Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2010.11.05, 06:18 PM   #221
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
You might want to limit your CD Japan transactions to upcoming (mainly first-press) releases. If you are trying to catch up on older stuff, your fellow Commonwealth mates would argue you'd be better off with YesAsia, and in your case (with how bad the Customs are on the insured shipments you'd normally get from CD Japan or HMV Japan) they would be right. If you ever felt like moving to the States (where we never get charged Customs on Japanese media), then yeah, I would say you should use CD Japan for pretty much everything. But I think there are more Americans moving to Australia, than vice versa.
Yeah, I do agree that YesAsia is a lot better for Commonwealth countries. I've bought things from there before without having to worry too much about shipping and handling. My only concern stems from the actual CDs or DVDs in which I order. Aren't the physical copies of those products ones that are only produced/selled outside of Japan? I mean they look legit and all (not saying they're bootleg copies) it's just that still label of "Not for distribution in Japan) kinda irks me a little bit (though not too much since two of the albums I have, Sanmon Gossip and Sports, are ones that are not for distrubution in Japan). Although, I guess it doesn't really mattter if they've authorised it to be distrubuted in other Asian countries.

Oh and the Ultra C Blu-ray is region-free right?
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.05, 06:54 PM   #222
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by zombiestrip View Post
My only concern stems from the actual CDs or DVDs in which I order. Aren't the physical copies of those products ones that are only produced/selled outside of Japan? I mean they look legit and all (not saying they're bootleg copies) it's just that still label of "Not for distribution in Japan) kinda irks me a little bit
You should keep looking even if you find something like a Korean release of Kyoiku, because YesAsia will still have the Japanese release somewhere if you dig a little deeper. I've got legit Japanese releases from there before, back when I first started buying Japanese CDs online. The catalog numbers of what I bought from there many years ago, match the offerings at CD Japan, and there's no "Not For Resale in Japan" markings anywhere on these products. You just have to be attentive about which version you've found while you're searching through YesAsia.

Originally Posted by zombiestrip View Post
Oh and the Ultra C Blu-ray is region-free right?
I can't confirm Region-Free on that yet, but the more prominent issue might be whether or not your PAL gear could process an NTSC Blu-Ray even if it were unlocked.
Old 2010.11.14, 06:46 AM   #223
hank

hank is headed in the right direction

I'm afraid I have a British POP music forum to blame for discovering Ringo. I had joined them to get a breath of fresh air from the usual punk/alternative forums I frequent, and in their mainstream J-pop threads some people mentioned in passing that if we feel ready for something else with an edge, we might want to check out Shiina Ringo...

And whaddaya know, my first Youtube link just happened to be Yami Ni Furu Ame (still one of my biggest favorites) so I was hooked from the get go.

Next, I downloaded all the solo albums from various blogs, compiled a few 'personal best' collections, and thought I'd be safe from any money spending sprees. But I guess I knew the whole time I was lying to myself; this Fall I found myself buying all the solo cd's off Ebay.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.14, 07:09 AM   #224
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Yami ni Furu Ame FTW! That song brings back the feeling of discovering her like no other ...

Was that PopJustice? I approve of that forum, but quite how it's possible to have a 246 page thread on a Cheryl Cole album escapes me.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.14, 07:35 AM   #225
hank

hank is headed in the right direction

Haha, yes it was PJ indeed. I'm not bothered to read most of their topics, but I have to say just for making me aware of Ringo made the whole PJ experiment worthwhile.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.06, 09:56 AM   #226
Tronada-UK

Tronada-UK pleased at least somebody

My first exposure to Shiina was via Sakuran and I hated it. I just remember thinking that her voice was too screechy!

Then a few months after my japanese penpal sent me a link to Nodouteki Sanpunkan and I listened to it over and over for weeks until I decided to get Kyoiku, then Sports, then Adult, Variety, Muzai Moratorium, Shouso Strip, then the DVDs etc.

I have no idea what happened. Just got absolutely hooked and the band (and shiina) moved into pole position musically for me.

Weird that I thought she was screechy at first :S sumimasen!
Tronada-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.03, 03:37 PM   #227
Pixelationist

Pixelationist pleased at least somebody

Downloaded KSK from some random IRC channel back in the days, without knowing what it was. Put on Shukyo and was instantly floored by how good it was.

Still one of my most memorable discoveries to this day. I miss old Shiina like you wouldn't believe.
Pixelationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.03, 03:59 PM   #228
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Welcome to the forums Pixelationist. We're all really big on Old Shiina right here. Do stick around and reminisce.

cheers.
Old 2011.03.03, 05:54 PM   #229
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

My first experience of Ringo is through Kurumaya-san in Dynamite OUT! I was totally mesmerized by her kabuki-ish screeching and that awesome melodica.

The moment I knew I wanted her was when I listened to Hatsukoi Shoujo. I cried manly tears. FIRST SONG THAT MADE ME CRY in all of my 15 years of living.

I love Hesei Fuuzoku. Listened to it even when I was studying for major exams. Hell, I can even hear it WHILE I'm doing my exams. xD

I'm not really a lyrics-listener. I like her work's unique melodies and playstyle.

After that, I just couldn't listen to other female artists.

EDIT: Do not kill me for downloading her whole discography.

Last edited by W3iHong : 2011.04.16 at 12:19 AM.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 08:01 AM   #230
day

day pleased at least somebody

I kept hearing her name mentioned among western J-pop listeners, on blogs and podcasts but didn't pay much attention. It was around the time Japanator was doing their, best albums of 2010 so-far. And the video Bentz posted was Senkou Shoujo... My reaction was "wtf this is Shiina Ringo. Talk about a let down"... Then I heard sports... and swallowed hard enough to loose a few front teeth. As Kimaru was closing out, it all began to make sense.