Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.05.12, 01:53 PM   #271
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Yeah, dude. Imagine if your first exposure to Ringo was Benkai Debussy, Toumei Ningen, SSAW or Service. For shame. Gotta get lucky with some of the good MM-Kyouiku stuff.

I feel like I did. My first three Ringo songs were Kokode Kiss Shite, Gibs and Poltergeist. I was meh on Kokode, loved the powerful drumming on Gibs and was hooked by Poltergeist.
Old 2014.05.12, 04:34 PM   #272
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Nice! You found the one iconic track from each of her first three albums! That's an interesting progression of songs and it kind of highlights the progression of her career up until that point too.

But Benkai Debussy was between MM and Kyouiku. I would say it's leagues ahead of the other few your mentioned too. Gotta agree with you though. If I heard Service first -- I might not be here.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.19, 09:23 AM   #273
Parsec

Parsec is headed in the right direction

Not 100% sure, but I think I first came across Shiina Ringo's name in a Lonely Planet guide book in early 2011, shortly before my first trip to Japan. I remember reading a section in it about Japanese music and there was a short paragraph about Shiina and Tokyo Jihen, about how she had ended her solo career in order to be part of a band, which was enough of a weird career move for it to stick in my memory. But I can't remember how soon after that I first checked her music out. I came back from Japan smitten with the country and it's culture, started learning Japanese and getting deeper into Japanese music. Over the next two or so years I would occasionally come across her name on the internet and then check out the odd video on Youtube without really getting hooked.

The only one I can still remember watching was Mellow. At the time I found the song too straight-forwardly "rock" for my tastes. Perhaps if I'd heard KZK then, it would've been different (I love Mellow now though).

Anyway, about October or November last year I spent a lot of time on rateyourmusic.com, reading it's forums, and I kept seeing this "Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana" title appearing in various threads and it sounded pretty intriguing, so I thought I'd give her another go, but with that album this time, rather than a randomly selected song on Youtube. The first time I listened to it, I didn't really know what to make of it, I was kind of doing other stuff while I listened, and I think it was just too much to take in. The second and third times though, were mind-blowing, some of the best music listening experiences I've had, and it's pretty much my favorite album now.

Also, a very very strange coincidence: I make music and the last two pieces I wrote before discovering Shiina were titled "Stem" and "Glips".
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.19, 01:10 PM   #274
kalmia

Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Not 100% sure, but I think I first came across Shiina Ringo's name in a Lonely Planet guide book in early 2011, shortly before my first trip to Japan. I remember reading a section in it about Japanese music and there was a short paragraph about Shiina and Tokyo Jihen, about how she had ended her solo career in order to be part of a band, which was enough of a weird career move for it to stick in my memory.

Also, a very very strange coincidence: I make music and the last two pieces I wrote before discovering Shiina were titled "Stem" and "Glips".

It always makes me happy to see great music find its way into cultural guides like this. A lot of the time the things I really like aren't popular enough to get any attention. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that particular Lonely Planet guide book to see what kind of things they said about Ringo.

It's so wonderful that you were able to find out about Ringo, even in such a peculiar way! KZK really is praised everywhere on album rating sites, isn't it? And what a coincidence it is that you named your songs with similar titles! I'd really like to hear them one day!

Welcome to EMF.
Old 2014.06.20, 08:20 AM   #275
Parsec

Thanks for the welcome! It was a pre-2011 edition of the guide book, but they often re-use sections in newer editions. I may upload that music to soundcloud or something one day. Despite the titles, they don't resemble Shiina's music in the least, haha.
Old 2014.08.10, 09:52 PM   #276
Parsec

Well here's 'Glips':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcAHYNHVQ70

I wrote it for my sorta experimental guitar duo. This is us playing it live.
Old 2014.08.13, 09:11 AM   #277
kalmia

That's cool! This performance is pretty recent too! I wouldn't say your music is that far from Ringo's music either. Just more minimal. That could easily be expanded into something very similar to her's. But really it's fine the way it is! Thanks for sharing, Parsec.
Old 2014.08.15, 06:03 PM   #278
Parsec

Thanks for listening!