Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2016.03.22, 06:39 PM   #1771
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
From what *I* can hear, at least, most of Sunny is a case of been there, done that. I think the album IS cohesive, but the parts are too familiar. Like you could easily make your own Sunny by making a playlist of past Tokyo Jihen/Shiina Ringo tracks. I probably thought the same thing about Dai Hakken, but this is even MORE so. Could be the actual old tracks, I dunno.
Cohesion-wise, where Sunny loses me is primarily at the Carnation -> Kodoku no Akatsuki -> NIPPON sequence. I mean, I *kind of* get Carnation after Arikitari na Onna, from a thematic standpoint, but then to follow it with a high-energy electronic song? Compare SG, where you had Bonsai Hada followed by the free & easy Yokyou and the super-mellow-weed-smoking version of Marunouchi Sadistic. Also, much as I like Irohanihiheto, somehow it doesn't feel quite right, coming after Chichinpuipui - probably due to the harpsichord bit.

I do get what you're saying about the been-there-done-that aspect of the album, but I thought she countered that quite well with JL005-bin de (which was IMO quite brilliant) and Hashire wa Number to a lesser extent. I would have liked to see more moments like that though.
Old 2016.03.22, 08:48 PM   #1772
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Cohesion-wise, where Sunny loses me is primarily at the Carnation -> Kodoku no Akatsuki -> NIPPON sequence. I mean, I *kind of* get Carnation after Arikitari na Onna, from a thematic standpoint, but then to follow it with a high-energy electronic song? Compare SG, where you had Bonsai Hada followed by the free & easy Yokyou and the super-mellow-weed-smoking version of Marunouchi Sadistic. Also, much as I like Irohanihiheto, somehow it doesn't feel quite right, coming after Chichinpuipui - probably due to the harpsichord bit.

I do get what you're saying about the been-there-done-that aspect of the album, but I thought she countered that quite well with JL005-bin de (which was IMO quite brilliant) and Hashire wa Number to a lesser extent. I would have liked to see more moments like that though.
I think Carnation kind of makes sense to me? I mean Carnation has this glittery Disney-like feel (Snow White would sing it into the wishing well ir whatever) which is then followed by a song that captures the feel of a ride in the actual Disney World. But yeah, JL005 is defitely feels like the newest thing on the album. Irohanihoeto too sounds like what I would expect from KZK if she went with the original title of Wonder, Vulgar Eccentric.

I also like the Ocean Full of Trees arrangement which sounds unique too, but I think she did that style of vocal melody better with Himitsu or MaruSa or something. It just sounds a tad faux-groovy IMO.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.25, 10:21 AM   #1773
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

memories -

I was hearing Killer Tune all over the place when I moved over there in 2007, it's a great song from an otherwise disappointing era (to me) in Ringo's output. The two times I saw Jihen were bittersweet, as I found it hard not to desperately want Dynamite Out! again. The 10th anniversary show was good, but too huge. It does look like she has done far more interesting live work since I left 4 years ago.

Killer Tune, and definitely Ariamaru Tomi, are very much connected to my memories and feelings of living and working in Japan.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.09, 06:27 PM   #1774
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Guess this is where this should go

On my Twitter feed. Laughed out loud.
Old 2016.04.11, 12:07 AM   #1775
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

She has a new song coming out, called "JIYUDAMU" (what does this translate to - help!), which is the theme song to the new NHK variety show GATTEN. Show goes on air Wednesday so we'll get to hear it soon.

Saito Neko is doing the string arrangement on this so...
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.11, 12:36 AM   #1776
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
She has a new song coming out, called "JIYUDAMU" (what does this translate to - help!), which is the theme song to the new NHK variety show GATTEN. Show goes on air Wednesday so we'll get to hear it soon.

Saito Neko is doing the string arrangement on this so...
hmm good question. She has craftily spelled it in Katakana to mask the meaning!
The first meaning of Jiyu which comes to mind is 自由 (じゆう) which means free/freedom. The damu part as far as I am aware does not mean anything in Japanese, but could be the English word of [water] dam. (edit: ダム is also the Japanese pronunciation of dom in freedom.)
Thus it sort of sounds like a merging of the Japanese and English words for freedom. Or a dam for completely blocking up freedom.

Sorry, got no idea hopefully the lyrics will offer us a clue!

(Disclaimer, not a native speaker..)

Last edited by zee : 2016.04.11 at 12:52 AM.
zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.11, 03:53 AM   #1777
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Is the next album going to consist entirely of songs we've already heard or what???

Certainly seems to be heading that way. Are deep cuts dead in Ringos eyes?
Old 2016.04.11, 04:25 PM   #1778
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Definitely looks like a mix of the English and Japanese words for freedom. I like to call it "Freedomdom".
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.12, 05:08 AM   #1779
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by mrnarse View Post
Definitely looks like a mix of the English and Japanese words for freedom. I like to call it "Freedomdom".
This will now be the official name for the song, I call for the mods to add a filter that automatically changes any other variation into "freedomdom".
Old 2016.04.12, 09:44 AM   #1780
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by mrnarse View Post
It is an absolute pity that this isn't going to be a satirical song about 'Murica.