Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.06.18, 07:52 AM   #131
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts
Default moved from "Tokyo Jihen New Single & Fall Tour"

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I agree with this statement. At times, I liked what I head, but the song never really goes anywhere. It clearly failed to live up to CD Japans description since it wasn't guitar driven at all, but none of us really thought that would be accurate, right? This is yet another song where Ukigumo simply isn't needed in the mix. If you took him out and added more Izawa, you wouldn't even notice Uki was gone. That's also partially because of Kameda. The dude is a super hero. He's the driving force of the song. His work in Phase 2 has been superior to the rest of the band (most of the time).

Overall, it's an average song by an average band.
let me tell you, there is nothing that sounds quite like Jihen, even when you say they sound average. When I am out and about and in stores or listening to the radio or watching television, I don't hear anything CLOSE to them. They have a certain stamp, a certain style, that is unique to them. I find it rather sad but actually not surprising that people have responded like this to the PV. From the reaction to Adult, to the HF, and now to this new work, its all been in such a similar vein. People spend so much time talking about Ringo and sitting in a forum that nothing the artists will *ever* do will live up to the expectations raised.

it comes down to a matter of personal taste, obviously if you don't like the song and think its crap, your entitled to your opinion.

but I think calling the song average and the band average is a little much.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 07:54 AM   #132
Ananda

Ananda pleased at least somebody

That's also partially because of Kameda. The dude is a super hero. He's the driving force of the song. His work in Phase 2 has been superior to the rest of the band (most of the time).
I so agree, Kameda is awesome on that song.

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I don't think its too early for the PV, single drops in 3 weeks so they are trying to raise some buzz.
Moreover it's always like that with the big releases in Japan.
Old 2007.06.18, 08:13 AM   #133
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Panties.....Ringo.....megaphone.....shirtless Hata.....black hair.....Ringo.....Kameda rocks.....panties.....Izawa shakin his head.....hair.....white capri pants.....Uki.....panties......song stops....nope it started again.....fast cuts.....panties.....

Good stuff.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 08:26 AM   #134
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The part in the vid I do like (other than the beginning where the girl drinks from the flask) is when the dancers run by and theyre apparently going 180
Old 2007.06.18, 09:23 AM   #135
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Aggghhh, I need more new Tokyo Jihen!
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 10:36 AM   #136
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

My first reaction? I'm happy with it, it's not a serious song, or a serious PV, and it bodes well for a high energy album and tour. I expect her/them to wow me somewhere in what comes out soon, it doesn't have to be just yet, and probably better if it is being saved. This is a nice start, and a welcome post-HF Shiina. I agree with Kuro Neko, and I really think NIMH says it best...

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Panties.....Ringo.....megaphone.....shirtless Hata.....black hair.....Ringo.....Kameda rocks.....panties.....Izawa shakin his head.....hair.....white capri pants.....Uki.....panties......song stops....nope it started again.....fast cuts.....panties.....

Good stuff.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 11:19 AM   #137
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Just a couple of quick comments:

Being unique doesn't mean you're good. Many artists are unique, but that doesn't save them.
Granny panties do not make a song or video good.
This is one of the worst vocal performance SR has ever put on. Almost as bad as Gamble on HF.

Last edited by Maou : 2007.06.18 at 11:26 AM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 11:45 AM   #138
Silverrime

Silverrime is headed in the right direction

My first impression was that I didn't like it one bit, but to give it a fair shot, I listened to it again without watching the video.

Overall, I concur on the 'average' label being handed out. Not in that it's the same as everything else that's out there, but simply that it's not a bad song, but not that great either. If my playlist happened upon it, I would listen, but I'd not seek it out.
Silverrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 11:59 AM   #139
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Just a couple of quick comments:

Being unique doesn't mean you're good. Many artists are unique, but that doesn't save them.
Granny panties do not make a song or video good.
This is one of the worst vocal performance SR has ever put on. Almost as bad as Gamble on HF.
I couldn't agree less with the part about vocals

artists change, especially their voices, that just happens from age and things like smoking and such, Ringo debuted in her late teens, it is completely unrealistic for us to expect her to sound like she does on MM or SS, however, personally, I find appeal in the release so far has been in reaction to her vocals, no one has that voice, period. It isn't the lyrics persay or even the music, but the way those syllables roll off her tongue and the way she half vocalizes/half sings the song, I find it captivating.

and being unique doesn't make you good, your right, but it saves you from being "average" which is what I was commenting about. Bands like Jihen won't always make music you will want to listen to, but at least they are actually publishing music that probes the listeners past the point of record sales. I feel like Jihen is one of the better main stream bands out there today, actually making music that can be defined as genre-bending or trend-making instead of just cycling through periods and genres, even one's own previous backcatalogue, regurgitating watered-down versions of already published work.

But it all just chalks up to personal taste, a look in the "currently listening to" thread will sum that up.

I mean, its kind of ironic that most of the major sellers out there (a good portion being the musical companions/inspirations from NANA, ala Mika Nakashima, Anna Tsuchiya, Olivia, etc) are largely influenced (read: re-used, cliched, recycled trash)from various artists such as early era Ringo but within Ringo's very own fan community we are so quick to shoot down new work before it even ever truly launches.

PV related: yes to panties-the dancing makes me think of that random performer someone dug up a while ago who would freak Silent Hill dance to Shuraba in Shinjuku, XD. Maybe someone saw it and was inspired?

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2007.06.18 at 12:03 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 12:16 PM   #140
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
and being unique doesn't make you good, your right, but it saves you from being "average" which is what I was commenting about.
They are average because they are neither good nor bad. It's not because just any one could create the songs they make. Songs anyone can make are "generic."