Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.06.24, 01:18 PM   #271
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Came back from the dead just to make incoherent comments on this album...

Opens up strongly with the Ryuukou / Roudousha / Mittei Monogatari string, but it puts me in a mood where I'm not expecting it to be followed by ○chiten kara. It's not a bad song, though, and I can roll with it, so it doesn't bother me after a half-minute in.

Track 5. Karisome Otome. As soon it starts up, I go "Bah, this is a shitty non-HF version," and become tempted to skip it. But since I'm digging the cohesiveness of the album so far, I put up with it the only way I know how - by making up a funny dance to go along with it.

Okay, having reached the end of the track, the album offers a mocking apology with the beginning fanfare of Tsugou no Ii Karada, and I'm like "Wow, Bob Barker didn't retire and he's calling me down to win prizes! I think I'll bid $1 more than the person before me!" but before I know it the song goes into some West Side Story-esque arrangement and I'm reminded of my dissatisfaction with such a small part in that production back in high school. It's an okay song, I guess. At the end, when then lyrics stop and the weird fanfare returns, I feel like having my goldfish spayed and neutered.

Thankfully, Shun calms me completely. Ironically, this is the song I pay the most attention to. (Yes, I know it's not actually the verb "shun", but it was necessary for this joke and the next one.) Turns out it was just warning me to ignore...

...Futaribocchi Mango--- I mean Jikan. If I wasn't on a roll already, I might search for a better joke comparison, but each song evoked the same feeling when I first heard it - "meh". However, the difference here is that there is no shady nook to be found. =/ Maybe it'll grow on me, I don't know.

But it doesn't really matter, because the next two songs make up for it. I love Masayoshi Yasaotoko and Togatta Teguchi. It's like they knew which two songs off of this album could tear the listening space asunder if they put them together. It's a great combination, like chocolate + chili powder, Team NINJA x Nintendo, and techno + viking.

Irokoizata was a fun little number, but being sandwiched between Togatta Teguchi and the excellent Bonsai Hada, it /feels/ like filler even though it could be a decent stand-alone song.

I like the decision to go with just the accordion on Bonsai Hada, although I will admit that on more than one occassion I expected it to collapse into Yami ni Furu Ame and/or Toki ga Bousou Suru for some reason.

Hmm... Yokyou. Not sure how to feel about this one. I guess I'd put it somewhere between "yeah-ee-yeah-ee-yeah" and "you know how much I carrot", which roughly translates into actual English as above-average nostalgia.

Speaking of nostalgia, Ringo sounds like she's looking for a good way to be fly by taking MaruSadi old-school - it's very mid-to-late-90s.

Temporary final verdict - 7 to 8ish, maybe? I don't know, have to formally work out the averages and weights. But I enjoyed the album overall, it's not bad.

Last edited by Positron : 2009.06.24 at 01:22 PM.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 01:22 PM   #272
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Started an album opinion poll just to get an idea of the general sentiment here--I want to know whether it's overwhelmingly negative, positive, or mixed. Post your opinion!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 02:21 PM   #273
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I love all these reviews. Keep it coming guys (I'm looking at you, lurkers).
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 02:30 PM   #274
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
I love all these reviews. Keep it coming guys (I'm looking at you, lurkers).
expect my Bring It!, Tori Dori, and SG reviews in their respective threads sometime in the next 24 hours, XD.

I'm looking forward to reading Glath's review. Also, is Maou still around? Does he have a review or did I miss it?

Jihad, I really enjoyed reading your review. I have to admit it was probably the only one I really was excited to read, see how you reacted.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 03:01 PM   #275
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

Since I'm still in my honeymoon stage, I can't rationally critique it. My feeling is that I love it. I believe it's better than any Tokyo Jihen album, and it even seems like a logical result of KSK + 6 years of artistic growth in a world of Neko & Adult.

I can do without the rap, though it's not bad and I'm not anti-rap. I may skip Shun on occasion, only because it's a ballad, but it is an excellent ballad.

Like her other solo albums, there's much to like everywhere. It's not really a Rock album, but that's fine with me. I think Rock needs more Disney. I also think Rock is just more Swing, so having modern, well-arranged & performed big band stuff by a legitimate rocker is almost overwhelmingly good.

Short version: I love Sanmon Gossip!
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 03:08 PM   #276
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

In an ideal world, this album + Superficial Gossip + Ariamaru Tomi + Gamble, Hatsukoi Shoujo, Oiran, Sakuran and Kono...Kagiri + EXPO concert would have come after Kyouiku, and TJ would have disbanded after Hirama and HZM left.

I'm so excited to see where Shiina/TJ Phase 2 will go after this. Where CAN they go?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 03:29 PM   #277
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

By the way, just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrch004
And just realised how SR is really a woman now. And I really can't match her usual singing voice with her face/demeanour here.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 03:40 PM   #278
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
so hopefully my album will arrive in the mail with Bring It! and Tori Dori in a few hours. I will post Tori Dori thoughts in that thread for those who are waiting for first impressions.
where in the world are you right now?

also, has everyone seen this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1boUw...eature=channel

i don't think i've seen it posted here. i got to it from the like that scribble was looking at. i haven't watched it since i want to hear it on the album first. but i wonder if this is the same as the studio version?

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2009.06.24 at 03:47 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 03:48 PM   #279
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm in Honolulu.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 03:57 PM   #280
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Ohh, ok, that makes sense. i thought you were in boston, or somewhere around there, which would mean that a few hours from whenever you posted it would have been around evening time. so, wtf should your postman go to your house in the evening and not mine. =)
that's cool, though, what are you there for?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote