Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.11.03, 02:12 PM   #1071
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

It was my fav, too, but now I'm curious if it can beat Dead Space. Because that one is really awesome.
The only advantage gears has to offer so far is splitscreen coop.

And the best Action game ever is still God of War
Stupid gears got no chance against a GOD

God of War Trailer 2

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2008.11.03 at 02:16 PM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.03, 02:25 PM   #1072
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

What happened to good old 2D games, with interesting storylines and complex post-modern views of the world~

@video in golem's post: I love 0:46 to 0:48.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.03, 03:16 PM   #1073
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Well since you mention it Shinji, what oldies are your faves?

I've recently played The Pandora Directive. Finished Under a Killing Moon a couple of times before - I've got the game really long now - but never got hold of Pandora... anyone remembers those?
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.03, 03:26 PM   #1074
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

What happened to games with no storylines? Games you can just pick up and play?
Old 2008.11.03, 04:34 PM   #1075
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
A lot of people argued that that is exactly what the original Gears was. It's story was so vague it was essentially "Kill some bad guys, set off a bomb". That is almost literally it. It looks like they've beefed it up a bit for the sequel but it still looks to be mainly about just shooting things.

The only advantage gears has to offer so far is splitscreen coop.
And world-class online multiplayer, Horde mode, action set-pieces on a whole other scale that put Dead Spaces to shame (based on the reviews I've read). Seriously, watch the GameTrailers review (no real spoilers). It's just insane "OMG" sequence after another and that's without them showing the real good stuff. I wouldn't like to compare it to God of War though. Not only are they thematically completely different, but the gameplay is too. I love God of War but nothing beats chainsawing a locust in half for me. I think Gears absolutely nailed the third person shooter control scheme. It's fun, simple, insanely intuitive and pretty inventive in it's own little way. The fact that they've perfected that, upped the scale insanely, extended the length of the campaign and made it look even more stunning says a lot. You get to control a frickin' Brumac!
Old 2008.11.04, 02:13 AM   #1076
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by merman View Post
Well since you mention it Shinji, what oldies are your faves?

I've recently played The Pandora Directive. Finished Under a Killing Moon a couple of times before - I've got the game really long now - but never got hold of Pandora... anyone remembers those?
I wasn't specifically talking about oldies, not at all. I was trying to direct the atention to games like Mother 3 or Earhtbound.
But yeah, in the old days, not Pong days, people valued some point-and-click games or any other type of game that envoled interesting storylines.
I'm a fan of the first 3 Monkey Island. Also, the first 2 Metal Gear count as oldies, I guess, and I think they are great.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
What happened to them, you ask?
They are still all around and I can give you plenty of "most hyped and most sold" examples, that are not GOW or GOW.
Sample of an example: FIFA.
Sample 2: PES.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.04, 10:55 AM   #1077
golem09

I already watch the GT review, and as you might know, I don't give a lot on competetive online play
Coop is cool, and horde is also cool, because it's another form of coop.
And there were a lot of omg sequences, yeah, but Dead Space is just another experience. The amtosphere is 100 bazillion times tighter and the scare factor is so much better.
As you said, it's "just an action game". The thing this actino game has to offer for me is splitscreen and online coop for the campaign. Dead Space doesn't but the overall experience is probably better.

MyAnimelist
Old 2008.11.04, 11:16 AM   #1078
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Depends what atmosphere you want. It's a bit like Silent Hill vs. Resident Evil in they're both third person atmospheric action games, but Silent Hill definitely aims at a more creepy, tense atmosphere, and Resident Evil is more about jumpy moments and pure action. In that regard Gears campaign appeals more to me. I like well paced, group-based action games with huge set-pieces and high longevity via co-op. I'm sure I'll love Dead Space, but I can guarantee I'll enjoy Gears more and there's no denying it's a more complete package (even if competitive multiplayer doesn't appeal to you).
Old 2008.11.06, 10:32 AM   #1079
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I bought LittleBigPlanet today and it's the most fun I've had for ages with a game! the way you can customize the character and the music and everything else, it's a lot of fun and I recommend it to everybody!!

Fallout however is a touch boring so I've not bothered with that beyond my first initial play.

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2008.11.06 at 10:42 AM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.17, 03:57 AM   #1080
golem09

First Real Life Locust found. Emergence day is not far away.

http://j4p543.just4play.biz/_langila...ausgspuckt.jpg

MyAnimelist