Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.10.23, 01:32 PM   #761
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

You could rearrange, I dunno, Ramp, all you wanted and you still wouldn't make a masterpiece of it. Some so-so songs CAN suddenly transform into great ones if you change the arrangement. I just think that the Kyouiku songs, if she rearranged them, could be given enough of a nudge to justify, I dunno, Odaiji Ni being booted off the album. And it's not as if a song has to have a DEFINITIVE arrangement.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.23, 02:32 PM   #762
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Gunjou is not bad, but it's no more interesting than, say, 'New Civilization', is it?
My feeling exactly!

edit: speaking of arrangements, Carnation arranged classic SR style would sound like Poltergeist.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2011.10.23 at 02:45 PM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.23, 03:33 PM   #763
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Gunjo is the best pop song Jihen has done. Considering all the j-pop fans here, it is astounding to me that it isn't more appreciated.
You don't like jpop, maybe a jpop fan sees it differently/who knows how they think. It's like someone trying to preach why x thrash band is better than y thrash band to a metal head when you generally only listen to indie pop etc etc.

I however, really do like Gunjo Byori :-)
Old 2011.10.23, 04:39 PM   #764
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I am a big fan of Puffy and Kaela Kimura, whom are undoubtedly j-pop. I'm no expert in that one genre, but I can make an informed opinion. Unless you assume all j-pop experts don't know their ears from their ass.
Old 2011.10.23, 04:57 PM   #765
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

But you're still a rock man at heart. Puffy and Keala Kimura aren't exactly AKB48/Koda Kumi/Ayumi Hamasaki which are what spring to mind when I hear the words Jpop. This is what I meant, a person who likes them kind of bands the most will obviously have a different perspective. And blah blah.

As far as pop rock, Gunjo is one of the best.

Overall I put it down to people not having any sex drive. I mean, as if this doesn't work for you:

Old 2011.10.23, 06:25 PM   #766
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Calling Kaela Kimura straight j-pop is a stretch. Definitely pop rock. But I guess if Gunjou is also "pop" relative to the rest of her work (which we all agree it is) then that's a moot point.

Also, why all the hate on Kyouiku? Am I the only one who prefers it to DO?
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.23, 06:39 PM   #767
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

yes.
Old 2011.10.23, 10:36 PM   #768
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Actually, I listened to Gunjou Biyori again. I think I initially mixed it up with Crawl (lawd, that song is bad), because it sounded really great (except for the drums in a few places). So apparently Jihad's theory is right, cuz I listen to a crapload of JPop (Ayu, Namie Amuro, Kana Nishino, BoA, Hikki, etc.)

BTW, out of listening to all of Jihen's albums so far, Kyouiku is my favorite and Sports is my least favorite (but I haven't listened to Variety yet, so that is subject to possibly change).
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.23, 11:09 PM   #769
deadgrandma

inb4 any smartass/expected Variety comments
Old 2011.10.23, 11:13 PM   #770
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

I'm expecting sooo many; you have no idea.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote