Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.10.15, 02:25 PM   #921
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Haha comparing Mr bungle to TJ. Ahhh EMF.
Old 2012.10.15, 02:32 PM   #922
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
I see the problem now. You aren't as obsessed with Ringo's sexy kitten voice as I am!
We're drifting back to objectification station, but I definitely don't like a song just because someone I recognize is singing, unless its a good song and/or good performance. Areas again, where Variety underwhelms.
Old 2012.10.15, 03:12 PM   #923
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

You called my other thread a "I can't stop my mouth from drooling at the pretty lady" thread.

So you acknowledge the fact that she is a pretty lady? You must be objectifying her!

Seriously though, I think sexual objectification is absolutely necessary for the human race to continue.

Plus when I say Ringo, I mainly refer to her music, and the music is an object. Listening to a pretty lady singing while fantasizing about her is one of those very few hobbies that are actually victimless.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.15, 05:13 PM   #924
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

That second idea is probably the worst thing I have read in a thread that is entirely about Variety.
Old 2012.10.16, 08:37 AM   #925
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Variety isn't "Tokyo Jihen" to me. It's like "Tokyo Jihen with guest appearance by Shiina Ringo who has a solo project to work on."

Now what if Phase 1 had done something like that? It would have been interesting if after Electric Mole they said to her, "We did your stuff, now you do ours." Instead, it became "The Shiina Ringo band."

I think if Ringo had simply fronted Tokyo Jihen from the start, contributing most of the vocals, some lyrics, and NO music, and kept her solo work going, we would really have a "Tokyo Jihen" sound and by the time of Variety, it wouldn't be in such disarray.

All of the above is just random thoughtless speculation.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.16, 11:12 AM   #926
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Come on, deadgrandma, it’s not if the Mr.Bungle comparison is unwarranted, especially when you consider TJ’s camp and quirky aesthetic and Izawa’s circusy songwriting.
Both bands take a straightforward approach to genre wizardry as opposed to the unconscious (supposedly) fusion of ideas of SR’s solo work. Gaman also sounds like ’My First Mr.Bungle.’ The comparison holds up mainly for Variety, admittedly, where SR intended for the individual tracks to veer off in all sorts of directions. Mr.Bungle is kind of like Tokyo Jihen with solo Ringo’s brashness/crudeness.

I ’respect’ Variety more than Sports and Daihakken, because it was a bold experiment. I also like to see it as the Nobara album. It’s also quite similar to Kyouiku its rawness, and both represent alternate takes on a kind of DIY garage broadway rock band.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.16, 12:57 PM   #927
Inseu

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Variety isn't "Tokyo Jihen" to me. It's like "Tokyo Jihen with guest appearance by Shiina Ringo who has a solo project to work on."

I think if Ringo had simply fronted Tokyo Jihen from the start, contributing most of the vocals, some lyrics, and NO music, and kept her solo work going, we would really have a "Tokyo Jihen" sound and by the time of Variety, it wouldn't be in such disarray.

All of the above is just random thoughtless speculation.
Variety sounds just like a natural extension of Education and Adult. You really think "Active Fighting" and "Goldfish Box" are that different? How about "Superstar" and "My Private Life"? Isn't "OSCA" just as frantic as "Song of Apple"?

And there's no disarray to begin with...their music has always been delicately arranged pop/rock incorporating jazz/enka, and that in a way is the distinct TJ sound.
Old 2012.10.16, 03:26 PM   #928
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Come on, deadgrandma, it’s not if the Mr.Bungle comparison is unwarranted, especially when you consider TJ’s camp and quirky aesthetic and Izawa’s circusy songwriting.
Both bands take a straightforward approach to genre wizardry as opposed to the unconscious (supposedly) fusion of ideas of SR’s solo work. Gaman also sounds like ’My First Mr.Bungle.’ The comparison holds up mainly for Variety, admittedly, where SR intended for the individual tracks to veer off in all sorts of directions. Mr.Bungle is kind of like Tokyo Jihen with solo Ringo’s brashness/crudeness.

I ’respect’ Variety more than Sports and Daihakken, because it was a bold experiment. I also like to see it as the Nobara album. It’s also quite similar to Kyouiku its rawness, and both represent alternate takes on a kind of DIY garage broadway rock band.
I listen to Bungle a fair bit, never EVER did I think that it sounded remotely like Jihen. If they did then I'd be shocked.
Old 2012.10.16, 03:30 PM   #929
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Honestly? If they just went with the single albums OSCA and Killer Tune, kept the live versions of the other Variety songs, and ditched the Variety album altogether, Tokyo Jihen would not only have one fewer stain on their record but probably an improved rep....at least around here.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.16, 04:09 PM   #930
Inseu

Tokyo Jihen songs all sound better live...and they already have 5 DVDs for 5 albums...isn't it pointless to discuss how an album could "succeed" by replacing this and that? They're all available.

What baffles me is how everyone's so hard to please here, when Variety, Sanmon Gossip, Sports, and Daihakken are perfectly fine albums.

How many bands don't suck after releasing 1-2 classic albums? Yet Ringo kept releasing high quality music. I'm not really a new fan who just discovered this band, and I can honestly say Tokyo Jihen NEVER disappointed me once.