Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.06.21, 01:08 PM   #31
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
But really, listen to all the albums. Like what your mind is telling you, not these bunch of music-dictators.
I am positively offended by this statement. I am not a dictator. I have 19 years of playing experience and graduated from one of the top conservatories in the entire United States. I believe I have earned the right to be called a music snob and not a dictator, thank you very much.
Old 2011.06.21, 01:25 PM   #32
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

As if whenever a new member actually has their own opinion, there's bullies uttering amongst themselves "Oh, look! It's someone who's not wearing our gang colors...".
Old 2011.06.21, 01:33 PM   #33
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Glath, Jihad and Maou do have very strong opinions, and they voice them strongly. They can be overpowering, and conversations with them walk a fine line between debate and argument.

They can be intimidating, and while I don't fault them for that, it can be a turn-off for members to voice their opinions.

Oh shit, I just described myself.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.21, 07:12 PM   #34
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Sure, you look at the other music they listen to (apart from Glath, cause he seems to keep quiet about it), and it might be good, but its typical good, and while I appreciate the music for what it is, I just don't feel it. Not a fucking thing. It's too safe and sterile. And I'm sure they feel the same way. Music is far too individual.

So whether that leads to them ridiculing me or whatever, I don't really give a damn anymore.

So yeah, just listen to whichever Ringo you feel comfortable with the most. I did not really have a set order which I listened to it at the start. I don't know what kind of music background you come from, if you like rock then you'd prob be in the same boat as many people here and prefer the older stuff. If, like me, you are tired of rock and trying not to like the "mainstream", then you will probably enjoy the newer stuff a whole lot more. Not saying its what most people would define as pop, but it is fairly poppy. Which I have no problem with.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.06.21 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Spelling, additional thoughts.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.21, 07:35 PM   #35
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

My take (after being a fan for almost 10 years):

KSK = SR being an experimental goddess
SS = SR refining her pop sensibilities, and being experimental
MM = demo tapes with proper production qualities. Raw, honest SR.
demo tapes = the most honest, truest form of SR
Old 2011.06.21, 07:47 PM   #36
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
My take (after being a fan for almost 10 years):

KSK = SR being an experimental goddess
SS = SR refining her pop sensibilities, and being experimental
MM = demo tapes with proper production qualities. Raw, honest SR.
demo tapes = the most honest, truest form of SR
I'm going to get thrown to the wolves for this, but I think Tokyo Jihen is the most honest, truest form of SR. Ringo holds herself up to very high standards and whenever she makes solo music she overthink its to the nth degree, which is why she created the Ringo persona and said her ego went wild on KZK.

that being said, she was also a band girl, and she was pushed by her first band to go solo, so it makes sense after solo success she has chosen to front a band and let them do a lot of the work. At the end of the day Ringo may be a mad genius but that clearly takes its toll and I think being in Jihen is easier for her. I'm not saying her true form is lazy, but I think the Ringo we see in Jihen is a Ringo without a persona, its just her making music with a band, as opposed to Shiina Ringo, who is a very famous and almost imaginary persona she created for herself.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.21, 07:52 PM   #37
TurtleFu

^
I agree in some ways. TJ is Shiina just having fun, not trying to "redefine genres" or whatever. It's also her taking a break, because I always think, being "Shiina Ringo" (NOT "Shiina Yumiko") day-to-day must be hella TIRING.

@justriingo
KZK is definitely her finest work, and I don't know why people get so bent out of shape that her career and artistry peaked in 2003. Deal with it.

SS is that weird transitional album where it's sorta kinda rock and sorta kinda experimental, but doesn't commit to either fully. I am not as huge of a fan of it as others on this forum.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.06.21 at 07:56 PM.
Old 2011.06.21, 07:56 PM   #38
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Sure, you look at the other music they listen to (apart from Glath, cause he seems to keep quiet about it)
Just cuz I don't spam the Currently Listening To thread, doesn't mean that my alternate interests are any secret in this community. I'm interested in most of the other artists Shiina Ringo has worked with.

As far as unrelated artists go, I was a soundtrack connoisseur before I got into Shiina Ringo. She was the very first Japanese musician I got into, in a non-OST capacity. That's how/why most of the music I've explored since then, has been related to her. Try exploring the discographies of half the artist's she's worked with, then tell me how much time you've got left for exploring any unrelated artists.

I've got massive stockpiles of unrelated music to listen to, which I simply haven't had time for.
Old 2011.06.21, 08:06 PM   #39
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
MM is young Shiina. That's the best way to describe it. She really doesn't know how to use her voice yet and her songwriting is really bad in some songs. Shiina is who she is today in part due to the guidance she got from her producers, and MM shows that.
Name:  stare.png
Views: 77
Size:  33.9 KB
Thats right you edit out that paragraph
Old 2011.06.21, 08:07 PM   #40
TurtleFu

Koko de Kiss shite. may be her biggest hit, but gosh is it a bad song.