Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.12.16, 09:54 AM   #1151
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Compared to any of the Final Fantasies, I have to agree. Vagrant Story is an extremely underrated game. It had the coolest town, the coolest bosses, the most hardcore synthesizing-like equipment system, and the coolest ending credits. Not to mention above-average soundtrack, graphics, and story. Oh, and let's not forget NewGame+, and the way the second playthrough works more like an expansion, with the unlocked side-dungeons you couldn't get into during your first playthrough. I love how every weapon you wield, has its own unique attributes based on its own history, plus the history of all the parent weapons that were used to produce it.

Vagrant Story is one of the most brilliant games to kill lots of time with, without feeling so much like you are simply going through a level grind to get bigger numbers associated with your character.
BuuuUUUuut, as you my dear glath will agree, the best story in a game up to day is still with Xenogears. And it doesn't look like there will be anything like it again.

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
I've been playing Ocarina of time all night now! it's still one of the most fun games ever created, and the Master Quest adds a much needed bit of difficulty to keep it hard enough, that said I've not really been doing that much in it! I'm only at Zora's area (just finished getting the Goron's Spiritual Stone) the game looks awesome still considering it was about ten years ago it was released (being able to run it on a PC with higher resolutions and all kinds of tweaks helps too).
There is a high resolution Texture pack, as well as a perfect working widescreen mode available on emus for Ocarina of Time. Makes the game look MUCH better.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.16, 09:56 AM   #1152
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
There is a high resolution Texture pack, as well as a perfect working widescreen mode available on emus for Ocarina of Time. Makes the game look MUCH better.
Yeah, I'm running that texture pack right now, really makes some parts of the game look incredible.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.16, 02:28 PM   #1153
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
Yeah, I'm running that texture pack right now, really makes some parts of the game look incredible.
Since you can only one of both at a time I decided for widescreen because just the change in aspect ration is something I can't live without anymore today.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.16, 03:06 PM   #1154
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Damn, I want to play Final Fantasy VIII again.

I wonder if I can find ittttttttttttt.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.16, 10:14 PM   #1155
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by bromithia View Post
Damn, I want to play Final Fantasy VIII again.

I wonder if I can find ittttttttttttt.

EA re-released the PC versions of VII and VIII a couple years back. They were quite pricey prior to that, but I think I got mine for about $30ish
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.17, 09:18 AM   #1156
merman

merman is an asset to this community

They're a bitch to get running under XP (and surely Vista too) - especially VIII. I think VII has some kind of re-release, Ultima Edition which should work, but newer graphic cards are not supported by FFVIII, so you have to resort to playing with shitty graphics and possibly other issues too (although PCs are much faster than back then now, so the software rendering isn't slow)...
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.17, 09:22 AM   #1157
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Or even easier just play the PS1 version on the epsxe emulator?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.17, 09:24 AM   #1158
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Yup, that's definitely easier It's the same thing with the first Metal Gear Solid, it's impossible to get running on newer PCs.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.17, 10:08 AM   #1159
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Are you talking brand new PCs, merman? Cause I'm on a two-year-old Dell XPS with Windows XP, and FF8 runs fine.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.17, 02:15 PM   #1160
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Nah, I'd rather just play it on my PS2. I'm sure its lying around in a box somewhere, I just don't know which one. Playing it on the computer would feel a little odd to me, anyway. :B
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote