Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.05.06, 07:45 PM   #11
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

I don't understand this whole hating american music thing. Hating the Big 4 I can understand/hating mainstream music I can understand. When you just generalize the entire country's music to what you see on the tv, I don't get it.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 07:49 PM   #12
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

If it helps, I generalize Japan's music as "mostly crap" as well..
Old 2007.05.06, 09:22 PM   #13
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

I think there's an equal/proportionate amount of crap in both countries.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 09:35 PM   #14
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Seems the general opinion is that SR has passed her prime if she wanted to go international. SS would've been her best shot, anything after didn't have that level of pop sensibility as SS had. And if she'd gone international on MM, I have this feeling KZK would never existed...

I never heard much songs from Utada, but from what I've heard, there really isn't much she can do that hasn't been done by some one else in the over-sized western market, she'll be as good as a Kelly Clarkson without the TV publicity... another diva whoop-di-do now where's the cleavage...

Besides, SR have broken through to the International market, thats why we are all here yea , she's earn a level of respect that fame, stardom and record sales can't be compared.
Old 2007.05.07, 04:16 AM   #15
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Kasanagi View Post
Besides, SR have broken through to the International market, thats why we are all here yea
Gotta thank the internet and illegal downloading for that. See, piracy isn't all bad!
Old 2007.05.07, 03:12 PM   #16
Koufukuron

Koufukuron pleased at least somebody

I really dont think she can make it over here. As much as I love the girl, I gotta admit her style and her decor and the way she presents herself is not hit material up here. People will overlook her. Even Utada fucked it up, even though she took off all her cothes and put on all that makeup, and wrote those horrible (yet catchy) lyrics. Thats what america wants, but I guess Utada didnt have the it. So Shiina definetely doesn't have what sleazy america wants. And I'm glad for it. If she ever turns into one of those paparazzi whoring media sluts I'll shoot her myself XD. (I kid, I kid)
Old 2007.05.07, 03:25 PM   #17
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

You see, the point of failure with Hikki was that she tailored to please. She changed her gameplan before tipoff, and thus admitted defeat right there. Puffy had a mildly more successful American break (and I emphasize mildly, and only in comparison to other japanese acts) and they simply pushed out Spike (japanese language and all) and then a greatest hits with just a couple of english redos. And then of course the cartoon and blah blah, but I think it was no doubt more successful though not "a success." But hey, some people at my old college liked some of their songs which they'd heard thanks to the college radio station receiving the promos.

Clearly this reinforces one of those laws of life: "keep it real." Hikki didn't keep it real. She tried to redress her act, and it 4ailed. Its not "sleazy America's" fault -- its the artists fault for trying to pander.
Old 2007.05.07, 03:34 PM   #18
Koufukuron

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
You see, the point of failure with Hikki was that she tailored to please. She changed her gameplan before tipoff, and thus admitted defeat right there. Puffy had a mildly more successful American break (and I emphasize mildly, and only in comparison to other japanese acts) and they simply pushed out Spike (japanese language and all) and then a greatest hits with just a couple of english redos. And then of course the cartoon and blah blah, but I think it was no doubt more successful though not "a success." But hey, some people at my old college liked some of their songs which they'd heard thanks to the college radio station receiving the promos.

Clearly this reinforces one of those laws of life: "keep it real." Hikki didn't keep it real. She tried to redress her act, and it 4ailed. Its not "sleazy America's" fault -- its the artists fault for trying to pander.
I never looked at it exactly that way before :O Thats very true.
And Puffy Ami Yumi just sneaked up on me. I had no clue they even attempted to infiltrate america until I seen one of their records in the store.
I wasnt necesarilly blaming it on sleazy america, I do agree that Hikki totally ruined her act and quite on purpose.

But since we're on the subject (...sort of), has anyone seen BoA's new MV? Where she rips Micheal Jackson off from head to toe? I'd love to seeher try that in america; she'd get eaten alive.
Old 2007.05.07, 03:37 PM   #19
Koufukuron

Originally Posted by Jer View Post
I don't understand this whole hating american music thing. Hating the Big 4 I can understand/hating mainstream music I can understand. When you just generalize the entire country's music to what you see on the tv, I don't get it.
I understand why its foolish to hate a whole countries music, but I dont understand non conformity, either.
Mainstream music isn't all that bad.
I just dont like when singers start to dress skanky just to sell their stuff. Honestly, people who have to rely on -sex sells- and that alone never really get remembered when their career is over.
Old 2007.05.07, 04:08 PM   #20
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Koufukuron View Post
Honestly, people who have to rely on -sex sells- and that alone never really get remembered when their career is over.
People who do that probably have no intention of making music as a real career in the first place. Once they take their clothes off, no one will take them seriously anymore. It's common knowledge. Yet they do it because they want the easy money that comes with exposing themselves in public, because we all know that there's a bunch of perverted guys who'll throw their money at anything that's willing to take their clothes off.