Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.04.21, 03:39 PM   #71
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

That is naive. All forms of energy have potential devastating effects. Nuclear energy is not dangerous with the proper precautions. How many countries have nuclear energy facilities? And the only one in trouble right now is the one in Fukushima, because the government and staff were not cautious enough. Right now, India, a country with earthquake and tsunami risks, is currently building thorium power plants.
Nuclear energy should not be blamed, it is the government's fault for not enforcing the proper measures to protect its citizens. This disaster should NOT lead to the closing of other nuclear power plants that DO follow the proper safety regulations.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.21, 04:06 PM   #72
ParisJihen

ParisJihen has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Who is naive ? The one who says "everything will be ok with Npp in our beautiful world where engineers are so smart" or the one who prefers to change our dangerous ways ?
"All forms of energy have potential devastating effects", yeah beware of Wind turbines and solar panels...
"Nuclear energy is not dangerous with the proper precautions." What about the toxic waste that nobody can get rid off ?
"How many countries have nuclear energy facilities? " Too many, it just gives an idea of how stupid AND NAIVE humans are...
But, why are you defending that nuke business that way ? Do you drow any personal benefits out of it ? Otherwise I don't understand you...
ParisJihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.21, 04:58 PM   #73
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'm sorry I insulted you. I shouldn't have called you naive just because you disagree with me. This is a passionate subject, and I should try and use less inflammatory language. I think since we both disagree and feel passionate about this we shouldn't continue the discussion about nuclear energy.
Obviously, we both disagree on the subject, and I don't think anything can change that. However, I do think we both can agree that the government is handling the situation very badly. The news of government censorship shocks and sickens me.
But, to answer your question: no, I do not work in the field of nuclear energy
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.21, 05:07 PM   #74
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ParisJihen View Post
"Nuclear energy is not dangerous with the proper precautions." What about the toxic waste that nobody can get rid off ?
1.) Fossil fuels and coal have been exponentially more harmful to this planet, not just in quantity, but mainly in their inefficiency. Nuclear has THE most efficient ratio of Energy Output versus Waste, among any 'non-renewable' sources of energy.
2.) 'Depleted' uranium is not a credible longterm problem for 'environmentalists' to protest about. Canadians figured out that uranium can actually be reused instead of buried. And even if depleted uranium truly had to be buried, it doesn't have to stay buried for more than 30 years. As with point #1 - there isn't much to bury, relative to the magnitude of energy which was produced.
Old 2011.04.22, 12:35 PM   #75
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

And the waste is a LOT less than what fossil fuels shoot off. From what I've heard, one year = a light coating over the length of a football field.

I'm a bit worried what happens when that builds up though. I say shoot it into the sun (along with all of our piling up garbage), but I'm sure the cost of that would make the energy moot anyway.

Nuclear energy isn't the best, but it's the best we have so far. I'm all for natural ways of harnessing energy, but what we have invented isn't nearly enough for what we use. Until we can make bunches and bunches of like, geothermal energy plants, we're stuck with nuclear.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.26, 03:28 AM   #76
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

[Apr.25]The B​riefing On Jap​an Quake -外国プレ​ス​へのブリーフィング-
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv47629561?ref=top

【4/25・17:00開始】​福島原子力発電所事故対策統合​本部 共同記者会見
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv47677825?ref=top

Last edited by EmilScherbe : 2011.04.26 at 03:50 AM.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.27, 06:55 AM   #77
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

The risks of nuclear energy are too big to say, oh well, we just need to regulate it. The stakes are too high. Corporations will cut corners, and governments bought off by corporate money will turn a blind eye, while the public is not watching; and the public cannot be watching all of the time. And intelligence agencies will play their deadly games (see Stuxnet). Others may get into that game as well.

Sorry, I don't have a solution handy. If we'd invested in serious research into alternative energy sources instead of endless wars fought on false pretexts (talking here from a mostly American context) we might have more concrete alternative to offer. Although, having said that, I hear mixed things about how far along some of those alternative forms are. They may be more viable than commonly thought.

Enjoy your increasingly contaminated world, friends of nuclear energy. The spread of Fukushima's poisons is just getting started.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.27, 07:34 AM   #78
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
Corporations will cut corners
We just need to add nuclear power to the list of "necessary evils" which should never ever be privatized, right alongside prisons and prescription drugs. Even with how inefficient most governments are, they'd still be able to offer a very favorable ratio of Cost versus Safety from nuclear power.
Old 2011.06.29, 09:01 AM   #79
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Thread revival. It is late in the night for me. Just checking. This is Japan's rainy season right? Can anyone tell me if there are any rivers in or around the fallout zone? If so, do the rivers travel to any other areas like tokyo or something? How about the water catchment for domestic use of water?

The reason for all these questions is that I am trying to find out if radioactive substances to get into the water supply in an increased amount due to rainy season.

Please entertain the late night mad scientist...

All right I am going to sleep. Google map has far too many details for the tired mind. I made 10 grave mistakes in grammar and usage of words already in this short passage.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.29, 02:25 PM   #80
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Rainy season came and leaving too early this year.
The summer come one month earlier than it used to.

Air and drinking water pollution is a problem of early stage of this nuclear crisis.
It was a threat March to April at least in Tokyo.

monitoring at purification plants
monitoring at Shinjuku

Remaining and ongoing issue is soil and food.

But there are always a problem of our government's behavior.
They have done loosen criteria when it matters.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote