Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2013.01.15, 10:16 PM   #491
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I was gonna comment on the 21th century boys film too as an example of weird Japanese cinema. Then again, the manga/movie is really 20th century boy ;-)

I think it much stems from "powerful" TV companies that produce cinema too. They seem to do it with the same people and gadgets with which they produce TV. Then again I'm not an expert but watching Nittere (channel 4) and then 20th century boy just gives me that impression. It's TV drama in a cinema. Yes Japan has their own rules, not only concerning cinema, TV drama, movies, music and whatever else. If you go look at any another country its probably more or less the same way, they have their own standards. Not saying this or that is bad, but I agree that the Japanese cinema could be much better.
Now, one good example is Moteki, this time produced by TV Tokyo. Nonetheless awesome movie IMO.

To sum it short. If a movie is produced by Nittere, it's not even worth considering, it's crap. TV Tokyo does produce good crap :-)
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.15, 10:34 PM   #492
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I also saw the Hobbit @ cinema some weeks back. 2D, 24fps. It made me go home and watch the ring trilogy again. This time the extended versions. Damn that's 3/4 hours per movie. I'm never gonna watch the ring trilogy again. It just takes too much time.

Looking forward to Cloud Atlas, it's not coming to Japan until March 15. But my secret girlfriend Bae Doona is in there. So is Agent Smith from Rivendell!

Bae Doona as Sadako
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.16, 09:29 PM   #493
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I think it much stems from "powerful" TV companies that produce cinema too. They seem to do it with the same people and gadgets with which they produce TV. Then again I'm not an expert but watching Nittere (channel 4) and then 20th century boy just gives me that impression. It's TV drama in a cinema.
Yeah this. They hire the same people who work on the TV show to produce the film adaptation, so you get a lot of television aesthetic in films. That's a minus.

A plus is that if a good manga/TV show gets adapted, it's got a compelling plot line that cuts through the cheapness, like Death Note or Amalfi. Paradoxically, some TV shows have a "cinematic" look because the techniques are so close, so you get shows that look expensive(ly cheap), like Ryomaden. And of course actors migrate between TV and film like nobody's business. Nakitani Miki and Iseya Yusuke tear it up in Shirasu Jiro in between features.

Think TV = film in Japan, and you'll never be disappointed. Hell, it's all the same on a 40" LCD.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.17, 05:32 PM   #494
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Anyone going to Sundance? If so, check out the film I sound designed.

TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.18, 10:39 AM   #495
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

That sounds like a pretty stressful watch!
Old 2013.01.18, 05:33 PM   #496
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Sold out, anyway. And yes, seriously intense. But only because it attempts to be true to the reality it recreates.

Some of the pre-premiere buzz in the news...

When choosing films to present in New Frontier, curator Shari Frilot said that "Charlie Victor Romeo" (the phonetic alphabet translation for "cockpit voice recorder") stood out from other filmed plays because its harrowing performances were all the more vivid thanks to the close proximity afforded by the 3D technology. "They translated that energy of live theater in a way that may well open up new points of access to live performance," said Ms. Frilot, who described her first viewing as mesmerizing. "It was experiential, and that's when I knew I was watching something special."

Finally, Groth encourages festival goers not to overlook the New Frontier installations and films at The Yard on Kearns Boulevard.
"'Charlie, Victor, Romeo' is one of the most unique cinematic experiences I've had in a while," he said. The film is based on an off-Broadway production comprised of recreated black-box recordings of pilots handling a crisis in the cockpit. "It is a riveting watch, at times harrowing. The takeaway for me was respect for those pilots. No one should have that kind of pressure on them. I think there will be a lot of talk about it at the festival."

If France's master post-structuralist filmmakers Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet had directed Flight, it might look something like this utterly unclassifiable whatsit screening in Sundance's New Frontier section (devoted to works of the avant-garde). Originally produced onstage by New York's Collective:Unconscious theater group, Charlie Victor Romeo consists of six dramatizations of real-life airline emergencies, performed on a spartan set by a small rep company of actors, using transcripts of the actual "black box" cockpit voice-recorder transmissions as the script. Now, CVR is a movie, albeit one shot—in 3-D, no less—during several live performances in front of an audience, the theatrical lighting and set design adding an eerie, disembodied feel to the harrowing struggle between man and machine transpiring before us. (The pièce de résistance: a beat-by-agonizing-beat reenactment of the United Airlines DC-10 that crashed into a Sioux City, Iowa, cornfield in 1989 after losing one of its engines.) For 80 minutes, the movie keeps you in something like suspended animation, waiting to exhale. All told, CVR might be more than some (most?) viewers can bear, but this much is for sure: You've never seen anything like it.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2013.01.18 at 06:46 PM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.22, 05:44 PM   #497
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So after watching Cloud Atlas it really made me want to re-watch/re-evaluate another kinda-sorta similar movie that pretty much bombed, Southland Tales. And oh my, did I enjoy it a whole lot more than the first time I saw it. Perhaps it's because the hype has died down from Donnie Darko enough for people to watch it without having that film in mind.

But yeah, I recommend re-watching it (or approaching it for the first time if you ignored it before), sure, it has a lot of stupid moments, but I think we're all finally ready for it. Not as bad as you would think, even if you've seen it and thought it was bad already :-p
Old 2013.01.29, 03:53 AM   #498
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

saw Django, it was indeed great.

No one's mentioned the new Bond yet even though it's probably months old for some of you. I saw it a couple weeks ago and I just have to say one thing: GAYYYYYYY
unbelievably (seriously, still in disbelief) gay
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.05, 01:48 PM   #499
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Gay being a good thing or bad thing?

Because you could really read into Bond's relationship with 006 in GoldenEye if you wanted and that's one of my favorite Bonds.
Old 2013.02.05, 02:51 PM   #500
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Django was good. Loved Samuel L Jackson and Leonardo Dicaprio's performances in particular.
Have yet to see Wreck It Ralph. This Sunday maybe.
Tried to watch Fellowship of the Ring again on DVD. Not my thing. I don't mind medieval-ish fantasy, but I prefer a Discworld or ASOIAF approach to it.
Watched 2:37. I don't know if that's the exact title. It's the film where the teenager commits suicide at the
beginning/end. I thought it tried too hard.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2013.02.05 at 02:56 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote