Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.11.21, 02:34 PM   #451
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
I don't mind mundane lyrics, I just thought this song sounded a bit more sophisticated than that. Paired with the style of the video and the way she's dressed, it really surprised me that there's no sophistication to the lyrics. But I guess that's the point. I just think it sounds dumb, having it thrown at you so early, and in a language that you (I) can understand. The high-class-sounding music and the low-class-sounding lyrics are already clashing before you have the chance to brace yourself.

Regardless of all this, I do enjoy the song. It's just that one line that bothers me. Maybe it's partly because ramen seems like a stereotype of Japanese culture to me, having been exposed to certain Americans teenagers who love everything Japanese and who rave about things like ramen simply because it's from that particular country. I also usually cringe whenever a musician mentions anything pop-culture related (cellphones, texting, tv shows, cheesy actors, jeans, etc.) in their music, and so the ramen line seems to be attacking my comfort from all possible angles.
reading your post a few points came to mind. how are the lyrics "low class?" she isn't rapping about bitches and hoes. the sophistication does not lay in what she says, it is in how she says it, and obviously once you translate from one language to another your corrupting that aspect irrevocably. the structure for this song and how the verses flow, down to the insane and obscure 4 kanji compounds are all classic Ringo.

secondly, the issue with ramen and your comment about Japanophiles just seems a bit odd. in my experience it is always the kids who run around calling other people otaku who are the worst closet cases. despite what you may think you know about japan, fact of the matter is that almost everyone eats ramen. It is modern Japan's equivalent of fast food, quick cheap and easy. For busy Tokyo socialites on the go, it fits in with cell phones and conbini and bikes in this culture of on-the fly fast and easy lifestyle. Like Ringo references, its a full meal in less than 3 minutes time. I'm actually surprised people are surprised about the ramen, as the part is sung in English and only at the very start, serving to lead you into the bulk of the song and not referenced again. This isn't uncommon in Ringo's catalogue structure wise.

yeah, I realize I am being a bitch right now but I'm kind of sick of watching people piss on a work because of personal insecurities and general lack of cultural knowledge. Like the music for the music and stop microanalyzing dumb Americans who blindly worship anything different and exotic. So what, you didn't understand the lyrics and your impression was the music was "high class?" and then you read the translation and was disappointed it didn't live up to what you had in your head, due partly to a reference to ramen? isn't that just another type of exoticism and objectification based on your concepts of a foreign language or culture? is that any different from "certain Americans teenagers who love everything Japanese and who rave about things like ramen simply because it's from that particular country?" come on.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.11.21 at 02:45 PM.
Old 2009.11.21, 03:21 PM   #452
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I didn't mean to sound like I was being critical of anyone. I have no problem with people being fascinated with Japan or its culture. I obviously have some respect for the country if I listen to Japanese music. I've even been to Otakon a couple times. I just come from a town where in many cases the fascination was a bit over the top, to the point of obsession. And again, I don't have a problem with people who love Japan, but the memory of kids from my high school who got a bit ridiculous with it does affect how I react to something like this. That part of what I was saying is more of a personal thing rather than a global truth that I expect everyone to relate to. It's not really a big deal to me, I just don't like the first line of the song. But I do like ramen.

As for the "low class" remark, I just meant mundane or ordinary. To me, it didn't fit with the vibe of the song.

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2009.11.21 at 03:27 PM.
Old 2009.11.21, 03:50 PM   #453
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Oh, that reminds me of that old Desiree song, 'Life'

I don't want to see a ghost
It's a sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news

Life, oh life, oh life, oh life
Doo, doo doo doo
Life, oh life, oh life, oh life
Doo, doo doo doo

>___________________>

Another thing about 3min...if Michael Jackson didn't die, would this song sound completely different/even exist? I hope we get a different album version, and this arrangement/video serves as a MJ tribute.

Then again the 80s MJish dance pop goes with the Sports theme, because that's the kind of stuff they play in gym classes. =P And speaking of 80s, this song kind of reminds me of Oliver Cheatham's Get Down to Saturday Night. Mmm, I wish it was longer than 3 minutes...she could have done more with it. One good thing about say, Ryuukou and Roudousha is that they kept ramping up as the song progressed. 3min ended when it was just getting good.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.11.21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 2009.11.21, 07:09 PM   #454
chibijelly

chibijelly has had more than 15 seconds of fame

So, about that single... I'm still excited.
Old 2009.11.21, 07:25 PM   #455
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
As for the "low class" remark, I just meant mundane or ordinary. To me, it didn't fit with the vibe of the song.
That's probably the main appeal of Ringo for me. She can take a situation about everyday life and and make it seem important and beautiful with her witty lyrics and lush, catchy music. It's like there's no difference between the sophisticated and mundane, they're both wonderful and fantastic.

last.fm
Old 2009.11.21, 10:18 PM   #456
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
reading your post a few points came to mind. how are the lyrics "low class?" she isn't rapping about bitches and hoes. the sophistication does not lay in what she says, it is in how she says it, and obviously once you translate from one language to another your corrupting that aspect irrevocably. the structure for this song and how the verses flow, down to the insane and obscure 4 kanji compounds are all classic Ringo.

secondly, the issue with ramen and your comment about Japanophiles just seems a bit odd. in my experience it is always the kids who run around calling other people otaku who are the worst closet cases. despite what you may think you know about japan, fact of the matter is that almost everyone eats ramen. It is modern Japan's equivalent of fast food, quick cheap and easy. For busy Tokyo socialites on the go, it fits in with cell phones and conbini and bikes in this culture of on-the fly fast and easy lifestyle. Like Ringo references, its a full meal in less than 3 minutes time. I'm actually surprised people are surprised about the ramen, as the part is sung in English and only at the very start, serving to lead you into the bulk of the song and not referenced again. This isn't uncommon in Ringo's catalogue structure wise.

yeah, I realize I am being a bitch right now but I'm kind of sick of watching people piss on a work because of personal insecurities and general lack of cultural knowledge. Like the music for the music and stop microanalyzing dumb Americans who blindly worship anything different and exotic. So what, you didn't understand the lyrics and your impression was the music was "high class?" and then you read the translation and was disappointed it didn't live up to what you had in your head, due partly to a reference to ramen? isn't that just another type of exoticism and objectification based on your concepts of a foreign language or culture? is that any different from "certain Americans teenagers who love everything Japanese and who rave about things like ramen simply because it's from that particular country?" come on.
I'm with neko 100% on this one. I appreciate this song 5 times more after paying attention to the lyrics and translating the 7 or 8 words I didnt understand so the song made more sense. At first I worried that the whole funk attempt fell alittle short but the lyrics are more funky than the music. They sound like hip hop lyrics but the GOOD kind of hip hop and funk lyrics, not the stuff you hear gangsters rappin about. They fit really well. If theres any problem with her english lyrics its that they arent as perfect as her japanese ones.

I dont understand your complaint at ramen. It is the pizza of japan but you can get it in a 100yen box (though it does kind of suck this way). Its something almost any person living in japan can relate to and paints a pretty clear image in your head. I dont prefer such straightforward lyrics in english but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ramen reference. Just because some nerds caught on to an aspect of japanese culture doesnt really say much about that aspect of the culture in its own context. The fact that they've caught on to something unrelated to anime from watching anime attests of how everyday it is.

As I said, I like this song a lot more now thanks to the lyrics and repeated listens. I think its a little more shallow than my favorite ringo tracks but if I can accept that KZK and early jihen days are not going to happen again then I can be happy with this.

Last edited by lazer85 : 2009.11.21 at 10:23 PM.
Old 2009.11.22, 07:19 AM   #457
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

As for my evaluation, the song is nice enough, although I don`t think that ending the song at 3 minutes was a wise decision. Unlike blur`s "song 2", the abrupt end of 3:00 actually makes it feel sloppy and anti-climatic, instead of "smart" which is what they were going for, I guess.

still, its nice and enjoyable. Nothing to fear so far...

EDIT just to mention that recently, I enjoy these songs a lot more without watching the videoclips.
When I see the PVs, its like they detract from the music experience for me. They feel a bit artificial and shallow...
I definitely enjoy this track more if I am not hearing it within the context of a PV.

Last edited by bebio : 2009.11.22 at 07:23 AM.
Old 2009.11.22, 09:31 AM   #458
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by bebio View Post

EDIT just to mention that recently, I enjoy these songs a lot more without watching the videoclips.
When I see the PVs, its like they detract from the music experience for me. They feel a bit artificial and shallow...
I definitely enjoy this track more if I am not hearing it within the context of a PV.
like a woman who has a beautiful voice over the phone, but when you meet her in person its like

ive never bought any of the SR or TJ pv dvds for the same reason you described.

it helps me enjoy the music more when all the marketing fluff is stripped away.

my attention span isnt that short that i need to see her being dragged by a horse at a rodeo to keep me listening.

its a trap that visual kei bands take advantage of well. they look cool but their music for the most part BLOWS.
Old 2009.11.22, 02:51 PM   #459
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I agree with your guys for the most part but there is a certain art to a music video. For me enjoying a video comes only after I've thoroughly enjoyed the song for some period of time. Before that it just kind of puts ideas in my head about the song that I dont like. I think this video is kind of nice, I like the concept, dont really know how much it matches the song but its crafty and cool. I wish I had the self control not to watch it until after the album came out.

I don't usually like ringo/jihen videos all that much either, I think this is one of the better ones.

The moonwalking was fun until after every tried it once, showing Ringo doing it again just kind of looked like a little kid who just figured out how to ride a bike and is trying way to hard to impress their father. But definitely liked the editing and 4 setting idea.
Old 2009.11.23, 11:00 AM   #460
nappyhead

nappyhead pleased at least somebody

Listened to the song first and then the video, reminds me of listening to a 80s-90s R&B station, after the fifth or sixth time I've listened to it I finally hear the ramen part. It's starting to sound closer to the 'Adult' after each play.
The video is a nice touch, though why she didn't do anything to Kameda or Uki is beyond me