Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.06.22, 07:20 AM   #11
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

well, I have Adobe Audition, and it has a vocal extractor plug-in. Please note that the results are never perfect, because even with wave cancelling, you will still have some "artifact noise" attached to the vocal. But I suppose it's better than nothing, just be careful with those remixes, you could get into a lawsuit if too many people hear about them.

I'll see what I can do. do you have any favourite track in particular that I should begin with from HF?
Old 2007.06.22, 08:29 AM   #12
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

My attempts to do it manually with Audacity were... awful. Not even close. I'm sure I was doing something wrong. I was able to drop out some vocals with moderate success, but not the other way around.

Bebio! Wow! I wasn't fishing for someone to do anything for me, but I would be interested in ANY track if Audition produced good results. Seriously. I don't know which ones are center panned, or if that's even important. Anything that you think would be good for remixing, and comes out halfway decent. I would be thrilled. But seriously, don't go out of your way. Maybe wait until you hear what I've got.

I just started messing with the "Shiroi Hana" a cappella from Electric Mole. Thanks to the tip from MBF. So far it's a sort of dub / trip hop thing. I will post it up probably this weekend...

Lawsuit?! I would understand if I was selling them, but do you think just posting them is an issue? Then again, when this shit drops it's bound to go world wide. I'm talking private jet, getting a pedicure while talking on the phone with my agent, twenty inch rims, separate guest house for my cat, you get the idea. No, but seriously... do the admins have a position on this?
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.28, 03:53 AM   #13
bebio

ok, on my free time I'll try to do something, and see if I can get any result...
Good luck with your remixing!
Old 2007.06.28, 02:20 PM   #14
newyorkjihen

Fantastic! I don't think I am the only person who would be interested in hearing the vocals separated.

As for my track... uh... still working on it. I'm happy with the Shiroi Hana vocals. I just don't know if I took it in the right direction...
Old 2007.07.04, 08:34 AM   #15
bebio

Ok, After countless attempts at several songs, I think I got a "...tolerable..." result with Ichijiku No Hana.

Meaning, if you select and trim the vocals, isolating each sentence to create a sample phrase, apply an adequate reverb to the vocals, and make careful use of EQ and compression, I think you will get a "good" result with this one. "good" as in, it gets the job done, but it's certainly not "stellar" quality audio. As it is right now, the first part of the lyrics is not very good, but the second round, she repeats the same lyrics, and I managed to get a more decent vocal isolation on this section, so you can trim each phrase better and use this section for the whole song. As for the final part, there's sonic artifacts that simply cannot be removed, but they're relatively easy to disguise if you use other instrumentation on top of the vocals, so it's acceptable, I think.
I'll try to upload the "a capella" track (about 25-40 MB, depends how well my WinRAR works on this one) on Friday or Saturday.
Old 2007.07.04, 01:42 PM   #16
newyorkjihen

Dude. I don't know how to thank you enough. Now I better do something good with it. I have to say it's a good choice in songs to separate the vocals from. The arrangement is probably simple enough to make it possible, I'm guessing, but her voice is particularly nice in that song.
Old 2007.07.06, 05:50 AM   #17
KishiTheEvilLampshade

KishiTheEvilLampshade pleased at least somebody

Orgel from her demo tape is practically a capella. It might be good to work with, since it's a raw demo and everything.
KishiTheEvilLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.06, 08:47 AM   #18
newyorkjihen

"Orgel"... if that is the same as 「オルゴール」then it's not quite what I'm looking for, although I appreciate the tip.
Old 2007.07.09, 03:14 AM   #19
bebio

oops hey I've been a bit busy, sorry. I had to travel to my home town to see my parents, and I have no idea if I took the audio file with me in my cd-r, but I'll check later.
Old 2010.05.13, 07:26 PM   #20
KronKyrios

KronKyrios pleased at least somebody

Did anything ever come of this? Or, does anyone have any remixes of Ringo that I can at least get the titles to if not an actual copy? I am curious because I have had the same thoughts, but lack expertise. And I noticed that of all the artists I listen to, Ringo has the fewest remixes.

I had a plug-in for Soundforge that was supposed to do it, but I never messed with it enough to know how well it worked. I dabbled enough with things to make some extended versions of some songs I thought were not long enough. One of them was a Ringo tune, the KZK version of Yatsuke Shigoto, which I sped up 50% and found it became too short, so a few loops in key places did the trick.

But I never really pursued remixing with any kind of passion. It's too bad, too, because I can hear so many good possibilities for remixes in my head from time to time.

Image Courtesy of MBF
KronKyrios is offline   Reply With Quote