Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2018.05.01, 07:54 PM   #31
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Most of the 'hardcore' fans left that I know are people who dont buy ANY music at all so yeah.

As for this release: I'm someone who buys every fucking Ringo release and I haven't even thought about ordering this covers album ffs.

Dunno how well that bodes for the sales if the suckers aren't even biting.

That said, it has the name Utada Hikaru attached.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2018.05.01 at 08:02 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.01, 08:11 PM   #32
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

It's not as bad as that. Except that cover of Honnou, that should be burned in a fire.
Old 2018.05.02, 06:02 PM   #33
chestnutflowers

chestnutflowers is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) View Post
Put Oomori in instead doing "Otona no Okite"

11!!11!1!!!1!
What about Killer Tune instead?
Oomori
chestnutflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.02, 07:48 PM   #34
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2)

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is an asset to this community

!
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.03, 07:44 PM   #35
zeroryouko
Ringophile

OK, my official verdict based on the samples:

Tsumi to Batsu by AI - Lacks the raw emotion of the original - largely because Ringo's vocals were excellent even for her - but not a bad interpretation of the material.

Carnation by Inoue Yosui - Not great. The original is a lullaby or the soundtrack to a magical fantasy, but the vocals on the cover are just pedestrian, instead of filled with the sense of wonder that Ringo delivered. Either stick to the source, or do something totally different with it - don't just half-ass it.

Koko de Kiss Shite by Kimura Kaela - Pretty much the same as the original. Not bad but doesn't add anything either.

Tsugou no Ii Karada by Tajima Takao - Too normal. Ringo gave this a sense of frenetic energy while the cover is just bland. I've always interpreted the original as a number in a Broadway-type musical, and Ringo's vocals escalate with each successive verse, as an homage to that theatrical type of acting you don't see much anymore. This is just...less than that.

Sid to Hakuchuumu by MIKA - I know it's crazy, but I actually like this one. Although I'm not sure what language it's in - doesn't sound Japanese. French maybe? But not good French. Nonetheless, the cover actually went bossa nova, and I love it! Although if Ringo had done a bossa nova version it probably would have been better.

Honnou by RHYMESTER - KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

Koufukuron by Rekishi - Too much vocal doubling, but not terrible. At least it sounds fresh. Still not as good as the demo though!

Tadashii Machi - Also not bad. Doesn't add much vs. the original, but sounds more modern at least.

(I'll do the rest in a bit. Dinner time!)

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2018.05.03 at 07:53 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.03, 07:58 PM   #36
chestnutflowers

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Sid to Hakuchuumu by MIKA - I know it's crazy, but I actually like this one. Although I'm not sure what language it's in - doesn't sound Japanese. French maybe? But not good French.
Yes, it's French. I don't know the slightest thing about the language, but it's sounds better than Ringo's French? Maybe? The lyrics, thanks to Google:
Qu'est-ce que j'ai fait pour mériter ça?
Tant d'amour ça ne se refuse pas
On s'habitue à tout
A ce coeur qui bat qui fait pa pa pa
Même à des mots tout doux
Et d'heures qu'avant toi j'aimais pas?

Et dire qu'avant toi j'aimais pas?
C'est quoi ce bonheur qui s'acharne sur nous?
C'est quoi ce soleil sur nos joues?
Ah si on m'avait dit que ça valait le coup l'amour toi et moi!
C'est quoi ce bonheur qui s'acharne sur nous?
C'est quoi cette envie d'être fou?
C'est pas compliqué, pas plus compliqué
Qu'un bisou comme ça
And the English translation:
What did I do to deserve this?
So much love you can't say no
You get used to everything
To this heart that beats that goes pa pa pa
Even to very sweet words
And to hours I didn't like before you?

And I can't believe I didn't love before you?
What's this happiness that's going after us?
What's that sun on our cheeks?
Ah if I had been told love between you and I was worth it!
What's that happiness that's going after us?
What's this desire to be crazy?
It's not complicated, not more complicated
Than a kiss like this

Last edited by chestnutflowers : 2018.05.03 at 08:01 PM.
Old 2018.05.03, 08:02 PM   #37
zeroryouko
Ringophile

I would have hoped it was at least in keeping with Ringo's original. As bad as Ringo's French is, I'll take it over some random's any day. And Janis Ian - dammit, I bought Janis Ian's greatest hits because of this song.
Old 2018.05.04, 07:45 AM   #38
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I was expecting more from a tribute album =_=
IMO the newer songs (NIPPON and etc) should not have the right to be on it, I don't think anybody might possibly be a fan of Ringo BECAUSE of her recent music, people just endure the new music because of everything released before 2005. With that being said:

AI – Tsumi to Batsu: Meh. AI was the best in Utada's tribute album... I was expecting more
Inoue Yosui – Carnation: Meh
Utada Hikaru & Obukuro Nariaki – Marunouchi Sadistic: Meh, like anything released by Utada these days
Kimura Kaela – Koko de Kiss Shite: I agree, It's karaoke.
Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku – Jiyuu e Michizure: wtf, this is the least meh track so far, but still meh. I'll give it an OK
Tajima Takao – Tsugou no Ii Karada: OK
Fujiwara Sakura – Akane Sasukiro Terasa Redo: This is good! It reminds me that the Cranberrys' singer died O.o (...Airurando no shoujo ga utau)
Matsu Takako – Arikitari no Onna: Meh
Miura Daichi – Suberidai: I kinda like it... good, I guess
MIKA - Sid to Hakuchuumu: between Good and OK, better than if it was SR executing it
RHYMESTER – Honnou: This sounds fresh, but I don't like it. This is my favorite song in the whole word, I will never be satisfied with a cover of it.
LiSA – NIPPON: Hate it. Hate the original too.
Rekishi – Koufukuron: Surprisingly good O.õ I like it
The Urashima’s – Tadashii Machi: the best one ;o; the only track good enough to be in a SR tribute album, maybe I just feel this way because of Kusano Masamune's voice

And I would definitely prefer Bongo's tracklist. I'm even imagining in my head how those songs would sound, though Koji Tamaki's voice in my head will always sound more like it was in the 80s than how it is now

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.04, 08:06 AM   #39
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2)

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
IThe Urashima’s – Tadashii Machi: the best one ;o; the only track good enough to be in a SR tribute album, maybe I just feel this way because of Kusano Masamune's voice

The same with me. I'm so biased with Spitz that I couldn't say it was anything less than amazing. It is quite good regardless. The real surprise I'm seeing here with this record is that a few folk agree with me that Daichi Mura's pretty much the highlight. LMAO!
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.04, 02:31 PM   #40
chestnutflowers

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
I was expecting more from a tribute album =_=
IMO the newer songs (NIPPON and etc) should not have the right to be on it, I don't think anybody might possibly be a fan of Ringo BECAUSE of her recent music, people just endure the new music because of everything released before 2005. With that being said:
Eh, I think it's only fair that some of her recent material is included and NIPPON was sadly popular with the general public. For a lot of people, I assume, that song is representative of "current Ringo." That said, the inclusion of Jiyū e Michizure, Carnation and Arikitari no Onna is overkill and only makes the absence KSK-era songs much more apparent. Kabukicho, Gips and Ariamaru Tomi are all seemingly more notable would have made more sense, imo of course.