Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2013.06.04, 06:33 PM   #21
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I have no idea why you all are under the impression that Shiina is rich. She is now on the very lowest tier of a "popular" artist. Tie-ins do not make that much money, and even million-selling artists don't rake in millions of yen. Ringo probably makes a livable, modest living (enough to live in the suburbs), but she's not really laughing to the bank. Japan might still publish the taxes of public citizens so we should be able to guesstimate how much she makes.
Old 2013.06.04, 06:58 PM   #22
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
On another note, now that I'm thinking about record labels, we (the fans) wouldn't have anything to lose if Shiina Ringo were to move to Victor. I'm not saying I believe she'll do that, but it would make plenty of sense.
Probably would be international tour.

Actually, she should just join SAPS for an entire album and tour that. I'm sure it would be more solid/focused than Sports, Daihakken and Color Bars.
Old 2013.06.04, 07:02 PM   #23
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I have no idea why you all are under the impression that Shiina is rich. She is now on the very lowest tier of a "popular" artist. Tie-ins do not make that much money, and even million-selling artists don't rake in millions of yen. Ringo probably makes a livable, modest living (enough to live in the suburbs), but she's not really laughing to the bank. Japan might still publish the taxes of public citizens so we should be able to guesstimate how much she makes.
Are you saying you have a chance with her because she's not rich?
Old 2013.06.04, 07:39 PM   #24
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
I think TurtleFu is overestimating his grasp of the Japanese economy (something I've been guilty of once or twice).

Shiina Ringo is one of EMI Japan's top artists aside from Utada Hikaru, and Japanese artists have a bigger royalty rate than western artists per product sold. It might also blow our minds to find out exactly how much she's made off of tours (have you seen how expensive the tickets to her concerts are?). I wouldn't be surprised if she could afford at least an entry-level mansion.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Actually, she should just join SAPS for an entire album and tour that.
I'm not sure it would be easy for them to pump out a whole album together. I've said this before, but Shiina Ringo + J.A.M (SAPS without the horns) would be a more realistic combination.

You simply cannot have Mayakashi Yasaotoko as the template for an album, where the SAPS horns and SR's vocals would somehow coexist in harmony for a whole hour. As much as I would like to be wrong about that, I can't see it happening.

On another note, I don't know if I can take SAPS seriously after they ran out of pimp names for their albums.
Old 2013.06.05, 08:30 AM   #25
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Actually, she should just join SAPS for an entire album and tour that. I'm sure it would be more solid/focused than Sports, Daihakken and Color Bars.
please no, I had enough Ringo with jazzy horns on Sanmon Gossip, she needs to move in other directions now
Old 2013.06.05, 02:15 PM   #26
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

An bakaneko killer album with SAPS and Nobuhiko Nakayama is probably the best route to go if she has to work with her usual collaborators. The jazz horns have mostly been played straight so far-- she hasn't really gone as far as she could go with SAPS (then again, she didn't go as far as she could have gone with Ukigumo, imo)
Old 2013.06.05, 03:31 PM   #27
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think you are seriously over-estimating how popular Shiina actually is and how much she sells.
First week sales of Irohanihoheto: 17,447
First two weeks sales of Carnation: 22,759

Tokyo Jihen has more mainstream appeal
First three weeks of Dai-hakken: 110,378
First two weeks of Tokyo Collection: 45,987
First four weeks of color bars: 98,098
First week of Hard Disk: 10,584

Shiina may be one of EMI's highest selling artists, but that may simply be because EMI's reign is over (Utada's sales have slipped significantly as well). If you compare her sales to other acts (look at the list of the highest selling singles or albums that Oricon publishes), you will see she is not very high ranked artist. Ringo is not a superstar. She is probably about as profitable as other mid-tier bands that do tie-ins and such (you know, the bands that you hear for anime or drama openings).
I do not have a fine understanding of Japanese economy, but I do know that there are plenty of other bands that sell just as much as Ringo that aren't spoken of as highly. We are Shiina fans, but we need to understand that she is not longer very popular in Japan. ALL the Japanese people I have talked to know about her earlier music and image. None of them know anything about who she is now. (Anecdotal blah blah blah, but those sales are pure data yum)
Old 2013.06.05, 04:04 PM   #28
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

We are Shiina fans, but we need to understand that she is not longer very popular in Japan.
Among people who buy music, she is. She's almost always #1 or #2 on iTunes at debut of her new music. iTunes is virtually the only digital music vendor in Japan (the last time I checked), unlike the US, which is more difficult to track digital sales.

ALL the Japanese people I have talked to know about her earlier music and image. None of them know anything about who she is now. (Anecdotal blah blah blah, but those sales are pure data yum)
You're right, she's still mostly remembered for her older work. "Honnou" sold close to a million copies in itself. Both "Muzai Moratorium" and "Shouso Strip" have sold about two million copies each. An estimate I heard made about "Variety"-era estimated SR & TJ together had sold about 10 million units at the time. Keep in mind until Variety, Ringo wrote almost every song in both her solo career and TJ, and songwriters generally earn way more than performers in all major music publishers world-wide. It's not just a matter of understanding the regional economy, it's about understanding the music business. In all major music industries, songwriting is where the money is at, not performing. Ringo does both. If you'd told me the girls in Perfume or AKB48 weren't rich, I might believe it.
Old 2013.06.06, 03:56 AM   #29
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Disregarding the blatant sarcasm in my previous post, it really depends on your definition of "rich". And in my opinion, if you're pulling in anything remotely near fifty million yen a year (which I can't help but imagine Ms. Shiina does, at least, if not far better), I'm sorry, but you rich.
Old 2013.06.06, 07:02 AM   #30
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

It's not how much you make, it's how much you save. Doesn't matter how much Ringo is taking in, if she's blowing it all on hookers and bling. Without a doubt she's investing most of her income (after kicking back a heavy chunk to the government), and unless some unscrupulous coke-head accountant is funneling it all into dubious start-up companies, I don't think she's gonna need an internet donation scheme to get her kid through college and enjoy a nice long retirement.
Closed Thread