Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.15, 08:56 AM   #1
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer
Default [TJ] 2007.09.26 - Variety (CD) [Album]

娯楽(バラエティ) (Variety)

01. ランプ (Ramp)
02. ミラーボール (Mirror Ball)
03. 金魚の箱 (Kingyo no Hako)
04. 私生活 (Shiseikatsu)
05. OSCA
06. 黒猫道 (Kronekodow)
07. 復讐 (Fukushuu)
08. 某都民 (Boutomin)
09. SSAW
10. 月極姫 (Tsukigime-hime)
11. 酒と下戸 (Sake to Geko)
12. キラーチューン (Killer Tune)
13. メトロ (Metro)
Total Playtime: 49:45

Second-Press Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.23, 07:12 PM   #2
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

The Variety show.
Ramp = Opening Credits
Metro = Closing Theme

And, I am not afraid to say everything in between is pure sex in my ears.
Tokyo Jihen, you guys created an amazing album that justified every cent I paid for the CD. You created new music unlike anything else in the industry, yet drawing elements from the entire scene. This is what every artist should aim to achieve.

I am going to type out a full review later, but my first impressions are that this album is beyond exceptional. Modernizing and inspiring from older music, such as founding pop and rock songs from the 70s to Hi-NRG and eurodance, this album is a feast. The drum-and-snare insanely catchy Mirrorball, the power ballad Shiseikatsu that brings instant nostalgia to anyone, the throaty bittersweet "strapped to a guitar" Fukushuu, the beautifully crafted multi-faceted technotronic Tsukigime-hime, and oh so much more, and ahhh I am in love again with Tokyo Jihen.

I secretly had my doubts how this concept would work, but damn it, they pulled it off flawlessly.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.23, 07:29 PM   #3
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Cursory notes: Shiseikatsu is a watered down Superstar. Fukushuu is Shiina does A Perfect Circle. Not sure that makes either good in their own right, but at least worth the listen.

Mirrorball: JCHI > Variety.

Tsukigime-hime isnt horrendous. Yet Uki still cant just "end" a song.

Killer Tune is horrendous.

Boutomin nor Ssaw should not have been allowed to exist with a song like Pinnochio around. or Kaban for that matter.

I didnt sign up for J-pop, guys.
Old 2007.09.23, 07:52 PM   #4
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Migoto View Post
Sorry to ask this if it was already explained, but why is that that everyone is calling the first track "Ramp"... It could also be "Lamp", couldn't it?
Er. Cuz HMV romanised it as Ramp? Also because it's something about a car... Er. Doesn't quite make sense. Anyway, Ramp it is.
Old 2007.09.23, 08:18 PM   #5
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Op2 View Post
The Variety show.
Ramp = Opening Credits
Metro = Closing Theme

And, I am not afraid to say everything in between is pure sex in my ears.
Tokyo Jihen, you guys created an amazing album that justified every cent I paid for the CD. You created new music unlike anything else in the industry, yet drawing elements from the entire scene. This is what every artist should aim to achieve.

I am going to type out a full review later, but my first impressions are that this album is beyond exceptional. Modernizing and inspiring from older music, such as founding pop and rock songs from the 70s to Hi-NRG and eurodance, this album is a feast. The drum-and-snare insanely catchy Mirrorball, the power ballad Shiseikatsu that brings instant nostalgia to anyone, the throaty bittersweet "strapped to a guitar" Fukushuu, the beautifully crafted multi-faceted technotronic Tsukigime-hime, and oh so much more, and ahhh I am in love again with Tokyo Jihen.

I secretly had my doubts how this concept would work, but damn it, they pulled it off flawlessly.
yaaaay, I was already excited for this album anyways, the jewel in my week most definitely, and reading your positive review makes me just that much more excited, woo hoooooooo. I can't wait to hear Mirrorball again, XD

oh, how was Izawa on SSAW? I read that is a duet. XDXD
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.23, 09:07 PM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I'm going to wait for the CD this time.
Or maybe I should wait for the vinyl...

In any case, the advantage for me here (aside from the 'inaudible' details preserved by lossless) is that if I end up not liking the music, I'll have SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS and Yoko Kanno in the same shipment to keep me happy.

I'll look forward to seeing full reviews in the meantime, though.
Old 2007.09.23, 09:17 PM   #7
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I'm going to wait for the CD this time.
Or maybe I should wait for the vinyl...

In any case, the advantage for me here (aside from the 'inaudible' details preserved by lossless) is that if I end up not liking the music, I'll have SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS and Yoko Kanno in the same shipment to keep me happy.

I'll look forward to seeing full reviews in the meantime, though.
I'm doing the opposite, this time, I'm not waiting for my CD. I'm not gonna receive it until next week anyways.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.23, 09:37 PM   #8
HappySlyme

HappySlyme pleased at least somebody

i just downed it from jpopsuki.

man oh man! those sample clips from whatever site it was didn't do variety any justice at all and lowered my expectations to what i was expecting to be the demise of tj and shiina career, but putting this on my verdict is:

VARIETY IS FUCKIN ACES

every genre cross they do, every vocal flare, the unexpected heaviness of Fukushuu (although we got a taste of it in JCHI's Kenka Joutou) was brilliant and the punk moodiness/glam of Tsukigime-hime, very neat. and they weren't even the highlights!

congrats to tokyo jihen, how did i doubt you?

* i'll almost mention its orgasmic when they flick the time signature to 3/4 for that haunting quality in Sake to Geko (ala Yume no Ato).

Last edited by HappySlyme : 2007.09.23 at 09:45 PM.
HappySlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.23, 09:43 PM   #9
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

I absolutely loved it. It seems everything Tokyo Jihen does is crack for my ears.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.23, 10:12 PM   #10
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

...Must resist leakage... this is the first time I've actually sat down, read the forums, and waited for a TJ album to be release, every other album were YouTube'd, Mp3'ed, long before I got my hands on the actual CD...

Argh what the hell am I talking about? *click link