Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.11.20, 05:12 PM   #441
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

It sounds like ramen to me. In fact, I was going to mention the ramen line when I first posted about the song, but since I am always getting the lines to Tokyo Jihen/Shiina Ringo songs wrong (the English ones, but also sometimes Japanese lines that I mis-hear as English), I thought it was better to wait until others talked about it! (And especially I didn't want to hear: "Ramen? Just because they are Japanese doesn't mean they mention ramen in their songs") I don't agree that she sings it like it's something important though. In fact I think the ramen is a symbol of mundane, possibly a bit depressed, life (given the lines that follow).
Old 2009.11.21, 08:19 AM   #442
RollOverHobo

RollOverHobo pleased at least somebody

omg I just found out about this....funky song is funky and i dig it =)
Old 2009.11.21, 09:30 AM   #443
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Thanks for the rough translation, Kuro. I love that "Paper Driver" line. Hahaha. I definitely think I'll be buying this single, particularly if a new album isn't announced soon, and the b-side is good.
Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
I like this song a lot; nice bass, rich vocal harmonies etc. One thing that strikes me as a bit odd is that people have been mentioning an electronic element in the song. I'm pretty certain that what some here perceive as a synth is actually a Clavinet. Its being processed through some dynamic filters and perhaps something else that I am not going to worry about identifying right now, but in the end a Clavinet is no more electronic than an electric guitar.
Well, I think the opening sound is a synthesizer, because they would need an electronic element to the song to keep it at a consistent 120bpm. Then again, maybe it's a clav played to a 120bpm tick track...

@fluffie: Ringo has sung about many mundane things; the ramen reference fits right in with her early lyrics. I've just come to appreciate the contrast between what she sings and how she sings it.
Old 2009.11.21, 10:03 AM   #444
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I hate the video because the moonwalking is lame, but I like the song very much. I like it enough to actually buy the single. The only real negative for me is that the start of the vocal melody is too much like Oiran's.
Old 2009.11.21, 10:05 AM   #445
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
Thanks for the rough translation, Kuro. I love that "Paper Driver" line. Hahaha. I definitely think I'll be buying this single, particularly if a new album isn't announced soon, and the b-side is good.

@fluffie: Ringo has sung about many mundane things; the ramen reference fits right in with her early lyrics. I've just come to appreciate the contrast between what she sings and how she sings it.
I second that thank you as well :3 and Entry№1 I conquer with you on the ramen reference. It reminds me a lot of her old stuff.

Morphine is my favorite example:
"Since there are four birds on me
I have some natto at my house
You know what, I have glycoge"
Its kinda like "oh wow, congrats you have natto at your house." XD But I like both the lines.

The whole making ramen thing could also help emphasize how lazy this guy is, in life and in relationships. He's clearly not making anything fancy and it sounds like he's making instant noodles XD
Old 2009.11.21, 10:06 AM   #446
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

^ I didn't even know Morphine talks about natto and it's my favourite Ringo song...

There's a piece in a certain 'Saizo', which I'm guessing is some kind of JP news publication thing, about the business side of things that led up to SR starring in a CM. You can kind of guess what it talks about.

It feels as if there's been thousands of non-music/redundant Ringo releases (Not SG, stfu) over the last two years, which is a bit =/ SR/TJ's sales have significantly declined? (I know there's a recession but still)

Why is it that although I don't think this song is amazing or anything more than simply 'good', I just can't stop listening to it?

Rumour is that the B-Side sounds a bit like BB Queen...but I'll shut up and go away now *flees*

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.11.21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2009.11.21, 10:57 AM   #447
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

^ You've got my hopes up now. You better be right!

I'm actually a little amazed that you quoted Morphine, because that's exactly what song I was referring to! I actually don't understand at all what that song is about, but I think it's really underrated. "Aisaika no Choushoku" is also really mundane at times, talking about "rare tv" and grocery shopping. lol.
Old 2009.11.21, 11:18 AM   #448
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
^ You've got my hopes up now. You better be right!

I'm actually a little amazed that you quoted Morphine, because that's exactly what song I was referring to! I actually don't understand at all what that song is about, but I think it's really underrated. "Aisaika no Choushoku" is also really mundane at times, talking about "rare tv" and grocery shopping. lol.
Yeah, there she talks about fruit being good for smoking people or something like that, hahaha. She's really genius at random lyrics.
Old 2009.11.21, 11:24 AM   #449
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Yattsuke Shigoto too.

In fact, she created Sanmon Gossip with the intention of conveying a sense of the 'everyday' (Even if some of the lyrics/songs aren't entirely representative of that)

And as you all know, she likes singing about death, which seems to get a mention in every other song. Including this one.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.11.21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 2009.11.21, 01:26 PM   #450
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I don't mind mundane lyrics, I just thought this song sounded a bit more sophisticated than that. Paired with the style of the video and the way she's dressed, it really surprised me that there's no sophistication to the lyrics. But I guess that's the point. I just think it sounds dumb, having it thrown at you so early, and in a language that you (I) can understand. The high-class-sounding music and the low-class-sounding lyrics are already clashing before you have the chance to brace yourself.

Regardless of all this, I do enjoy the song. It's just that one line that bothers me. Maybe it's partly because ramen seems like a stereotype of Japanese culture to me, having been exposed to certain Americans teenagers who love everything Japanese and who rave about things like ramen simply because it's from that particular country. I also usually cringe whenever a musician mentions anything pop-culture related (cellphones, texting, tv shows, cheesy actors, jeans, etc.) in their music, and so the ramen line seems to be attacking my comfort from all possible angles.
Closed Thread