Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.06.16, 06:58 PM   #9221
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

@ That new Death Grips album/EP/whatever it is:

I think my little affair with this group is over. I just feel bored with them now. There's only so much you can do with this level of intense. I'm still surprised by the low score they got from Pitchfork though, it's like Pitchfork gave an obligatory low score to one of their "darlings" to try and prove that they aren't biased.

I don't like it because I think it's a drop in quality, I just don't like it because I find it pretty much the same and it seems to be getting a little loose around the seams. Still, the use of Bjork is somewhat interesting, though I imagine this will be in the "forgotten" bin by the end of the year.

Anyway, something I do like, a lot:
有機生命体-クレーター(食事のお礼)

I've already hunted down both of their albums. Sounds near Togawa tier.
Old 2014.06.17, 06:58 AM   #9222
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post

I think my little affair with this group is over. I just feel bored with them now. There's only so much you can do with this level of intense. I'm still surprised by the low score they got from Pitchfork though, it's like Pitchfork gave an obligatory low score to one of their "darlings" to try and prove that they aren't biased.

I don't like it because I think it's a drop in quality, I just don't like it because I find it pretty much the same and it seems to be getting a little loose around the seams. Still, the use of Bjork is somewhat interesting, though I imagine this will be in the "forgotten" bin by the end of the year.
I feel this album is more minimal, and I found it more compelling because of that. "Say Hey Kid" and "Big Dipper" being my favorite tracks, which I feel to be the most gratifying on first listen, were really straightforward. "Up my sleeve" and "Billy not really" as well. I feel the rest of the tracks were unpolished and were put out young, with the exception of Black Quarterback. Just don't like the track that much. Nothing is wrong if it.

While I definitely would recommend people to listen to the album, I'd have them know that this is only half of a project.

The hipsters here are still eating it up. A chick heard it from my headphones in Bayridge and look back at me with nods of approval.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.18, 08:12 PM   #9223
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Dr Zoidberg's song - He wants a brain
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.19, 06:32 AM   #9224
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post

*streeeetch*

Niggas on the Moon is shaping up to be one of the more interesting releases this year. As Death Grips is one of the hottest and daring acts around, given the size, and given the "say wha?" of the Bjork collab, there is a fat chance it won't get several looks at the end of the year. Death Grips builds on their Government Plates sound, fleshes out the style structurally, and allows Ride more room to play. Its fun, its cool, its dark, its abrasive, its everything Death Grips has always been.

As for the Pitchfork review: Pitchfork has always been icy on Death Grips. Even though The Money Store got a high score, BNM, they never really rolled out the red carpet for it like Grimes, or the new Sun Kil Moon (or even Lana Del Ray. For real, stop trying to make Lana Del Ray happen.) Pitchfork likes Death Grips more as a news story because they do of the wall things that attract eyeballs like everything about NO LOVE DEEP WEB (which thunderously was passed on a BNM.) But they don't fit into the Pitchfork model of sound. Pitchfork isn't so different from the MTV of the 90's. Yeah, make something kind of personal, but so much the better if your face can be used on ad space (see: Sky Ferreira, Real Estate.) They want you to be cool and edgy, but don't "seriously" rock the boat. Pitchfork never crowned Death Grips like it has Kanye, or Arcade Fire, or even the latest incarnation of Swans. They just became too much for Pitchfork to ignore, so they had/have to acknowledge them lest they lose their own cred; they pay some face. But after some people grew lukewarm over Govt Plates (not me doh), Pitchfork realized they missed their opportunity to set the agenda and they jumped to prematurely judge half of an album.

That same day they also gave a poor review to the new Clipping album, which is also laughable.
Old 2014.06.19, 06:42 AM   #9225
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
That same day they also gave a poor review to the new Clipping album, which is also laughable.
Have not heard of this band/artist. Are they hip hop?

Also, I was half wondering if commenting somewhat negatively (I mean, it's no secret that I've never really "got" the group/have never found them to hit any real chords with me- so my opinion is really just a fart in the wind when it comes to DG) on the new Death Grips would eventuate with a showing of you, Jihad :-p (But stick around, it's been weird/doesn't feel like EMF with the mainly positive vibes around the new Shiina Ringo album and single (especially the single, I mean, WTF mang, you're gonna let the praise slide on such a throwaway track, you're gonna let me actually start to like it because there's no voice of doom around???)

A big is needed I think.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.06.19 at 06:59 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.19, 07:21 AM   #9226
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Clipping is an noise-hop act not too dissimilar from Death Grips Government Plates. Last year their debut mixtape/album, Midcity was my number 11 favorite album of last year, how could you forget, I know you read every word of my write up and committed it to heart

Its clipping bitch

Their new album CLPNG is even better, though I honestly need to spend more time with it and the new Death Grips, and the new Swans, and the new Sharon Van Etten, and the new Priests, and the new First Aid Kit, and the new Fire! Orchestra Q_Q Not a whole lot of music time lately. I have daydreamed about listening to the "new" Shiina Ringo thing, but its more fun to imagine what it sounds like (which is especially easy since I've heard the songs before!)

(There, got that one out of my system too. =p)
Old 2014.06.19, 07:30 AM   #9227
deadgrandma

WHAT? You've never wanted to hear a really retarded (yet charming, to be PC) 90's-as drum and bass rendition of Kachuu no Otoko so loud it makes your ears bleed and probably causes permanent longterm damage to your hearing????
Old 2014.06.19, 04:31 PM   #9228
Inseu

Blonde Redhead - No More Honey

Not bad. Wish the rest of the album packs more punch though.
Old 2014.06.20, 07:23 PM   #9229
deadgrandma

Boris- Heavy Rain

Am I crazy thinking this could possibly be the best track Boris have ever recorded?!!!

The more I listen, the more powerful it gets.
Old 2014.06.20, 08:05 PM   #9230
Inseu

泥娃娃