Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.18, 07:05 PM   #61
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Actually, there are several English songs that don't have any credited lyricist aside from Ringo, and because she's never given a full-on interview in English we don't know the true extent to her speaking abilities. Since some songs credit a translator and some do not, I'm going to say it is indeed her who is writing the English lyrics (to certain songs).

And there are repeated patterns in the lyrics too, which would only really happen if she uses the same translator, which she doesn't.

I also thinks it's kinda hard to tell which came first. For me, it's conceivable that STEM precedes Kuki. Kuki seems to be a translation FROM ENGLISH. But that might be because Ringo had someone help her/do the translation.

I guessmy overall point is that there is HUGE nuance in the language that Shiina uses, not just the actual meaning of the song (which as DG says you can usually get through her voice and delivery), but how she is constructing language to represent a worldview that no other musician shares. Ask any Japanese fan, and they'd say the lyrics are a part of her charm. So yeah, I'm not saying you HAVE to listen to her lyrics, but I think they have value and they shouldn't be completely ignored. But I know DG doesn't ignore them completely so I don't get why I brought it up int he first place.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.18, 07:08 PM   #62
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
That is la salle de bain, a different version of yokushitsu, not doppelganger
Oh crap, right. Doppelganger is from KZK isn't it? I honestly don't know any of her song titles by heart, but I could tell you what album a song was on by hearing it.

Sorry for the confusion everybody!
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote