Strangers. Setlist:

The Strangers
Laughing With a Mouth of Blood
Save Me From What I Want
Actor Out of Work
Now Now
Marry Me
Black Rainbow
Marrow
Oh My God
Just the Same, but Brand New
The Party
Your Lips Are Red

Other highlights:

- She joked that the last time she was here, she played the tavern section instead of the ballroom and only ten people showed up. Some dude cheered loudly and she said, "He was one of the ten." She played for about 250-300 people this time.

- Annie almost tripped over the second guitar monitor as she was leaving the stage for the first time.

- Annie used her Harmony H15V Bobkat for the entire show. Daniel used a Fender Jaguar.

- She goes absolutely nuts on guitar during Now Now and Your Lips Are Red. It's a thing of chaotic beauty.

- The crowd erupted during Marry Me's "We'll do what Mary and Joseph did... without the kid" part. After the song she shyly thanked the crowd for getting the joke.

- Actor Out of Work and Marrow got the biggest cheers of the night. Marrow is one of my least favorite songs by her, but everybody else seems to love it. I was most excited about Black Rainbow and Just the Same because I thought those were the two songs from actor with little chance of being performed. I was also really happy to hear Now Now since it's one of my overall favorite St. Vincent songs. Love that guitar during the opening/verses.

- She tossed me her guitar pick after the show. It's of the Fender medium gauge variety. It's also red, white, and blue. =)

- Annie was going to do a signing after the show, but had to back out due to illness. Ah well.

Last edited by Maou : 2009.10.24 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Corrections and more info
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.22, 03:40 PM   #25
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
The St. Vincent show on 20 October in Cleveland's Beachland Ballroom was absolutely incredible. I was right by her in the front row. When she messed with her pedalboard she was literally two feet away from me. We made eye contact several times throughout the night. She even looked right at me, nodded, and mouthed "Yes, sing it louder!" when I was trying to get the crowd to sing the "paint the black hole blacker" part of The Strangers. Setlist (it's out of order except the first two and last two songs) :

The Strangers
Laughing With a Mouth of Blood
Save Me From What I Want
Actor Out of Work
Now Now
Marry Me
Black Rainbow
Marrow
Oh My God
Just the Same, but Brand New
Your Lips Are Red

Other highlights:

- She joked that the last time she was here, she played the tavern section instead of the ballroom and only ten people showed up. Some dude cheered loudly and she said, "He was one of the ten." She played for about 250 people this time.

- Annie almost tripped over a monitor as she was leaving the stage.

- She goes absolutely nuts on guitar during Now Now and Your Lips Are Red. It's a thing of chaotic beauty.

- She tossed me her guitar pick after the show. It's of the Fender medium gauge variety. It's also red, white, and blue. =)

- Annie was going to do a signing after the show, but had to back out due to illness. Ah well.
was this a solo show or part of a group because that set list is a bit lacking, eh? usually full length shows are somewhere between 15-20 songs, even for artists with one or two albums. nice set though and cool that you got some one on one action with Annie. have you checked out her new song on the New Moon soundtrack yet?
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.22, 03:52 PM   #26
Maou

There was an opening band that played six songs. It was a rather short set, but Just the Same, Oh My God, and Your Lips were all extended versions. Just the Same was over eight minutes.

I haven't listened to Roslyn yet, but I haven't looked for it yet either. I'll get around to it soon.
Old 2009.10.22, 04:51 PM   #27
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

It's with Bon Iver, right? What a wonderful combination.
Old 2009.10.22, 05:39 PM   #28
Maou

^ Yeah. I'm sure the only real reason she did the song is because she got to collab with Bon Iver. I know she said she wanted to do it because her sisters are fans on the series, but c'mon.
Old 2009.10.22, 09:12 PM   #29
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

regardless of what you have to say about Twilight, the soundtracks have always been super tight. The soundtrack to Twilight is what makes the first movie watchable and the main reason why I even bothered to watch it. It pulls you into that moody and angsty element that just comes off cheesy on its own in the plot. That and Kristen Stewart, who is quite an amazing actress in her own right.

I haven't bothered with New Moon soundtrack because I'm going through the same thing I did with Twilight where every thread of my body is resisting it but I'll eventually cave.

What with the huge success of the first movie and its soundtrack so many artists were jumping to be a part of the new movie and so many talented musicians were turned down how could you possibly say no if they asked you? I'm sure St. Vincent was excited to be a part of that soundtrack regardless.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.23, 02:10 AM   #30
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
That and Kristen Stewart, who is quite an amazing actress in her own right.
If by "amazing actress" you mean perpetual expressionless stare, then.. alright. >.>;

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote