Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.06.13, 02:13 PM   #131
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Hopefully not the way in that previous video. A weird combination of a fake/real performance. The bassist in that song really deserves praise. He has the hardest job out of anyone if you really listen and watch him play.
I bet it'll be her and the backing band, maybe idevian dancers as the cheerleaders (I wonder if it was them in the Music Japan performance). Who knows with Music Station whether you'll get a real live performance or a lip synched one.

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Did anyone check out that cover I posted? It's really good.
It's a nice cover. The official Nekonayagi twitter account even posted it a week or two ago.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.13, 08:04 PM   #132
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

posted this on Facebook to this response (from someone I don't talk to very much anymore who currently lives in Japan)

Apparently the song is being criticized by liberals and diversity advocates for described Japan as "unmixed," whatever that means. Also, the subtitles translate the English "our native home" into the creepily nationalistic "fatherland." Also, the song is crap.

thoughts? Took me by surprise, anyone hear anything about this? Not sure where the "unmixed" comment is from - not the lyrics?
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.13, 09:12 PM   #133
mrnarse

^ I've seen some tweets here and there from Japanese Ringo fans about politics and the song, but they've been tweets deriding right-wingers that claim it's a song that supports their nationalistic views.

I don't know any further details or reactions though.
Old 2014.06.14, 06:37 AM   #134
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

People reading into the song too much?

Isn't it only a song for supporting Japan at the World Cup?
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.14, 09:49 AM   #135
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

There is a somewhat blurry line between nationalism and jingoism, and with Japan's history of authoritarianism, I can see why some people might be willing to look into it.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.14, 10:20 AM   #136
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

^^^ Yep. Nationalism is only bad when it's someone else's.

Ringo did say some things about "the Japanese" in her chat with Kameda, like the virtue of keeping one's thoughts to oneself, but it's quite a leap from that to "Nihon uber alles."
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.14, 04:34 PM   #137
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think the existence of Ringohan in regards to her live accessibility might tell us where she stands on that nationalism/jingoism line =p
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.14, 06:18 PM   #138
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

my comment didn't edit like I posted last night but I got to the bottom of it. There is a lyric in the song that goes 混じり気のない我ら炎 (majiriki no nai warera honoo) - In this instance people are translating majiriki no nai as "unmixed" as in talking about the japanese spriit in being pure due to it being unmixed. My personal translation would be closer to emphasizing that the spirit of the nation is pure (versus saying unmixed) but its tomato tomahto and people just looking into it a bit too closely.

The other bit is the end where they translate her english lyric "our native land" with the kanji 祖国 - fatherland. This word has socio-ethnic connotations, particularly during WWII, so I think it triggered some political groups.

Poor Ringo - she just wants to rock!
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.14, 06:39 PM   #139
mrnarse

Left, Right, or other political affiliation, crazy people are always gonna find something to be crazy over!

As I watch Japan blow their 1-0 lead almost instantly, I'll bring you news that Shiina had another performance of NIPPON today on CDTV. I haven't seen it up on the internet yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Old 2014.06.14, 06:39 PM   #140
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

In the end, it will be forgotten like Hatas drinking.