Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.02.19, 12:31 PM   #141
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

UGH. Why are they never allowed to play their own music?
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 01:02 PM   #142
Migoto

Migoto is headed in the right direction

I like this album better than Variety. Not near as good as Kyouiku or Adult, though.

Tks for the Youtube video, Scribble.
Really bad vocals, indeed. :/
Migoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 01:20 PM   #143
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

the pilot light on the amps arent even switched on.

Boa was the host of the show?
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 01:34 PM   #144
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think Boa just finished performing, according to the line in the top left corner of the screen at least

So, her celebrity buddies include Matsumoto Jun and now BOA. Explains a lot I kid, I kid
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 04:22 PM   #145
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

her vocals on the the performance are actually quite decent, its just the song that I think people object to. the more I hear it the more I don't mind it, but I think Ringo needs to utilize her lower register more often. this song is something that makes me shudder to think what it might sound like with a migraine.

also, wtf is up with their styling at this performance. hata looks good (for having pinkish hair) and kameda looked himself, but uki and izawa, wtf. uki had some weird beret thing on his head and uki looked a bit chubby and devoid of facial hair. bad stylist, bad.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 05:14 PM   #146
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
her vocals on the the performance are actually quite decent, its just the song that I think people object to. the more I hear it the more I don't mind it, but I think Ringo needs to utilize her lower register more often. this song is something that makes me shudder to think what it might sound like with a migraine.

also, wtf is up with their styling at this performance. hata looks good (for having pinkish hair) and kameda looked himself, but uki and izawa, wtf. uki had some weird beret thing on his head and uki looked a bit chubby and devoid of facial hair. bad stylist, bad.
Ringo's makeup didn't look so hot either. :x
The vocals started out kinda shaky for my tastes, but they got better. I agree that the song kind of grows on you, but not in a way that you'll grow to love it, just that you grow not to think it sucks. Meh. Waiting for my birthday in April to get the album, most likely. Don't want to hear a crappy quality rip.
I really really really don't like short hair on Ringo. At all. It looks okay with her face shape, but it just makes her look so....30.
Old 2010.02.19, 05:31 PM   #147
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by D.K.Liu View Post
To justriiingo: 'coming together as a band' and being 'professional' are very different things. Regardless of how you rate their output on Adult and Variety (I haven't heard Sports), I think it's hard to fault them on professionalism. I also don't recall reading about SR's ambition for TJ... I'd be grateful if you can point me in the right direction.
Please, illustrate how Tokyo Jihen has been "professional" in the past 2 years.

As for SR's ambitions for Tokyo Jihen, I remember reading several interviews in the 04 period (before Kyouiku was released), and one from a TV show, where she explained that she named their debut album Kyouiku (Education) because she wanted to educate and expose the pop music public to other musical sounds and influences. I would love to give you actual proof of the interviews; unfortunately the site that had the translated interview is no longer maintained by the owner, and other other possible site shiinaringo.se was taken down too. You can either take my word for it, or write me off as a delusional lunatic. Long time fans should be able to back me up here, that's if they still even care.
Old 2010.02.19, 05:34 PM   #148
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

2/19(fri) YAHOO! MUSIC 2/19up “POWER PUSH”special interview

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 05:57 PM   #149
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post

As for SR's ambitions for Tokyo Jihen, I remember reading several interviews in the 04 period (before Kyouiku was released), and one from a TV show, where she explained that she named their debut album Kyouiku (Education) because she wanted to educate and expose the pop music public to other musical sounds and influences.
isn't that exactly what they have been doing, though? if anything, Kyouiku is where they would have failed the most, since that album tends to be the more straightforward "rock" album out of Jihen's releases. As a band, I would say that Adult probably would better reach that intended purpose, conveying pop music infused with elements (such as jazz, soul, funk, etc etc) that aren't always represented in the industy. then on top of that, all the negative reviews that people have been posting here have been criticizing the album for sounding too generic, like something any other pop artist would release, but isn't that the point? ringo is out to make pop music with a blend of elements and genres that generally aren't associated with pop in the mainstream industry. I think they are still managing to succeed in that, even with Variety, despite individual opinions on the quality of such work.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.19, 06:29 PM   #150
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

She would have achieved that goal if she had stayed solo.

I wonder how Jusui Negai, Sounan, Ekimae, Genjitsu wo Warau, and Omatsuri Sawagi would have turned out had it been an 'expansive' effort like KZK.

Ringo no Uta Kyouiku vs single ver. is THE example of how she kind of went backwards with the whole TJ setup.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote