Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.07.13, 04:01 PM   #71
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh whoa, this is weird. o_o Still, I'm excited to hear news from them! I can't really hear what the song is like though, so I hope the full version comes out soon! >_<
Old 2008.07.13, 04:25 PM   #72
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the reaction to this clip is really surprising. I'm not crazy about the song but it sounds like it fits the drama well...it accomplishes it's purpose...just as the music she wrote for Kabuki worked really well in context for that as well. I think Ringo, especially after Sakuran, is experimenting writing music for other people. I mean how long is she going to have a realistic solo career writing and performing her own music? I think at the moment she is kind of feeling her possibilities out to secure a real long term status in the industry, which isn't a bad thing at all. However, this song isn't something she wrote for herself, you can tell that. I sincerely doubt she wrote this for herself and culled it for TOKIO from her own personal stock....it seems pretty apparent that she wrote the song for this use in mind, otherwise I doubt we would get such an arrangement and final product. Either way, this isn't a TJ song or a Ringo song, so there is no reason to assume any future endeavors/succeeding work will have anything even remotely in common with this work.

that being said, TJ is performing at least 3 times in August, at Fuji Rock and then twice at their very own Society of the Citizens 2, so I think we will probably get to hear some new material most definitely, so we should all just sit tight and hope for this crap to pass.
Old 2008.07.13, 04:34 PM   #73
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I don't understand why you have such a pessimistic outlook at performing, Neko. "How long is she going to have a solo career" Look at Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Sting -- hell, Cher and Madonna (even if they dont write for themselves.) The Stones and Aerosmith have been around forever. They may not all be super mass-market, but all are well-respected, profitable, and successful. This goes along with some of your previous sentiments of "She's a mother s she can't do this" "Shes not 20 anymore so she can't do this" I know Shiina was immensely popular at a young age, but that doesn't mean she has/had the shelf-life of other pop acts like Brittany Spears or New Kids or whatever.

I think theres still some "grounds" to talk about the song since it sounds very very likely that Tokyo Jihen is playing on the track, excepting the vocals. Either that or its the best Jihen cover band out there.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2008.07.13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 2008.07.13, 05:37 PM   #74
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm also quite surprised at everyone's overreaction to this song. At least this time she actually wrote the song so the criticism is fair, I guess, but if she wrote the awesome kabuki song and then this nonsense, that doesn't mean that she's erratic now but rather that she can compose for whatever the situation calls for.
Old 2008.07.13, 05:40 PM   #75
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The criticism for Variety is more than justified.
Old 2008.07.13, 05:51 PM   #76
HEDOfloe

I meant the criticism at her for Variety. The "oh noes she can't write music anymore even though she didn't pen a single song".
Old 2008.07.13, 06:01 PM   #77
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I meant the criticism at her for Variety. The "oh noes she can't write music anymore even though she didn't pen a single song".
I don't think anyone was saying that...I think the criticism was levied at her decision not to write songs. She rightly deserved our scorn for allowing talentless (in comparison to her) hacks to write an entire album, she is the leader, afterall.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2008.07.13, 06:09 PM   #78
HEDOfloe

No, it was definitely both those things. I don't mean to point fingers but the one that stands out the most was Canto (I think) exclaiming that all her super powers had gone down the toilet.
Old 2008.07.13, 06:12 PM   #79
Tokyo Jihad

Its hard to listen to Variety without thinking that. Even if they're not written by her, they're still performed by her and the band.
Old 2008.07.13, 06:13 PM   #80
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah, notice how every single artist you listed is foreign....point of the fact is that Ringo is in the Japanese music scene and it tends to push artists aside once they reach a certain age. You should read Tori Amos autobiography, Piece by Piece. Once she reached a certain age her record label pretty much was like okay you aren't going to sell records anymore cuz your old so we aren't going to promote you. Aging is one thing, but aging and being a woman is a completely different story. Ringo is very very smart and I think she knows that at some point she is going to stop being a recording artist and work on the producing/song writing aspect. This is all speculation but there is a point where I'm sure she is going to withdraw, she can't go on forever.

I think a lot of what I think about Ringo is actually influenced by Tori Amos, who kind of led a similar career path and had the whole same failed marriage/kid thing go on. There was a period in which she withdrew and her music changed radically cuz she was very conscious of her image due to her child.

I'm not pessimistic. Becoming a mother changes everything and I think it is unrealistic to expect Ringo to 1) make the music she made before and 2) remain a recording artist forever. Such endeavors as starting a band and having them eventually write their own cd, while she took a back seat and contributed vox, combined with the scoring and songwriting she has done lately, just points to the fact that she is branching out and possibly expanding her scope. That is all I meant.
Closed Thread