Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.05.09, 11:32 PM   #91
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by teattum View Post
I sent a CD with a great part of ringo discography... for a friend's mother (even if I've not a lot of friends, but we currently don't care, especially me).

Because this friend told me her mother has fallen in love when she played some pieces of Ringo on their HIFI.

Since then I know there is another fan in my town, but not yet the opportunitie to know her. Does she as addicted as I? I ignore that.
what is their HIFI?
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.09, 11:42 PM   #92
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
what is their HIFI?
If by that you meant a brand then I'm sorry for the mistake, but if you were actually asking what a Hi-Fi is? it's just a name for a typical stereo system (i.e. two speakers/CD/Cassette/radio) I grew up hearing that term for a system all the time.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.10, 12:13 AM   #93
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Merged this thread with an older one on the same topic
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.10, 03:12 AM   #94
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Nobody likes what I listen to, so, no.
Yeah me too. If I played that Melt Banana song that's the previous 10 album tracks played at once it would probably confirm people IRL's expectations of what I listen to. And a couple of others seem to think I like Mariah Carey. Reading the posts it seems if you play SR/TJ naturally in the background people get into it (I don't have a car...) and anybody with artistic leanings has to adore the PVs and lives. Seems so many people on EMF are artistic.

I don't want to die alone as an SR fan so I played her to:

1. A guy with a Gilles Peterson-esque music taste and an experimental hip-hop/electronica podcast on a train ride. Played him something like Himitsu, Tasogare Naki, Keshou Naoshi, MaruSadi, Fukou Jiman, Kuki, Hatsukoi Shoujo, Suberidai. He said he loved it and was impressed by how the tracks changed style so often during the song. As he asked me to play him more, I played him KSK. He eventually said he needed a break because he wasn't used to listening to so many songs in Japanese but that it was fabulous.

2. A HK/Chinese friend who played me a Jay Chow video she was into on an iPhone. I'd heard JCHI Rakujitsu for the first time that morning and was on a total high from it all day. I was literally unable to speak or listen to people, got on the wrong underground trains etc, because Rakujitsu was just love. Showed her that, since I guessed she might like it, and she handed the headphones back to me within seconds saying "ha ha it sounds Chinese, not Japanese!"

3. A close friend. I showed her EXPO Yokushitsu which she said was interesting, she'd never heard music like that before [?] and SR was so beautiful. But it's not like she's asked for any more.

4. A Japanese friend and her husband because she was interested in my Zazen DVD. We played a few tracks, but he was weirded out. He'd really like Shoujo Robot and Kabukichou but then find Yokushitsu and Sid to Hakuchiimu strange and loudly criticised her voice. But I think he was saying these things to deliberately piss his wife off who was enjoying it.

5. Broadcast Memai at work because I didn't have my earphones plugged in correctly. Noone complained.

Neko's post made me lol, if I wanted to get my dad into SR I'd play him MM (and he'd probably like Etsuraku-hen the most. But he likes punk and new wave.)
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.10, 09:35 AM   #95
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Essay

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
3. A close friend. I showed her EXPO Yokushitsu which she said was interesting, she'd never heard music like that before [?] and SR was so beautiful. But it's not like she's asked for any more.
It's funny, because I have a friend who I showed the Mayonaka wa Junketsu Electric Mole performance from, and she kept asking if SR was wearing a wig, and that it was interesting because she'd never heard music like that before. But she didn't ask for more! Are you sure we're not talking about the same person? We both live in London after all =P

I'm a very annoying person, because I try to subject Shiina Ringo to EVERYONE I'm close to. My mother's sick to death of Shiina Ringo, but she thinks that she's extremely talented, and thinks that Shiina Ringo is perfect -- as in she's extremely beautiful and extremely talented. Once she asked me if SR had plastic surgery because no-one can look so beautiful. I said no, conveniently excusing the collagen =P But yeah, she's kind of sick of her at the same time, and hates Identity and thinks Yattsuke Shigoto KSK and Yami Furu Ame and Gamble HF are her best tracks.

Another friend is strange because we kind of have a stupid rivalry. We argue constantly, and every time I show him a Japanese video he laughs at it. He TRIED it with Shiina Ringo, but fell in love with Sounan and he even said (And it's weird to get him to actually side with me) 'You have to admit, she's versatile.' He hates when Shiina Ringo goes wild with her voice though. And when I played him Shuukyou he seemed to be kind of shocked, in a 'Did she do this?' kind of way. And it's weird to see this guy speechless.

Anooooother friend got quite hooked on Shiina Ringo for a while, and even sent me a text saying that she wants to have sex with SR. She used to only listen to shitty Japanese music before and is one of those people obsessed with bad Japanese pop culture. I'm not friends with her anymore, and as far as I know, all she listens to is manufactured Japanese boy bands now.

Friend number whatever doesn't get SR, but he is the kind that thinks Lil Wayne is the peak of music experimentation. I played Shiina Ringo to him once and he says that she sounds like 'a small act in a concert that plays before the bigger one.' Haha!

Another person listened to Gamble HF and said, "forget this crap, I want to listen to real rock music."

Shit, I've just told my whole life story. To add something else, it's REALLY hard to get people 'into' Shiina Ringo because she does all kinds of stuff. I have so many friends who listened to only ONE Shiina Ringo track and firmly decided that they didn't like her music.

My mother is kind
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.10, 03:08 PM   #96
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Another person listened to Gamble HF and said, "forget this crap, I want to listen to real rock music."
Urm, you obviously should be playing Tsumi to Batsu for this person...
Old 2009.05.10, 03:49 PM   #97
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Another friend is strange because we kind of have a stupid rivalry. We argue constantly, and every time I show him a Japanese video he laughs at it. He TRIED it with Shiina Ringo, but fell in love with Sounan and he even said (And it's weird to get him to actually side with me) 'You have to admit, she's versatile.' He hates when Shiina Ringo goes wild with her voice though. And when I played him Shuukyou he seemed to be kind of shocked, in a 'Did she do this?' kind of way. And it's weird to see this guy speechless.
Seems he's a fan . I remember mocking stuff that I was just about to get into with the Stone Roses back in the 90s. I did it the other night with JCHI Honnou (I blame the "anti-Phase 2 bias" here) and feel bad about it because I really like the look of JCHI now (maybe my favourite MaruSadi?) and have that to add to this expensive shopping list.

I can relate to the need to make fans of people I know and being annoying in playing people her music, but I did meet an existing fan, maybe I should text him about the new album and EMF.

I started writing an essay myself after watching EM Mayonaka on YouTube and I was a bit too Londoncentric in my references, so I'll save it in case any of it's relevant and kind of need to HTH. Seriously though, wouldn't it be the best thing in the history of the world ever if SR came to South Bank and played the Meltdown Festival. She could use one of our smaller orchestras if she likes, some of the time, but please don't Papaya Mango it up too much !
Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Urm, you obviously should be playing Tsumi to Batsu for this person...
Probably, I thought that way when I started my jazz-loving friend with some Adult... But are people who only like one genre of music going to like SR anyway? [Edit: Actually Scribble didn't say this about his friend, sorry...! Maybe his friend just wanted to listen to some rock ] Tsumi to Batsu seems like a good call though.

Actually HF Gamble and Yume No Ato* are the two where I still find her voice too harsh at times and this is from someone who can't stop listening to CD2 of ZCS (that's not why I have this username though. I just thought it would be a cool name)

...It's interesting to see people like STEM and it's a good one to play people...? I guess it's in English and has a pretty Japanese PV?

*Edit: OK I see now why the "tsukuru no sa" ending sounds so impassioned [frecklegirl's translation link]. Sometimes her voice isn't conventionally pretty for a reason. OT: will search the site about this song.

Last edited by so_cold : 2009.05.11 at 12:14 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.12, 10:53 PM   #98
Controversy

Controversy has had more than 15 seconds of fame

i blog about sr regularly. about her epic lives and some music videos.

osca is obviously everyone's favourite. but nobody seems to like kzk (yet!). the hf yokushitsu is quite well-received (weird word, but at least nobody complained about the vocals ) no generalization here, but my lesbian friends like honnou. video AND song.

in general, people can't get used to her vocals (but they listen to clap your hands say yeah!).

Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.13, 02:08 AM   #99
merman

merman is an asset to this community

W/E. This "vocals" thing is pretty irritating, like when people say Bjork or indeed SR have irritating or grating vocals and they refuse to listen to the music on that sole ground. Honestly, I think all these divas that supposedly have gr8 voices, take for example Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion or Whitney Houston (ever since I've seen the wonderful Debra Wilson spoofing her, I can't mention Whitney and resist laughing) - when in fact their greatness only means they hit high notes and have BIG voices, not interesting voices. Not to mention their cookie-cutter songs, and there you have a boring result.
I'll take any shrill voice over that if the music has SOUL.
/rant
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.13, 09:16 AM   #100
clowezra

clowezra is headed in the right direction

My younger brothers overheard me listening to OSCA, and were originally like 'lolwtf', but they love it now. Also, my cousin has a soft spot for Yokushitsu. Apart from that, my friends love a lot of other japanese music I listen to, but rarely does anyone ever enjoy SR.=/