Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.05.02, 02:44 PM   #341
jez

jez pleased at least somebody

Did anyone else notice that on Tegami, first guitar solo at around 2:44-2:45, Ukigumo probably made a mistake and played a wrong note, and yet they left it on the studio album?

To be really specific, it's the last of the 2 notes played simultaneously near the very end of the solo.

My friend pointed this out to me one day. I never really noticed it before or just didn't care, but now that I listen to it more carefully, I think he's right. It sounds wrong/strange, kinda off-key or something.

Although he plays the solo nearly identically at the Just Can't Help It -DVD, I'm interested to know what you guys think? Could it be a mistake and they just didn't care? Is Ukigumo an accurate guitar player anyway? Is he ever commented or implied otherwise whether he concentrates more on the technical side or the fun aspect of the playing? Any other relevant comments? I haven't really found a lot of information about him because a lot of stuff are written in japanese and Google translate isn't really helpful.

Lastly I have to say that we do listen to this band because of the music, but we are also interested in this side as well, because all of the musicians seem to be great and precise with their instrument.

(Also on the Spa & Treatment -DVD, possibly in the song Pinocchio, there was some strangeness in the guitar solo too but I haven't had a chance to double check that yet. Like his guitar was out of tune or he played notes that were off the song key or something.)

Last edited by jez : 2011.05.02 at 02:52 PM.
jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.02, 05:02 PM   #342
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Accurate guitar playing is dead.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 11:33 AM   #343
jez

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Accurate guitar playing is dead.
Well I don't know about Japan, but at least in many other countries the fact is that you don't usually leave mistakes on a studio album. Especially if they are clearly audible. But do you agree that there's a wrong note in that solo?
Old 2011.05.03, 12:02 PM   #344
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Describe accurate. Every guitarist who has worked with Ringo is sloppy live with the exception of Yukio Nagoshi. It sounds fine when Hirama or Susumu Nishikawa are rocking out, not so good when Uki botches something like Killer Tune, and absolutely terrible when Yayoshi plays anything.
Old 2011.05.03, 12:11 PM   #345
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I prefer guitar playing with passion and be distinctive (even if a little sloppy) versus lifeless, accurate playing.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.05.03 at 12:37 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 12:18 PM   #346
Maou

^ So do I which is why I like Hirama more than Ukigumo.

Nishikawa is godlike. Seriously. Track down some old Ringo lives from 1999 (Sweet Love Shower or Senkou XTC) and experience the Gyakutai Glycogen band before it got butchered.
Old 2011.05.03, 12:38 PM   #347
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

For me, I consider Uki to be the distinctive player versus Hirama the accurate player.
I think that's just personal taste though.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 12:52 PM   #348
jez

Thanks for the replies guys. I just want to remind that my main subject here was the Tegami studio version, and your comments on that. Live situations are a different thing and anything can happen there.

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Describe accurate. Every guitarist who has worked with Ringo is sloppy live with the exception of Yukio Nagoshi. It sounds fine when Hirama or Susumu Nishikawa are rocking out, not so good when Uki botches something like Killer Tune, and absolutely terrible when Yayoshi plays anything.
Well at least for me accurate means that you don't play wrong notes. It's not so big deal if you miss one or two, because everybody does that, but if you play a wrong one, it can really throw you off.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Ringo's live guitarists, but I was under the impression that she is able to gather talented musicians around her. That's one of the benefits of being a famous artist, I guess. I watched Mikio Hirama on Jihen's first DVD, and I really liked his playing. He didn't strike me with his technical ability, but his playing sounded good all the way through. Ukigumo seems to be technically more skilled, but apparently not so accurate, or he just doesn't care.

And speaking of Dynamite Out, I like Izawa Ichiyou much more than HZM. Here, judging by the DVD's I've seen, HZM seems to be very talented technically speaking, but Izawa's style and musicality is what I love.

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I prefer guitar playing with passion and be distinctive (even if a little sloppy) versus lifeless, accurate playing.
Yes, but it doesn't have to be either or. There are guitarists that are both. But I guess at the end of the day it's just a matter of opinion.
Old 2011.05.03, 01:03 PM   #349
Maou

Crap. I'm somehow in another Hirama/Uki discussion.

You are the only person I've ever seen to take that position, TurtleFu. Generally Uki is seen as the more technical, robotic player against Hirama's simpler, passion-filled style. We got a guy here who likes Uki and doesn't like Hirama because Hirama is so passionate it looks like it sexually pleases him. His words, not mine.

As for the studio version of Tegami, jez, I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to. I don't think it's a mistake, but I'll listen to it again when I have the chance. I don't have the CD or my computer with the rip with me so I can't right now.
Old 2011.05.03, 05:46 PM   #350
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

lol maou, EMF is so cyclical. I posted in a "old/nu Shiina argument" and now you here in a Uki/Hirama argument (in this day and age?? At least it is in the most appropriate thread.)

I've noticed Turtlefu arrives at decisions a bit differently from, essentially, everyone else.