Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2013.05.06, 05:55 AM   #81
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I don't think there's anything pretentious about Sa Dingding or KZK. I define pretentious music as music so experiement and out-there that it becomes alienating to the listener. you can say a lot of things about Sa Dingding or KZK but they surely don't make you feel alienated
Old 2013.05.06, 08:45 AM   #82
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Agreed. I've NEVER thought of KSK as pretentious. Maybe inaccessible at first, but certainly not pretentious. It accomplished exactly what it set out to do. It's a fantastic album. To me, if you've got the musical clout to back up what you're selling, you're not being pretentious.

Lady Gaga's Born This Way? That's a fucking pretentious album.
Old 2013.05.06, 11:16 AM   #83
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

KSK was my first SR album and the easiest for me to get into. Shouso Strip was more impenetrable for me initially because it was so noisy (the production, yes, but then you have Ringo's voice on top of that)

It sounded to me like an album with a little effort and care put into it. Overblown and yet handcrafted. If anything, it shows up other pop albums for being so run-of-the-mill rather than being a 'wtf experimental' album in and of itself.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2013.05.06 at 11:34 AM.
Old 2013.05.06, 05:10 PM   #84
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

@Matan_san, Osiris, I think you missed my point (probably cause I didn't write it clearly). What I meant was that if there's anything that's different/special/makes you think/less traditional, there'll always, always be someone who thinks it's pretentious. Sa Dingding is a good example, I know about 3 people personally (all have Chinese backgrounds) who find her pretentious, but I guess that comes from an upbringing of what usually floats around on Chinese pop stations.
Old 2013.05.06, 05:54 PM   #85
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

loving this track. Haven't bothered to stay up with most of the jihen or ringo stuff lately, but this one managed to worm its way into my head, I've had it on heavy rotation for a while. It somehow feels like new and old ringo mixed together. Unfortunately the other a-side doesn't seem to do much for me (at least the clip doesn't). I imagine they will take this, between today and tomorrow, jiyuu e, and any other random thing she has released between today and when she gets around to an album, slap it together, and call it a 5th solo album. Now if she would only stop producing one offs and dive into a project as a concept....
Old 2013.05.06, 09:37 PM   #86
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Now if she would only stop producing one offs and dive into a project as a concept....
this. she needs to stop writing music for dramas\commercials\plays\etc and return to making music just for art's sake
Old 2013.05.06, 10:37 PM   #87
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

You don't consider writing songs for other mediums an art? I'd imagine it has probably got to be a considerable challenge if you don't know what you're doing...

Ichigo Ichie- Doku Ichigo was probably a better album/project than any Tokyo Jihen album from Daihakken onwards.... and probably more artistic too. It had a concept, direction and flow and sound to it that are very Ringo, the only thing missing was Ringo's voice. But yes, I am also keen on her eventually making some new full length album, but just gotta be patient until then.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.05.06 at 10:49 PM.
Old 2013.05.07, 01:01 AM   #88
Narimiya

Narimiya is headed in the right direction

Irohanihoheto sounds like a song she would write for Tomosaka Rie or Kuriyama Chiaki to me hahaha
Old 2013.05.07, 01:18 AM   #89
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Narimiya View Post
Irohanihoheto sounds like a song she would write for Tomosaka Rie or Kuriyama Chiaki to me hahaha
Exactly! But a song she has eventually had the cleverness to keep for herself
Old 2013.05.07, 02:35 AM   #90
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I would have thought writing for other mediums was the best means of Ringo 'evolving'. The problem with some of TV songs so far is that either a.she writes to fit TV theme cliches or b.the songs sound like they're abridged *because* they're tv themes.

Irohanihoheto is my favourite Ringo-written song since 2009. It's 100% classic Ringo in my mind (Mayonaka wa Junketsu has bits of that so-called 'Jihen sound', -- so does Aozora) -- it's just a shame that it doesn't give itself enough room to 'breathe', like some of the older tracks.
Closed Thread