Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.02.20, 06:27 PM   #11
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

theres always ebay
Old 2012.02.20, 09:05 PM   #12
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Nevermind about the fuzzing noise in 三十二歳の別れ A SEPARATION?

Why is there kids' laughter and playing in ピノキオ PINOCCHIO?
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.20, 09:34 PM   #13
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Maybe Shiina Ringo's guitar-playing role in JCHI Rakujitsu (as we heard it) wasn't truly live. Not only do you get off-site footage, but you don't hear any of the acoustics of a concert venue with Shiina Ringo's instrumentals. Thus, if the truly on-site performance wasn't as good as what we've mentally associated with the DVD, then we'd have something more underwhelming than we'd expect, or we'd have a not-completely-live tracklist.
Eh, is that so important when almost all high-profile bands play alongside tracks in their concerts (invisible choir, and sounds a handful of invisible keyboards can't produce)? I wouldn't mind if it wasn't "completely-live".

I guess the biggest disappointment here for me is Superstar. They did Phase 1 when Phase 2 did a way better arrangement (it's okay, the composer bassist is still there, haha). But, I suppose the difference and rarity of the arrangement since it was played only on a single tour/live gives it an arguable right to be there.

I guess we'll just have to compile our own best lives of mp3-rips from shows. )
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.21, 10:30 AM   #14
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by waranghira View Post
I guess the biggest disappointment here for me is Superstar. They did Phase 1 when Phase 2 did a way better arrangement (it's okay, the composer bassist is still there, haha). But, I suppose the difference and rarity of the arrangement since it was played only on a single tour/live gives it an arguable right to be there.
I don't want this to be too abrasive, but I can't agree with you. Phase 1 version is better because:

- All the Phase 2 live versions are super sappy (mainly the intro)
- I hate how a relatively minor guitar line from the original became the main riff in the Phase 2 version
- Hirama guitar solo > Ukigumo solo
- Phase 1 version had better build up with two choppy choruses to tease before sending you home with the full thing.
Old 2012.02.23, 09:06 PM   #15
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I don't want this to be too abrasive, but I can't agree with you. Phase 1 version is better because:

- All the Phase 2 live versions are super sappy (mainly the intro)
- I hate how a relatively minor guitar line from the original became the main riff in the Phase 2 version
- Hirama guitar solo > Ukigumo solo
- Phase 1 version had better build up with two choppy choruses to tease before sending you home with the full thing.
Yep, can't agree with you, either. Mainly because:

- Piano intro sets the mood better (I'm talking live here) with more contrast to the latter part of the song
- The repetitive main riff is to the point and more pure showing you don't need a lot of talking to get it done. The repetition actually gives it charm like an anthem.
- I don't really see the beauty in Hirama's solo, find it boring and lacking drama (kinda ironic in theory when Ukigumo's solo is centered mainly on the main riff, but at least it shifts upward, and finally breaks out from the riff in the end and into the final chorus)
- Phase 2's chorus build up (and why it's better): Light chorus > Hard chorus > HARDER CHORUS (Insane tremolo strumming > Delicious angsty bends and higher bends ending with the Cm 1n1/2 bend). Again more contrast, dynamics, drama.

additional (above were the replies):
- I fell in love with Ukigumo's 2nd prechorus (hammer-pull-off then harmonics)

And the biggest point:
- I can't really imagine how anyone would prefer Hirama's coda (each round of progression are the same) over Ukigumo's when Ukigumo's harmonics + bend is so delicious, not to mention what an epic way to end the song. That's the word: EPIC.

Last edited by waranghira : 2012.02.23 at 09:12 PM.
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.24, 09:56 AM   #16
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

*Maou is excited*

I like your points and concede many of them because I actually do like the much of Uki's guitar work over Hirama's in the song. Particularly, verse 2 and the coda. Howeva, I'll leave a few more notes for you:

- Hirama's solo isn't great (one of his worst actually, EM Gibs is my favorite), but I give him more credit for originality. For the most part, I like Uki's solos and wish he had gotten more. Unfortunately, Superstar is his worst as well.
- If Uki's second pre-chorus is what I think it is (it's been a long time since I've listened to any version of Superstar), I hate it. It's the dying yak sound, isn't it?
- The album intro was my favorite part of the song. The slick harmonics backed by the guitar metronome was fantastic along with the main riff. It had a wonderful music box feel which was unique for Phase 2.
- If the Phase 2 main riff is supposed to show beauty in simplicity, why is it more complicated than the Phase 1 verse? Seems backwards.

Please stay! I've never had somebody around here that can/wants to talk about guitar work. I've been dying for this day.
Old 2012.02.24, 04:09 PM   #17
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

otakurama!!!!!!
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.24, 07:25 PM   #18
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Whoa. Whoa. I...

I...

I don't hate this version of Fukushuu...???? I even kind of... like it?

WHAT WORLD IS THIS??

I thought I hated Fukushuu....

*mind blown*
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.24, 07:58 PM   #19
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Hey, frecklegirl, are you planning on doing translate on 32sai wakare? I am really keen to read those in particular! No rush though :-)
Old 2012.02.25, 03:30 PM   #20
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

yes, absolutely! I've been using all my free time to study Japanese for the past couple months but I'm able to get back into translating now. I'm about to go gather the lyrics...
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote