Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.05.22, 06:28 AM   #11
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Wow, most of the things you did not like are the things I liked , except I agree that the lady is a tramp effect was not necessary, but I really like dynamite and this new rendition of it. I think it would be hard for you to enjoy the concert if you did not enjoy ADULT either way so you'd see everything in a darker light than someone who liked the album. Also, I like the non-live things and they made me enjoy it better but I'm pretty sure I would have liked the concert even without them, so I think this goes back to whether you liked the album in the first place or not. I think the only thing that the lives are really missing is something from uki (sorry fluffie ), he doesn't really help in putting a show as much as I think he should.

But the thing that I do not understand is how can the live define the era or how good the album is? The lives are just so you can see them playing the songs they play on the album, not to let you decide whether you like it depending on how well they play the songs live.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.22, 07:00 AM   #12
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
But the thing that I do not understand is how can the live define the era or how good the album is? The lives are just so you can see them playing the songs they play on the album, not to let you decide whether you like it depending on how well they play the songs live.
Live performances are important because they allow us to hear songs with the studio tricks and magic stripped away. It isn't hard for someone to walk into a studio and churn out a nice-sounding song by enhancing vocals and stuffing it to the gills with found sounds, but performing the song live is a whole nother story.
Old 2007.05.22, 07:13 AM   #13
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Cosmo! View Post
Live performances are important because they allow us to hear songs with the studio tricks and magic stripped away. It isn't hard for someone to walk into a studio and churn out a nice-sounding song by enhancing vocals and stuffing it to the gills with found sounds, but performing the song live is a whole nother story.
Yea I know but that does not make the studio recording bad. If you think Ringo sings bad live or the any band member can't play live that's fine, but I do not think you can fake playing a guitar or drums on a recording so the live should not make you dislike the album.
Old 2007.05.22, 07:28 AM   #14
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I DID (and do) like Adult to begin with. I was fairly high on Adult at the the time (not that I ever thought it was better than the first solo records.) I was surprised and did enjoy adult, I didn't think it was a classic, but I it was good.

Im just saying Shiina seemed to keep backtracking on the motifs that culminated with the album, andt hat backtracking culminated with JCHI leading to disappoint-ton.

I'm not saying "its a proven methodology" that the live DVD makes or breaks the era, I'm just saying that there does seem to be a pattern at least with Shiina. I never said it "makes the album bad." What I said was that it makes the whole era kinda tainted (in JCHI's case) and then with that tainted kinda backdrop it does make you look less warmly on the album. If KZK ended in just BX, I guarantee you would see SS leading in the "fav abum" poll.
Old 2007.05.22, 07:37 AM   #15
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Because I was at the show live, JCHI was practically like Dynamite Out for me. Seriously, I loved the white box and the lighting effects (esp the very bright rays in Omatsuri Sawagi) and (some of the) the projected visuals. They certainly added extra oomph to the whole show, and I really applaud whoever was in charge of the live show for coordinating everything so well. It was certainly something to behold.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the DVD. It's a pity things turned out that way, because the show was really really good.

One thing to note though, they recorded JCHI at NHK Hall, and that performance was something like the 2nd or 3rd last performance for the whole tour (their longest so far). They probably played those songs at least five hundred times (including rehearsals), so it's really something to be playing those songs again and sound/look like they're still enthusiastic about everything when they really could be bored to death by those songs/arrangements already.

I don't have a huge problem with the song arrangements like Jihad does; I do like the Honnou interlude (though I liked it less after finding out it was a copy), though the Kenka Metal is... could have been more exciting. Like, heavy metal, power chords, where's the over the top guitar shredding? Uki's certainly capable of doing that, he's fast!

Anyway, the show was good, totally worth the bloated prices I paid for my ticket from Yahoo JP, and if there ever is a chance again, I'd definitely go for another TJ live.

(That being said, that "Spa & Treatment" lives are a little... *shrugs*)
Old 2007.05.22, 07:41 AM   #16
HEDOfloe

Jihad, I don't know if many people feel that way, but I know that if I was a fan back when KZK was released and for whatever reason I did not enjoy BX (which I did enjoy) then that would definately not make me dislike KZK or like it any less than I did before the concert. I guess if you look at it in a historical sense, you could say that JCHI was alot more goofy than the "ADULT era" was supposed to be, but I would not let something like that hurt my musical experience.
Old 2007.05.22, 08:39 AM   #17
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Just going off topic a little bit, she didn't use the cat ears in JCHI's Service. They were only in Domestic VL.

Edit: And C'mon Let's Go has some awesome Ukigumo guitar playing. I know a lot of it is Izawa, but if you pay close attention, Uki really roxx0rz at parts.

Edit#2: I love the music in JCHI, but the main thing that turned me off (if you can consider it that -- I do love the concert as a whole) is the camera work. I thought Dynamite Out was more exciting to watch mainly because of all the different views they used. The camera people were constantly walking / moving around, getting different views of the band from the front, sides, behind, above, below, inside the nostril, etc. JCHI didn't have any of that, besides during C'mon Let's Go.. which is another reason why I find that song so appealing.

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2007.05.22 at 08:52 AM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.22, 01:43 PM   #18
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Just going off topic a little bit, she didn't use the cat ears in JCHI's Service. They were only in Domestic VL.

Edit: And C'mon Let's Go has some awesome Ukigumo guitar playing. I know a lot of it is Izawa, but if you pay close attention, Uki really roxx0rz at parts.

Edit#2: I love the music in JCHI, but the main thing that turned me off (if you can consider it that -- I do love the concert as a whole) is the camera work. I thought Dynamite Out was more exciting to watch mainly because of all the different views they used. The camera people were constantly walking / moving around, getting different views of the band from the front, sides, behind, above, below, inside the nostril, etc. JCHI didn't have any of that, besides during C'mon Let's Go.. which is another reason why I find that song so appealing.
Yea, I don't know how much is Uki, but izawa was a BAMF during that performance
Old 2007.05.22, 08:42 PM   #19
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Oh yeah, where Izawa and Uki dueled off. Izawa totally smoked him, yet Uki got "the last word" --lame =p

Also the Marunouchi we got in Bokura no Ongaku (or whatever it was called) was vastly superior.
Old 2007.05.22, 08:59 PM   #20
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Rewatch the "last word" if you haven't done so recently. Good stuff :p
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote