Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.08.27, 12:54 PM   #51
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
ugh, JR has terrible taste in Gunjos =(
LTTP: Yep. Phase 2 isn't horrible, but I can't stand that cheap Mentos commercial sound they have during the first verse. Just so Phase 2, yanno? Every Phase 1 version (studio, Meet the World, DO, etc) is better.
Old 2009.08.27, 01:46 PM   #52
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by JonnoJ View Post
Seems like the thread for random shiina questions, anyone know the story behind this pic?
http://www.last.fm/music/椎名林檎/+images/218822
When a magazine is from before 2006 and it's not Rockin' On Japan, most international fans can't identify it.

That picture is from 音楽と人 Vol.73 issued in February 2002, and I'm not just saying that from googling around for the front cover and thinking "She's wearing the armor, so clearly it has to be the same issue". I have the magazine. It's one of the more extensive Shiina Ringo photoshoots I've seen, compared to the issues from any original publications in more recent years. You can find that issue on Yahoo! Japan Auctions basically every month, if not every week.

There are other Shiina Ringo related issues of 音楽と人, but they aren't very rewarding to buy if who you are trying to collect is Shiina Ringo. The most you'll get are glimpses of her in music festivals where she isn't the central theme of those photoshoots. The main reason to buy a typical issue of 音楽と人 is if you follow the successful punk or rockabilly groups in Japan, so I wouldn't expect a 音楽と人 compilation of Shiina Ringo like we recently had with Rockin' On Japan. She simply wasn't very involved in this publication. She had one good photoshoot with them and that was basically all.

Originally Posted by JonnoJ View Post
Ooh, also been meaning to ask, anyone heard 玉手箱/tametebako? Any reviews of it from playgoers?
EMF generally isn't 2chan where a small circle of people review something that nobody outside the circle could access. You've got immaturity among the a few of the Haves, immaturity among a few of the Have-Nots, followed by a lot of begging and frustration and an overall feeling of division among the fanbase.

You might have better luck asking someone who has the song listed on their Last.fm, and even then that doesn't necessarily mean they would ever give you the song itself, or identify their source.
Old 2009.08.27, 02:04 PM   #53
huerta

huerta pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
You might have better luck asking someone who has the song listed on their Last.fm, and even then that doesn't necessarily mean they would ever give you the song itself, or identify their source.
Why?
huerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.27, 03:25 PM   #54
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The most -connected- Shiina Ringo fans are precautious introverts who prefer to stick with their closest associates. It's like there's a bunch of ninja villages throughout various secluded valleys - you don't see the villages, but you see certain styles and associations among people who obviously have access to some kind of common secrets within a clan. Those example people aren't completely living up to the ninja legacy, because if you can see or profile them, then they have failed their duties as ninjas. It's rather unheard of to witness two failures from the same ninja. Having tametebako on your Last.fm is one failure.
Old 2009.08.27, 03:34 PM   #55
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Are we talking about the same Tamatebako that Shiina did for those shows several years ago?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.27, 03:45 PM   #56
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Probably.
There's no indication anywhere online that multiple versions were made.

Now some people have actually been to the show. You could ask them what they think, but I'll tell you right now, they're native Japanese speakers and only one of them likes to hang out around here.
Old 2009.08.27, 03:52 PM   #57
JonnoJ

JonnoJ is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
When a magazine is from before 2006 and it's not Rockin' On Japan, most international fans can't identify it.

That picture is from 音楽と人 Vol.73 issued in February 2002, and I'm not just saying that from googling around for the front cover and thinking "She's wearing the armor, so clearly it has to be the same issue". I have the magazine. It's one of the more extensive Shiina Ringo photoshoots I've seen, compared to the issues from any original publications in more recent years. You can find that issue on Yahoo! Japan Auctions basically every month, if not every week.

There are other Shiina Ringo related issues of 音楽と人, but they aren't very rewarding to buy if who you are trying to collect is Shiina Ringo. The most you'll get are glimpses of her in music festivals where she isn't the central theme of those photoshoots. The main reason to buy a typical issue of 音楽と人 is if you follow the successful punk or rockabilly groups in Japan, so I wouldn't expect a 音楽と人 compilation of Shiina Ringo like we recently had with Rockin' On Japan. She simply wasn't very involved in this publication. She had one good photoshoot with them and that was basically all.

EMF generally isn't 2chan where a small circle of people review something that nobody outside the circle could access. You've got immaturity among the a few of the Haves, immaturity among a few of the Have-Nots, followed by a lot of begging and frustration and an overall feeling of division among the fanbase.

Ah, thanks very much, I've got a few old copies of ongaku to hito, but none with her in sadly. Might try and pick up a copy of that issue, looks like an interesting shoot.

I did see the frankly ridiculous drama with the have and have-nots with Sanmon Gossip, and for the record I hope you didn't misinterpret my question about the song as a request. Personally I'm not too bothered (not the right word, but can't think of it at the moment) to hear it, she clearly wrote it for one specific moment and place, listening to it without proper context would make it almost worthless - might seem a bit hyperbole but strikes me as something akin to Murray Schafer's "Patria", without the location and context there's no point.
Old 2009.08.27, 11:07 PM   #58
Beltshumeltz

Beltshumeltz is headed in the right direction

New question: What is Kyoei Buranko and why is it not listed on this site's product reviews index? Is it a bootleg? The quality is bad, but not awful, it seems like just a poor mp3 encoding rather than something recorded by an audience member...
Beltshumeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.27, 11:21 PM   #59
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Kyoei Buranko is completely a bootleg. I got my own stash of it from an old "discography" at JPopSuki before. There were actually a lot of bootlegs thrown into that alongside the official releases, and all I really grabbed that torrent for was the bootlegs (the nice thing about torrenting is that you can prioritize or exclude specific files within).

With the exception of demos, I would say that less than 1% of my Shiina Ringo listening time goes toward bootlegs. I have my own legitimate copies of everything else, I rip them the way *I* want, and 97% of my own SR/TJ rips sound better than the bootlegs. Hatsuiku Status is the only "messy"-sounding thing you could ever legitimately buy out of the whole SR/TJ catalog, with Ringohan as an honorable mention for this high-pitched feedback-like noise that lingers around throughout some entire songs. I also get listening fatigue from GX if I dare to convert the DTS into any other lossy format (such as MP3), so that's what the LPCM is for.
Old 2009.08.29, 03:55 PM   #60
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

And it's not listed on the product reviews index because there is not a real product for it.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote