Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2010.02.02, 06:59 PM   #51
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

While we're on the topic of JUDY AND MARY, does anyone know why they broke up? Was it just the typical creative differences, etc deal?

It's truly tragic that they broke up when they could still pump out material like this:

JUDY AND MARY - motto

I wish they had "Behind the Music" for Japanese artists. =[
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.02, 07:34 PM   #52
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
While we're on the topic of JUDY AND MARY, does anyone know why they broke up? Was it just the typical creative differences, etc deal?
I always thought it was just "we're still friends but it's time to put JAM to rest now."

They decided to break up right before I got into them. That's how I remember it, but it's been sooooo long ago I can't be certain.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.02, 08:00 PM   #53
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

motto is definitely one of JAM's best songs and the only track by JAM I actually seek out and listen to amongst YUKI's solo works. the video is AWESOME and it was shot live (the sound source was done live in one take, so it differs from the actual studio recording) which is pretty awesome too.

JAM just went their separate ways peacefully more or less. YUKI started to do some random side projects in late 90's and early 00's with Mean Machine, NiNa, and Chara, and then less than a year after Judy and Mary's last album and final tour she released her first solo single and album and has been solo ever since. She also has been pretty adamant about not performing any JAM material and they haven't really made any statements as a group or done any sort of appearances together, so you could theorize there might be some bad blood, but since the group was started by YUKI and the bassist originally, I think it just time, they just wanted to work on other projects.

edit: this is pretty effing awesome
kisha ni notte piano cover

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.02.02 at 08:16 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.07, 02:34 AM   #54
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

Been listening to a bit of JAM today and thought I'd look up the translations that used to be available at http://www.geocities.com/judyandmarylyrics/ . Well since geocities has long since gone done they are no longer available, anyone know if they are now anywhere else on the internet?
Or will I have to study Japanese hard for a couple more years to get what she is saying....
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.07, 10:54 AM   #55
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Mr Sands View Post
Well since geocities has long since gone done they are no longer available, anyone know if they are now anywhere else on the internet?
Tada:

http://web.archive.org/web/200711071...andmarylyrics/

You might want to save them somewhere though, because I'm not sure how long the page will stay up.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.07, 06:47 PM   #56
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

HOLY SHIT.
akfjdslkjf
I've been fruitlessly looking for a way to get that site back, because I loved it and wanted nothing more than to see it again.
Thank you so freaking much! ;_____;
Old 2010.02.08, 03:49 AM   #57
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
Tada:

http://web.archive.org/web/200711071...andmarylyrics/

You might want to save them somewhere though, because I'm not sure how long the page will stay up.
Just about to come on here and say I just did this . Really useful site that, my garbled memories thought it was some sort of Google thing though.

Might put those translations on my site at some point, they need a new home.
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 11:04 PM   #58
kuro_neko

this guy has the most amazing guitar covers of YUKI's songs

fugainaiya

my favorite so far:

yorokobi no tane
Old 2010.02.23, 02:22 AM   #59
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Can I just say that I really, really like her new single? The first time I heard it with the almost reggae/loungey kinda intro, I was like "Eh??", but watching her performance and interview on MS really got the song under my skin; it's so warm and happy and unpretentious that it makes me want to go out and fall in love and have a reason to sing this song. Even the lyrics which I'd call out for being hackneyed and mawkish typically work here. I guess I'm a fan!

I was never familiar with JAM (still am not) but YUKI's music almost always strikes a chord with me, whether she's being angsty (Nemuri hime) or happy (all her JOY and after stuff).
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.23, 09:09 PM   #60
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Can I just say that I really, really like her new single? The first time I heard it with the almost reggae/loungey kinda intro, I was like "Eh??", but watching her performance and interview on MS really got the song under my skin; it's so warm and happy and unpretentious that it makes me want to go out and fall in love and have a reason to sing this song. Even the lyrics which I'd call out for being hackneyed and mawkish typically work here. I guess I'm a fan!

I was never familiar with JAM (still am not) but YUKI's music almost always strikes a chord with me, whether she's being angsty (Nemuri hime) or happy (all her JOY and after stuff).
I wasn't a huge fan when I heard the first clip at the website, and then the PV made me fall in love with it, it was a combination of the video and the song. The song itself has a chorus that just keeps on giving, it just goes on and on, I love the general feel of it, its so warm and happy. You can tell YUKI is singing with her entire self, it just gives me a really great feeling. I'm really excited about the new album, all 4 of her lead-in singles have been outstanding. Even Cosmic Box has managed to grow on me (although it is probably my least favorite of the 4).