Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.11.16, 03:49 AM   #311
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by zombiestrip View Post
I've just started watching Cowboy Bebop and even though I've only seen the first episode of the series so far, I'm beginning to doubt Firefly's authenticity (and I'm quite fond of that show!). Having said that though, I think I'm already in love with the show (and that's just based entirely on the opening credits, lol).
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard that comparison before. Don't worry, whatever similarities there are right now for you won't hold up for very long. The two are pretty drastically different.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.16, 03:58 AM   #312
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard that comparison before. Don't worry, whatever similarities there are right now for you won't hold up for very long. The two are pretty drastically different.
I hope so. I only draw the comparison because of the melding between science fiction and westerns.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.16, 05:10 AM   #313
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by zombiestrip View Post
I hope so. I only draw the comparison because of the melding between science fiction and westerns.
That's the first episode. Each episode has a very unique aesthetic (helped along by the diverse soundtrack) -- there's everything from John Woo homages to Blaxploitation. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Would you recommend Firefly?
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.16, 07:38 AM   #314
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Only if you like Joss Whedon.

Cowboy Bepop is one of the few anime series I actually like. And the soundtrack is amazing.

Has anyone seen it's spiritual successor Samurai Champloo?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.16, 01:31 PM   #315
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Only if you like Joss Whedon.

Cowboy Bepop is one of the few anime series I actually like. And the soundtrack is amazing.

Has anyone seen it's spiritual successor Samurai Champloo?
Yep, I like that one even more than Bebop, and I've spent hours upon hours listening to the soundtrack of that one. It's not jazz like in Bebop, but some kind of electronic ambient music. Sound lamer than it actually is. And it actually is AMAZING. So varied, so inventive and simply so moody.
A very common example would be this:

Just Forget

There are better ones, once you are in the mood and "got" the soundtrack.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 04:57 AM   #316
zombiestrip

Absolutely love Samurai Champloo. Without that series, I would've never have come across the music of Nujabes (rest his soul). Talk about a perfect television show...

EDIT: Okay, I'm now 11 episodes into Cowboy Bebop. I haven't fully gotten into the show yet (if that makes any sense). I can understand the appeal so far but it hasn't really made much of an impression as of yet.

Having said that though, I do believe its only due to the fact that the show just wants to set up the characters and some of their misadventures at this point in time. The two episodes that I've really enjoyed so far were episode five and episode ten mostly because they kinda touch on the backstory of Jet and Spike. Episode five especially is pretty cool cause of the whole John Woo vibe (Spike with dual pistols, erratic gunfights breaking out in a church... all you needed were some doves and boom!) that it had going for it. And I loved that episode 11 had an "Alien" vibe to it (right down to Spike with the motion detecting tracker) and was really hoping for an episode that was just in their ship.

Last edited by zombiestrip : 2011.11.17 at 07:17 AM.
Old 2011.11.17, 08:02 AM   #317
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

12/13 is a two-part arc episode that you may enjoy, and I think there's another Jet backstory in the second half that you'll like. And then the finale, which is amazing. There are some bizarre episodes in the second half, but I'd stick through it.

And if you dislike Ed (some people do) she grows into the show.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.18, 07:58 PM   #318
zombiestrip

Alright so I finally finished Cowboy Bebop and thought it was pretty good but it didn't wow me over as much as most other people.

Is it one of the best anime series ever? Possibly. I mean it's hard NOT to talk about anime and not bring up Cowboy Bebop, am I right? I dunno, maybe someone can explain to me why they think Cowboy Bebop is one of the greatest anime series, if not the greatest anime series, ever produced. I still think I prefer Samurai Champloo over Cowboy Bebop.

I think my main problem with the show is that there doesn't seem to be much story. At least with Samurai Champloo they gave you some sort of direction as to where things were going as the main crux of that series' story was "Fuu enlists the help of two different samurai to find the Sunflower samurai". Although I may have to reassess what I just said since the same theory could be applied to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I loved Faye's story arc and thought she was one of the show's strongest characters next to Spike. And I could definitely see the whole film noir influence going on throughout the series (especially in the final two episodes). Edward's almost a throwaway character but that's not to say I didn't enjoy her character because I thought she was hilarious.

I think the thing that I liked most about the show was how it was a celebration (I hope that's the word I'm looking for) of our past which was not only exemplified through the its characters but through the episodes themselves. You never see film noir and Westerns being made in this day and age as they're considered relics for a time when that sort of thing was in style and good taste. And for a show that's set years in the future, it could have easily gone down the Gundam route and made a completely futuristic type world but to do so would be to completely miss the point of the series (although this is all just my interpretation of things). I like that Cowboy Bebop embraces the past and hybridises genres to make something that's wholly original.

Also, Andy the Space Samurai.
Old 2011.11.19, 06:02 AM   #319
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I prefer Samurai Champloo as well. I liked the setting more, the characters and that bit of continuity made the whole show see a lot more coherent and added for me a lot of atmosphere.
Also the soundtrack was even better.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.19, 06:32 AM   #320
zombiestrip

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
I prefer Samurai Champloo as well. I liked the setting more, the characters and that bit of continuity made the whole show see a lot more coherent and added for me a lot of atmosphere.
Also the soundtrack was even better.
Pretty much everything you said sums up why I prefer Samurai Champloo over Cowboy Bebop.