Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2018.09.01, 01:32 PM   #51
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

IMO her voice hit a low point in 2014 from which she has since been trying to rebuild. I was one of the biggest defenders of Expo '14 at the time and even I'd have to say in retrospect that it was a low for her vocally. I'm thinking here in particular of the train wreck that was NIPPON from Expo '14 and Tsumi to Batsu from (IIRC) Fuji Rock that year. I'd wager money that since that time she's been seeing a vocal coach/therapist as there have definitely been noticeable, but incremental, improvements to her vocals with each successive performance. Particularly with Tsumi to Batsu which is obviously very vocally taxing.

What we're hearing in this performance, it seems to me, is a Ringo that is paying much more attention to controlling her voice. And by necessity, that means she is holding it back a bit. It's not as raw and emotional and powerful as it was. But on the plus side her voice is the best it's sounded in years, and making some investment in it now assures that she'll be able to perform for years to come. IMO she sounds the best she's sounded in years.

I feel like with the current show, she begins by holding back a lot and then pushes it more and more with each successive song. Correspondingly, the excitement builds slowly toward a climax right at the end. The last number, Jinsei wa Yume Darake, is the one where she really lets it go, and it's wonderful. But you really get the sense that she's saving it for that one moment.

Also, as a side note, her performance of Karei naru Gyakushuu (the SMAP song that everyone hated), is absolutely adorable. Another instance where her live absolutely blows the CD out of the water.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2018.09.01 at 01:44 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.13, 08:53 AM   #52
chestnutflowers

chestnutflowers is an asset to this community

yokushitsu

gips

jinsei

jiyuu

debussy

marusad
chestnutflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.13, 11:21 PM   #53
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I have to say something in Ringo's defense: this is the best live version of gips ever
Because I've spent so many years obsessed with Shouso Strip, and gips is one of my favorite songs in the world, I've always wanted a live version that would satisfy me vocally and instrumentally (especially in the guitar solo part). And this live version gives me everything I've always wanted!

Is it too close to the studio version? Yes, but for me there was never a better version of this song than the studio version, which is sad considering that so many of her songs feel way better in their live versions. So I've always expected any live version to be better, and gips would always let me down.

Could it be better? Yes, but of course I don't know how sound wise, because I already said: for me there was never a better version of gips than the studio one. I know how it could have been better performance wise: if her costume were more exciting than this, if she were the guitar player doing the perfect solo, if she were rolling on the floor while singing the most emotional parts, or if all these things were combined. Who doesn't want to see their favorite artist in an awesome outfit rolling on the floor while doing a perfectly executed guitar solo?

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.14, 07:25 AM   #54
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

These all sound pretty good to me. I even really like the brass on Debussy.

That Marunoichi version though is pretty bad. Continues the trend of worsening re-imaginings. I don't remember Jiyuu, but it sounds like a Disney Channel show intro.
Old 2018.11.14, 12:20 PM   #55
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Did you see the DVD from last year Jihad?

That's pretty great, similar to this but a stronger setlist
Old 2018.12.03, 01:07 AM   #56
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I watched it in full again. Memai is so bad, Heavy Metallic Girl is best thing on it. NIPPON still fuckin sucks.

And I can't confirm cause I don't have the actual blu ray (first one I've ever skipped over) so it's probably just the rip- but it seemed to be a tiny bit out of sync? Someone who's actually bought it can you confirm?

Overall though it's decent enough, just not memorable at all. You'll definitely be looking at your phone during this one. Another Shiina Ringo show, no more, no less. Mangarama were still best last tour.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2018.12.03 at 01:46 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.03, 10:42 AM   #57
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Overall though it's decent enough, just not memorable at all. You'll definitely be looking at your phone during this one. Another Shiina Ringo show, no more, no less. Mangarama were still best last tour.
This is probably my biggest critique as well. The arrangements are strong and Managarama might be one of her best backing bands, but she seems tuned out at times, paint-by-numbers. Is it just me or is this the most she's ever relied on a stageprompter during a live?

Still need to watch the full DVD myself for her encore set, especially Yasei no Doumei, which has to be one of her best songs in the last 5+ years.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.04, 06:12 AM   #58
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

haven’t watched the full thing yet but fuck, that rendition of jinsei wa yume darake is dynamite out level good!!

edit:
oh wow, yasei no domei is every bit as amazing as i had hoped it would be. i am satisfied T___T

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2018.12.04 at 07:05 AM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.04, 10:14 AM   #59
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
edit:
oh wow, yasei no domei is every bit as amazing as i had hoped it would be. i am satisfied T___T
...ok now I'm really watching. Haven't heard a Ringo fan say they're satisfied in years
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.05, 03:59 AM   #60
Fauxie

Fauxie is headed in the right direction

Wait, the DVD/Blu-Ray release (and the clips posted on youtube) are from the exact same performance as the WOWOW broadcast, right?
Fauxie is offline   Reply With Quote