Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.07.06, 06:49 PM   #11
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

My last one was Soil and Pimps....so long ago
Old 2009.07.06, 07:25 PM   #12
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

I saw Patrick Wolf last month too. I can't believe I was considering not going. Not only was he incredible live, but he was also really friendly and would chat with the audience. I think "The Bachelor" works better as a live album, even though the Tilda thing was a little off and the choir parts weren't live.

The only downside was that he started really late and the three opening acts were awful. But it was definitely worth the wait to get such good spots.

I also saw Lydia three days before that, and they were perfect. I've never enjoyed their studio recordings, but I was dragged along to the concert and it was epic. Their live atmosphere is totally different, way more energy and less dreariness. Some random drunk girl was talking about how she got high with the whole band minus the singer before their set, but the (very) hot keyboardist made a blog post that basically discredited the random drunk girl. Hm =/

The downside to that show was FOUR opening acts.

Last edited by BanFan : 2009.07.06 at 11:38 PM.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 05:43 AM   #13
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

hmm...

McCoy Tyner in March, Hiromi in Apr; both at Blue Note.

Vanessa da Mata also in Apr... was a fun concert!
Fan Death (electro-disco group from Canada), one of the girls was on something.... great fun.

I'm heading to the North Sea Jazz festival very soon... There's gonna be SAPS, Kyoto Jazz Massive, Herbie Hancock, Erykah Badu, McCoy Tyner, Hiromi (again)... Excited!
Old 2009.07.07, 07:38 AM   #14
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Vanessa da Mata!! :O I didn't know she toured outside Brazil...

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 08:26 AM   #15
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

She's pretty huge in Italy! And Ronaldinho came on stage too...
Old 2009.07.07, 02:49 PM   #16
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
I saw Patrick Wolf last month too. I can't believe I was considering not going. Not only was he incredible live, but he was also really friendly and would chat with the audience. I think "The Bachelor" works better as a live album, even though the Tilda thing was a little off and the choir parts weren't live.

The only downside was that he started really late and the three opening acts were awful. But it was definitely worth the wait to get such good spots.
I really hope he tours Australia sometime soon... I missed him last time he was here. Though apparently he got pissed off at the crowd or tired or something here in Melbourne and walked off half way through his set and never came back on.

I haven't been to a gig recently, but I've got The Flaming Lips coming up (which unfortunately clashes with Friendly Fires, so I'm only going to see the Lips). And I also just bought tickets to see Sarah Blasko in October, who is being supported by El Perro del Mar. Should be fun times!
Old 2009.07.07, 02:52 PM   #17
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by toriringo View Post
Webster Hall in NYC. Fabulous venue. I saw Amanda Palmer there last November too.
ohhh, that's the same one i went to!
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 06:27 PM   #18
toriringo

toriringo pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
ohhh, that's the same one i went to!
Wasn't it magical? Did you get to meet her? I wanted to, but I couldn't hang around for a long time after the show.
toriringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 06:56 PM   #19
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

whatt! people got to meet her after the show? i had to go since it was already late and i had to catch a train back to jersey.
i actually have met her, though, before that show she did a free show at the virgin megastore in union square and i got a picture taken with her and she autographed my lp. still, i'd love to have been able to talk to her again. i saw her last month, too, in brooklyn, and i guess she's always really accessible. I was looking for the venue and saw her outside and talking on her phone and she told me how to get in =).

but yea, it was amazing. i was right by the front and there was some dousche clapping at wrong times, though, so that was kind of annoying. still, it didn't ruin it. i loved when she did the red lips song, it was crazy.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 12:12 AM   #20
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Last gig I went to was Roger Waters playing at the Hollywood Bowl a few years back. I really need to get out and see more shows.