Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.10.22, 06:12 PM   #11
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Ringo's nature is crude, that's why I love her.

I'm here because of Tokyo_Jihad, who is the heart and soul of EMF.

You seem like the uptight, "activist", still-in-college type. My last comment wasn't serious. Chill out.

That's news to me.
And you seem like the "immature", I never left the high school boys circle, type.
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.22, 06:16 PM   #12
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I think conversations would go smoother if "hotness" or some other forms of objectification weren't consistently the first, if not only, thing mentioned. This community typically looks down on this behavior. It's just ... gross, for lack of a better word. There are plenty of performers out there where "image" is the only product they have to offer where there are no critical fans beyond make-up and attire.
Old 2012.10.22, 07:12 PM   #13
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I think conversations would go smoother if "hotness" or some other forms of objectification weren't consistently the first, if not only, thing mentioned. This community typically looks down on this behavior. It's just ... gross, for lack of a better word.
Surely, Ringo's a true artist, a big strong independent woman and all that crap, but I'm sure that Ringo herself, Izawa, Ukigumo, Hirama, HZM, the entire Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, even Saitou Neko, and her 102360 last.fm listeners all think that she's freaking hot. Basically everyone except for Kemeda and TurtleFu.

Point is, artist's image is just as important as the music, especially in concerts. Imagine how visually pleasing it would be if your favourite Dynamite Out was performed by a 300 pound woman riding a mobility scooter.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.22, 07:37 PM   #14
Inseu

Back on topic, I also prefer Himitsu (DJ version) to the album version. The rapping section fits rather nicely on the song.

And any song with Ringo saying "geetar" is automatically awesome.
Old 2012.10.22, 07:59 PM   #15
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Point is, artist's image is just as important as the music, especially in concerts.
I don't agree.

Imagine how visually pleasing it would be if your favourite Dynamite Out was performed by a 300 pound woman riding a mobility scooter.
While I love Dynamite Out because it is a very visceral performance, very little of what I pay attention to is what's on screen. Save maybe HZM jumping around. I don't even consider the focal point of that show, based on how its cut and shot. The whole band is front and center.

I recognize that appearance and image can very rarely be completely detached, but that doesn't mean we all shouldn't try. Look at Susan Boyle. Everyone made a snap judgement on her first impression, and what a voice they'd miss if that's where there attention rested.

I know that because Shiina Ringo is an attractive lady, and I doubt Kameda or TurtleFu argue otherwise on that, that's why I got to hear of her. Why basically any of us in the west got the chance. I know that otherwise, there likely wouldn't have been enough internet buzz. That's not to say it's right, because she definitely had much more going on than other stars in her day and deserved the audience she received, but you can't deny someone like Carrie Underwood gets more buzz than Angel Olsen. While I have to be grateful, in a way, in the shallowness of the internet for allowing me to have heard of her at all, I do think it is a disservice to her as an artist and this community for it to be an enduring subject.

Surely, Ringo's a true artist, a big strong independent woman and all that crap
I wish our society (at large) was progressive enough that trivializing these traits as "crap" would be permissable. But since the topic is essentially "at least she isn't ugly" I find this choice of words disheartening. In light of this, if you haven't looked at frecklegirl's translated SS lyrics (which may or may not be on her site, they should be elsewhere if not) check them out, and decide if SS is "loli" music.
Old 2012.10.22, 08:32 PM   #16
SoulExperience

Surely, Ringo's a true artist, a big strong independent woman and all that crap, but I'm sure that Ringo herself, Izawa, Ukigumo, Hirama, HZM, the entire Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, even Saitou Neko, and her 102360 last.fm listeners all think that she's freaking hot. Basically everyone except for Kemeda and TurtleFu.

Point is, artist's image is just as important as the music, especially in concerts. Imagine how visually pleasing it would be if your favourite Dynamite Out was performed by a 300 pound woman riding a mobility scooter.
It's not crap. In fact, its a part of her persona. A huge part, and you're dismissing that by calling it crap. You have yet to learn anything, even after creating that embarrassing thread.

Of course people think she's attractive, but do you think people are listening to her all because of that? Do you think TJ band members/other collaborators worked with her because she was sexy? Pffffft. It would be so silly to think so. The key is talent, and she has that along with other things. She just happens to also be attractive. It's ridiculously adolescent-like, when one of the first and constant comments being made are based on appearance. Especially with music.

And shit, I sure as hell would watch DO if a 300 lb woman was rocking out on her mobility scooter. But this horrible comment you made, it makes me wonder what you would do/how you would survive if SR suddenly became unattractive. I have a feeling your world would be turned upside down.
Old 2012.10.22, 08:38 PM   #17
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I just don't understand why there are so many people here who are resistant to the idea of Ringo's looks being one of her many merits and, in some cases, to the extent of almost suggesting that exalting her image is mutually exclusive from respecting her music.

Why is it so hard to reconcile that some people prioritise her music, and that some people prioritise her image (which, to be fair, is very intelligently constructed).

I am pretty sure that Ringo (of the present; post-debut, teenage angst era) would be the first to own up to the importance of the visual presentation of both herself and TJ.

I'm not going to blindly defend Inseu here, partly because I don't necessarily agree with what he is saying, but all he is doing, is to offer a perfectly rational counter-majoritarian perspective in the same kind of polarising rhetoric that many people on this forum are fond of abusing anyways, so I really don't get what the big fuss is about.

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2012.10.22 at 08:44 PM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.22, 08:40 PM   #18
Inseu

Tokyo Jihad, while Dynamite Out contains excellent music, I would pretty much stare at Ringo for 2 hours. I see every body movement, every facial expression. I'm impressed by how strictly rehearsed her performance is, and how earth-shattering and achingly sincere her singing sounds. What a goddess! Seriously, what a fucking goddess! If only HZM jumping around caught your attention, you completely missed the point of the show.

I used the word "crap" only to make fun of "mature", "intelligent" posters who praise Ringo with all kinds of cliches other than comments on her beauty. I wasn't "trivializing" her traits.

Also, if you don't find her catwalk while performing "Boutomin" from Spa & Treatment HOT, something's definitely wrong with you...my word choice was appropriate.

Shōso Strip is definitely my kind of loli music. I know the lyrics have depth, but consider the schoolgirl screaming on "Identity", the passionate, youthful vocals on every song, the loli album cover (of course it's a joke from her), she's some kind of angry young loli rocker for sure.

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.10.22 at 08:53 PM.
Old 2012.10.22, 08:54 PM   #19
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Pity, I was enjoying this thread a bit until all this happened. Can't have nice things here.
Old 2012.10.22, 09:05 PM   #20
SoulExperience

I'm sure lots of people feel the same when ridiculous things are constantly said.
Name:  tumblr_lxctrgqust1r0ti6po1_r1_500_zpsa090604b.gif
Views: 85
Size:  468.7 KB