Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.02.27, 03:20 PM   #1021
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I watched both Buffy and X-files religiously when they were on TV. It strikes me as a bit odd seeing them pitted against each other here since I loved both. Buffy had such superb campiness to it, but to tell the truth I lost interest towards the end with the new characters entering in. X-files had a great dark, mysterious thread weaving in an out of it. I loved how the episodes alternated between focusing on the thread and being largely unrelated cases--it actually served to keep the show fresh and stopped it from getting too serious and self-involved. Supernatural has the same thing going on (plus it is as campy as Buffy or even more so!).

I do tend to love all shows that Joss Wedon touches. Firefly was my personal favorite--even if it didn't last a full season! I'm hoping Dollhouse continues to pick up. The first episode was a bit underwhleming, but the second seemed better and the bit at the end with a vestige of memory left could prove very interesting if played out. I assume the Wedon fans here have seen the Dr. Horrible musical webisodes? They were absolutely brilliant!
Old 2009.02.27, 03:36 PM   #1022
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Speaking of comedies I am currently watching the fantastic Blackadder. "We've moved no further than an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping".
Old 2009.02.27, 03:49 PM   #1023
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

well I picked the movie because its recent and relevant, I mean it is kind of the summation of the entire series. and the only reason why it might be considered sub-par compared to the rest of the episodes is because it isn't in actuality an X-Files. However, when it comes to capturing the entire underlining theme of the series it manages to do it quite well. While the show focused on Moulder and what he believed and his search for the truth, the movie manages to transfer to Scully, and focuses on what she believes and her quest for the truth and it manages to work in a somewhat believable thriller plot on top of all of that. Many people said it was average compared to good episodes but I mean, I don't consider it a full length episode, there is too much character work going on for it to be so.

random but on topic: frank spotnitz said at a book signing this past week that the alien invasion movie was definitely on and it maybe not be six months, but in a year or so we will definitely see some stuff come up about it. the goal is to get a third movie out pertaining to the alien invasion of 2012 that the show ended with, wrap up a lot of loose ends, and give that huge alien blockbuster hit that the x-files show warrants.
Old 2009.02.27, 04:25 PM   #1024
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

haha, they really used the 2012 myth at the end? I recently watched a documentary on this. I haven't seen something as funny since the explanation of scientology.

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.02.27, 05:32 PM   #1025
kuro_neko

yeah, but you have to consider this was back in 2002-ish, or maybe it was 2003, way before everyone was like OMG MAYAN CALENDAR END OF THE WORLD AHHHHHHHH.

and now I have to post this

you sexy thang
Old 2009.02.28, 04:57 AM   #1026
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, 2012 was just the year the aliens picked to colonise Earth. It would have to be in the near future if the story is to feature Mulder and Scully so it's a pretty obvious year to pick. I really hope we do get an alien invasion movie and it's as good as it should be, but I have my doubts it would be funded. If the second movie cost $30 mill, god knows what an invasion movie would cost. Having said that, I've just read on wiki that the Fox chairman said regarding a third film, "That is up to Chris, David and Gillian".
Old 2009.02.28, 12:41 PM   #1027
kuro_neko

they always planned to do the alien invasion movie, it just took them a long time to get around to it. the second movie was actually something they had started as an episode and never got around to finishing. however, despite the movie not doing as well as well as hoped at the box office, it still made a considerable profit, making back what it cost plust a bunch more. and the chairman of fox saying that is old news, I guess in some ways it seems like a death setence, like they won't want to help. but frank spotnitz seems to think otherwise. if they want to get it done, they will, just not tomorrow.
Old 2009.03.02, 10:54 PM   #1028
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Ugly Betty... ugh, has anyone seen the latest episode? W T F. I had been kinda onboard with it but now it has just gone COMPLETELY off the deep end. I'm pissed at just about every storyline now. However, Justin had the greatest line. "It's like me and macrame, I don't really like it. ...Okay, that's a bad example because I LOVE macrame." I love Justin and want him to get another pseudo-boyfriend.

Supernatural has also been REALLY great this season. Adding angels into the show was PERFECT.

Has anyone been watching Dollhouse? I'm currently about 1/3 through the first episode. I've seen a loooot of internet hate for the show already; wondering if it would be worth it to get into it (once I start a show, I feel compelled to finish it at least until the end of a season. See: Heroes which I am still slogging through even though it is completely insane now and everyone else has given up on it).
Old 2009.03.03, 12:20 AM   #1029
kuro_neko

okay so I sat down and watched all the last five ugly betty episodes. I'm sorry to say but the last episode made the season for me, in a couple of ways. I know it is all pseudo-depressing and kind of heavy for a comedy, but wasn't it like that in season one and season two at random times? Like with Santos and then Mr. Meade? Anyways, the real thing is Jesse. THANK GOD betty realized he was only into himself. That whole love thing felt so amazingly forced and there was no chemistry. And then Matt comes along, hellooooo chemistry. It was so nice seeing Betty together with someone new and it didn't feel forced. I hated how they dumped Henry and Gio in the first five minutes of 3.01 but I'm glad they wanted to get the show off her love life and back on track (I'm not so sure if they haaave) but still, I digress.

My friend works on the show as P.A. so I've seen pictures of the birth of the baby from his cell phone from like a month ago but that was just hilarious. And yes, Justin gets the best lines, I totally agree.

I hate the whole Molly/Connor story line (though molly's actress is incredibly likeable, I just don't care about Daniel and Wilhema's love lives. We should get less of that, more of Amanda, Mark, and Christina. Whatever happened to her husband? I know that actress wants out, and can you blame her? They practically wrote her role out this season). ANYWAYS, so yes, I was happy to see Connor turned out to be a deusche. I feel bad for Molly, but I knew she wasn't going to stay around.

what this show needs is a kick in the pants. Betty needs a promotion. Or something serious and long lasting that won't be corrected needs to happen. Liiiiike, if MODE collapsed COMPLETELY and they had to start a new magazine from scratch. That would be interesting to watch.

but yes, I'm just actually excited to watch again to see more of Matt and Betty together. ;;giggles like a little girl;;

ps ignacio x that nurse gives me the creeps.
Old 2009.03.03, 02:16 AM   #1030
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I have faith for Ugly Betty. Things have been erratic for a while, but the obviously fictitious finality portended by the last episode gives the writers carte blanche to start fresh.

I just loved the fashion show subplot in the previous episode. I have lived in downtown NYC in the art world for the better part of two decades, and some stuff was so spot-on that I howled. They are shooting here this season, and it shows.

On a side note, I watched Dollhouse for the first time last week, episode three I think, and was disappointed. I was internally muttering at my television at various times about vapid dialog, contrived plot elements, and other things. I will give it another chance this week.

And 24 was damn good tonight.
Closed Thread