Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.09.07, 02:47 PM   #21
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Once again, no one should draw conclusions from their opinions in music from AMERICA; Japan is entirely different.

In North America, albums debut, then singles are released AFTER the album drops (with the exception of a lead in single, which is usually released a month or so before the album hits). It is then up to consumers in North America to purchase the album if they hear good reviews, the artist gets a major single, etc etc. Albums in North America strive on music quality, and hit singles.

This DOES NOT happen in Japan. Singles are released before the album drops - only that time. Customers barely know what the music is when they purchase the album. They only have bonuses as incentives to buy it. First week sales in Japan = the greatest weekly sales of an album, no exception at all.

Therefore, hype IS EVERYTHING in Japanese music sales.
Music quality means nothing; consumers pretty much go in with a blind eye (ear?), as first week sales = first impressions.

Thus, no matter how fucking good an album is, in needs bonuses, heavy marketing, hype and all of that good stuff.

Thus - go back to the OP.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.07, 02:58 PM   #22
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Maybe a lot of the Japanese general public will not buy an album blind without a bonus, but the Jihen fans will have already made their mind up. I can't see anybody not buying an album by the band they love if it doesn't come with a free DVD. It makes literally no sense.

Sure, the blind eyed consumers won't find incentive to choose Variety over some other random new release that comes with a free neon toothpick but if the fans of an artist start getting disappointed ["I'm just disappointed that they did not add on a DVD to both singles or the album"] when their beloved new album of songs just comes out as... an album of songs, it makes me angry. Not really... but it's a stupid stance.
Old 2007.09.07, 03:01 PM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Lets not generalize an entire country. =)
I know singles are generally their own fort isolated from the album in the japanese industry. To say everyone that goes into the shop and buys the album not based on the preceding singles tho, I think is highly presumptuous. I know its a bit different in that in america the singles are promotion where in japan they promote themselves. But lets not make it seem like albums are lame ducks. How did albums sell before dvds and pack ins and other gimmicks?
Old 2007.09.07, 03:03 PM   #24
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Anybody who is disappointed because the album doesn't come with a DVD is spoilt. Fuck free DVD's. I remember when music was just about music, and an album of music is exactly and only what you should expect. A DVD should be a bonus, not an incentive.
Yes, the japanese musicians have spoiled me with dvds.

Maybe a lot of the Japanese general public will not buy an album blind without a bonus, but the Jihen fans will have already made their mind up. I can't see anybody not buying an album by the band they love if it doesn't come with a free DVD. It makes literally no sense.

Sure, the blind eyed consumers won't find incentive to choose Variety over some other random new release that comes with a free neon toothpick but if the fans of an artist start getting disappointed ["I'm just disappointed that they did not add on a DVD to both singles or the album"] when their beloved new album of songs just comes out as... an album of songs, it makes me angry. Not really... but it's a stupid stance.
I am disappointed that they don't have a dvd to go with the cd but I never said that I did not want the album. I'm super pumped about this album and I'm just counting the days until it drops. I don't mean to say that I'm disappointed in the album because it doesn't come with a dvd, I just wished that it would have come with something extra.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.07, 03:05 PM   #25
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Limited editons aren't really about the music. They play onto consumer's sense of panic that "holy crap, this might be the last one! And I have it!" or "This is gonna be worth alot years from now."

multiply that feeling by tens of thousands, and that creates the rush that creates the sales for the month.

Standard edition give people the excuse to hold off on buying a new album because it will always be there months or years after release, unchanged.

some making-of the album footage would have been cost effective AND interesting. I know they can't offer the osca pv as a bonus because they milk that money from the upcoming pv compilation.

They could have cut Mirrorball form JCHI and offer that as the bonus like the DO performance of Himitsu.

man, EMI should hire me for the marketing team.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.07, 03:07 PM   #26
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Yes, the japanese musicians have spoiled me with dvds.

I am disappointed that they don't have a dvd to go with the cd but I never said that I did not want the album. I'm super pumped about this album and I'm just counting the days until it drops. I don't mean to say that I'm disappointed in the album because it doesn't come with a dvd, I just wished that it would have come with something extra.
Exactly. It shouldn't be this way An album should stand by itself as an album, and I can see that you're obviously looking forward to it, but a DVD shouldn't be naturally expected else disappointment. It should be nothing but a nice bonus.
Old 2007.09.07, 03:08 PM   #27
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

I would like to point out thattttttttt this is a really good discussion.
Most forums would be like
"ya guys i agree!!!"
Very interesting replies here.

Uhm yeah I've said pretty much everything I want to. Oh, yeah Jihad you are right that this wasn't the case 5, 10 years ago, but the industry as a whole changed dramatically recently.

Last edited by Op2 : 2007.09.07 at 03:12 PM. Reason: XD No Jihad, I wasn't masturbating.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.07, 03:11 PM   #28
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Op2 View Post
I would like to point out thattttttttt this is a really good discussion.
How modest =P

Retro edit: psst. thats the point

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.09.07 at 06:13 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.07, 03:15 PM   #29
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Exactly. It shouldn't be this way An album should stand by itself as an album, and I can see that you're obviously looking forward to it, but a DVD shouldn't be naturally expected else disappointment. It should be nothing but a nice bonus.
I think maybe disappointment might have been the wrong word to use then. I definitely am not mad at the band or anything like that, it's just that once you get used to something it's always weird when it's not there anymore. It is still a nice bonus when it's added its just that now it seems like it should just be expected. But trust me, I won't ever say something like "I would have liked variety better if they had a dvd with it", it's just something you come to expect and it's pretty obvious when its gone.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
How modest =P
Look who's talking, mister "i made a thread about getting 1000 posts".

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.07 at 03:18 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.07, 05:59 PM   #30
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'm sure what Op2 is trying to say is that, if Variety doesn't sell well, blame the record company for not putting in a bonus DVD! It's not the musicians' fault that the music inside SUCKED as well!