Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2010.07.25, 07:48 PM   #11
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Rufus Wainwright - Songs For Lulu

booooooooooooooooooo
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.25, 09:57 PM   #12
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I thought "Who Are You New York" was alright :/ didn't bother with the rest of the album admittedly.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.11, 11:15 PM   #13
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
Paul McCartney and maybe Fleetwood Mac really disappointed me in the 70's. Devo laid some really stale eggs in the 80's. PUFFY and HALCALI have sadly disappointed me recently, but they don't even write most of their own stuff, so it is unfair to really blame them. Perhaps Nakata is becoming monotonously one-note.

Yeah, Bring it on and Tokyo groove weren't that great. Pretty disappointing with Tokyo Groove since it was a 3 yr wait for it. HALCALI seems like they have established their grounds well enough to allow them to write for themselves at this point. I actually think they'd be better off considering these singles(hold Endless Night; crucify me if you must but I loved that entire single).

Bring it on was just boring. Honeycreeper outdoes it tenfold, I've been raping YOUKAI puffy a lot lately. Even with those 2 songs Shiina wrote for them, Bring it on still sucked for me. Splurge, JetCD and Spike are pretty hard to top though. I feel Cosmic Wonder outdoes the entire 2008 set of releases XD Sometimes it's not even the sound that kills it for me. "My Hero" sounded nice to me first few listens but when I payed attention more to the lyrics I found myself saying "These women are in their 30s! Why would anyone write this for them?".

I can put Do As Infinity up there with them. Kameda can do but so much I understand but most of Eternal Flame was boring save Night game and the title track. Timeless was one of their best songs since the come back, and it didn't even make the album.

Nakata been alright to me for the past year. Triangle wasn't Perfume's best but I definitely listened to it a lot. I also ate up the past 2 singles, VOICE doesn't have the newest of sounds but I still listen to it a lot, that b-side 575 was made just for me; Yuka & Ayaka MCing sounded so good. MEG's work without him however has been wonderful. JOURNEY was a breath of fresh air for me. Secret Adventure was just ok as was ALL of MAVERICK and only PASSPORT of the PASSPORT/PARIS single sounds good to me. Maybe she will part from Nakata permanently after her hiatus. I think it would be good for the both of them. As for capsule, I only like LOVE & LIES off Player. capsule never really does it for me anyways.

Now most disappointing album...I remember buying Miz/mizRock's first 2 albums (I think I still have or I possibly returned them) and they sucked in and out. Terrible Terrible shit. Didn't have internet at the time and I just wanted to try something out. Lucky I had brought Ai Otsuka's Love Cook at the same time. It doused and outweighed my disappointment.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.12, 02:02 PM   #14
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Mildly controversial perhaps as people are mentioning Bjork, but relatively speaking I was disappointed by Homogenic. Debut was a formative album, between There's More To Life Than This' toilet-door beats filter and the graceful eastern strings of Come To Me, she takes you on real journey, and a perfectly hook-y, melodic one as well. It seems there's little ground on the internet between haterz who say that she's pretentious and can't write a tune (I agree with that on her 00s albums) and fans/critics who say that she got developed and got better. And Post was at least in part quirky, distinctive and fun, as were the Sugarcubes from the limited amount I was able to hear of them.

Homogenic is a good record, and I liked the cut-up sounding beats on it (they were an innovation and I thought something was up with the CD) but it didn't do much for me bar Joga, Alarm Call, All is Full of Love... I wanted to take it back to the shop (and probably got more of a lush electronica fix out a friend's loan of Madonna's Ray of Light at the time) but I didn't because I was a "fan". I then proceeded to buy each of her following releases on the strength of one song (Hidden Place, Declare Independence) but I struggle to recall anything else. Another early musical favourite for me was Massive Attack, I loved Blue Lines, but that album's more soulful sound may have been down to a band member who departed shortly after. I can like their later stuff but listening to whole an album of it is just too dark and depressing.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.13, 06:59 PM   #15
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

tori amos - the beekeeper

after all the post opium impressionist work of to venus and back and into the stark and haunting scarlet's walk, this album was a punch in the gut. constructed as a band record, even tori has expressed regret as the recording of the album, as if it was rushed or mismanaged. while she has reclaimed most of the songs in live performances, most of her fans still cringe everytime "ireland" comes on.

that being said, she made it up with her next album, American Doll Posse XD

also, Shakira's Oral Fixation. the spanish prelude was experimental and visionary, the American equivalent was full of verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus chorus crap.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.14, 09:35 AM   #16
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by LoBFCanti View Post
I can put Do As Infinity up there with them. Kameda can do but so much I understand but most of Eternal Flame was boring save Night game and the title track. Timeless was one of their best songs since the come back, and it didn't even make the album.

I didn't hate Eternal Flame that much, I even have a physical copy of it, buut, I have to agree with you, with all this comeback shit the only track I can feel being from that band which disbanded on 2005 is "Timeless", awesome! I also have infinity 1!

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.03, 07:50 PM   #17
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

[rant]Two western artists and one eastern artist for me. Katy Perry is the first one. I was so psyched when I heard her first album. I absolutely loved it. It was great pop tinged rock (and sometimes rock tinged pop *COUGHhotncoldCOUGH*), and the ballads (especially Thinking of You) were to die for. I heard that she was coming out with a new album. "Ace of Base meets The Cardigans." Alright, I can handle that. "Something you can roller skate to." Okay, that's fine. California Gurls comes out, aaaaaand... it sounds almost exactly like Katy singing TiK ToK by Ke$ha. The entire album (Teenage Dream) is pop out the ass, and there's only one ballad. Of course, I've grown to love the album, but I want rocker Katy back. It was so much better, even if she didn't get as many hits.

Next artist: Nicki Minaj. I was waiting for this chick to tear up rap. In fact, she is the only rapper in general that I like. Her mixtapes were a little dry, basic rap, but her lyrics and flow were good. The official singles started coming out, and she has good taste in singles: Massive Attack (great), Your Love (great), Check It Out (a bit poppy, but great), and she released Roman's Revenge as a promo (best rap song ever). Then came Right Thru Me. Who knew the entire album (Pink Friday) would be filled with songs like that? Attempts at her singing (mostly failing), inspirational songs with piano, etc. It has grown on me, like Teenage Dream, and the bonus tracks are absolutely amazing and save the entire album, and there are still really awesome songs. It just wasn't the amazing rap album I wanted. It was the really good pop-rap album that I didn't want.

As for the east, Shimatani Hitomi has disappointed me with everything she's released since her Flare album. She cut her signature long hair, and it all went downhill (I'm thinking she's like Samson with breasts or something). Flare was okay, but the single after it, SMILES, was boring as hell. Then came the BEST & COVERS album. Then the Otoko Uta II album. And Mayonaka no Guitar. What the fuck. She turned into a cover artist, basically. A really boring cover artist, even. She went from amazing trance/ethnic/dancepop like Perseus, Angelus, Falco, Mermaid, and Garnet Moon to boring acoustic covers. It really disappointed me a lot because she was one of my favorite Japanese singers, and she sank to an awful low. She's releasing a new single that (thank god) isn't a cover, but is still acoustic, but I've seen the music video and it's a very pretty ballad; she might just redeem herself yet.[/rant]
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.03, 11:32 PM   #18
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Eeeehh...Nicki Minaj was never going to tear up female rap, let alone rap. Nicki Minaj is getting by solely on that gimmick of hers . This gimmick is extremely fun to listen to (though I can see it getting old), but outside of that...
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.14, 01:19 AM   #19
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
tori amos - the beekeeper

after all the post opium impressionist work of to venus and back and into the stark and haunting scarlet's walk, this album was a punch in the gut. constructed as a band record, even tori has expressed regret as the recording of the album, as if it was rushed or mismanaged. while she has reclaimed most of the songs in live performances, most of her fans still cringe everytime "ireland" comes on.

that being said, she made it up with her next album, American Doll Posse XD
Lol, and then she destroyed everything with Abnormally Attracted to Sin. Which is my vote. Well, that, and Zeitgeist by Smashing Pumpkins.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.14, 09:14 AM   #20
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Zeitgeist by Smashing Pumpkins.
Ha, this was not a disappointment for me because I expected worst. The band is nothing without James Iha and it's pretty sickening seeing Billy downplay Iha's involvement/importance in the band.