Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.08.03, 09:42 AM   #981
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I was in Kabukicho today and they were playing the Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri PV on a massive screen outside a shopping centre. I kinda don't mind it. Still not sold on the autotune but shit, at least it's not NIPPON, which I've heard like 10 times since I got here three days ago.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
So I just read this in a PM sent to me on last.fm (apparantly posted on FB originally) in regards to Kamisama, Hotekesama...

"The characters in the very beginning of this video and the man rapping in the background from 0:26 are the "theme sentence" of Zazen boys. Mukai Shutoku says it in a lot their records and lives. While I really love the collaboration, it does raise some doubt as to if the concept of this song (which is very refreshing from a Ringo fan's perspective) is somehow inspired by Zazen rather than being original. I'll have to listen to it for a while to tell though."

I found it kind of interesting... though don't really know what this person is really talking about... anyone care to elaborate?
Yeah, the first two lines (kurikaesareru shougyou mujou etc) are like Mukai's favourite lyric and it shows up in almost every Zazen Boys song (you could even see it as a callback to "crazy days, crazy feeling" which features Ringo and came out over a decade ago). I literally just got back from a Zazen Boys show and he ad libbed it a few times so I can confirm that he uses it live too. It roughly translates to "the impermanence of the world repeats. my libido is reborn". "shougyou mujou" (impermanence, in the buddhist sense) and "seiteki shoudou" (libido) are pretty important thematically to Zazen Boys' music.

That being said, it's no big secret that the two artists are inspired by each other, and budddhist themes (hokotesama is right there in the title) and sex aren't exactly new ground for Ringo. She probably asked Mukai to do it. And the track certainly sounds more like her than anything Zazen Boys have ever done. I haven't heard the full version though, I wouldn't know if it turned into some kind of technical rock jam with weird time signatures in it.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 12:30 PM   #982
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

It's been confirmed not autotune, but a vocoder, just FYI.

What does that Zazen Boys line mean, anyway? I knew it had to be some sort of intro or something because I noticed it popping up a lot on every album.

That JPS link to the video is dead, btw.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 01:36 PM   #983
Slowdive

Slowdive has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I love the Kamisama, Hotokesama video.

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
That JPS link to the video is dead, btw.
Works for me.
Slowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 02:13 PM   #984
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Doesn't work for me, but JPS is just 404ing for me here. I assumed it was either the hotel or Japan as a whole that have blocked it.

And in the most general and simplified sense I think the line basically means "nothing lasts forever and I will come back from this", particularly in the context of a relationship ending.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 03:34 PM   #985
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Kamisama, Hotokesama is like the solo OSCA
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 04:56 PM   #986
harry4567

harry4567 raises the standards of what a community can offer

Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri (from ayane @ Jpopsuki)
harry4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 05:16 PM   #987
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Not sure if it was available before you posted it, but it's already been blocked.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 05:25 PM   #988
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The more I hear these songs, the more I'm starting to think that Kamisama might have been something that's been around for a while whereas Coke song was slapped together in a couple days...

Who is girl in Coke song PV btw... she's stunning. Oh wait. Says at the end of the full PV... Saya from Elevenplay. Is this Ringo's new choice dance troupe?

Both these PVs are better than the songs (just like Expo 14's visuals were better than the performances). Coke song one is quite good apart from the Ringo and Uki shots haha.

Also, Coke song's concept/story is pretty damn similar to the story in Midnight Seijun Isei Kouyuu, just saying :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.08.03 at 05:43 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 05:45 PM   #989
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

I really think this may be the best 1-2 punch of music videos she's done.

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Shiina-...51579fd45ea7c1

I'm pretty certain in hindsight that it was totally intentional to show us the Ringo/Uki clips in full beforehand.

Kamisama is awesome, obviously. Feels like a mini-movie. Pretty good tune as well.

Cinematography in both is great.

Last edited by thefro : 2015.08.03 at 05:48 PM.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 08:56 PM   #990
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

The choreographer is MIKIKO, who I believe also did/does Perfume's choreo.