Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2019.05.02, 12:31 AM   #51
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I didn't hate her new song with Sakurai
I wouldn't put in my weekly playlist, but it sounds different than that characteristic nu-Ringo sound
at least is not a repetition of her collabs with tortoise matsumoto and the elephant kashimashi guy

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.02, 01:49 AM   #52
shirasagi

shirasagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I like the new song. Not as a single, but the release of what is technically an intro to the album and this song suggests to me that this new album might be a more cohesive body of work than what we probably all expected what with all the old singles.
The intro is supposed to be followed by "Kemono yuku hosomichi" and this song is followed by "Donzoko made" on the album - I can see these songs flowing well into each other. How the Coke song and "Jiyuudom" will fare I have no idea, but this song sounds sonically bolder than anything we've heard since Reimport (vol. 1) in my book. I'm now geniuinely looking forward to listening to the whole thing.
shirasagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.02, 09:29 AM   #53
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I am going to be honest. This is bare honesty. I don't enjoy being the constant contrarian. Kakeochi-sha (if thats what its called) is the most interested I've been in a Shiina Ringo song since Ariamaru Tomi. The most surprised (in a good way) since Virgin Line Souretsu -- and if not that -- KZK at all? Was not expecting that!

I take it the rest of the album isn't going to be in this weird, almost Scott Walker, style?
Old 2019.05.02, 10:01 AM   #54
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I take it the rest of the album isn't going to be in this weird, almost Scott Walker, style?
Probably not, but paired with the previous single Niwatori to Hebi to Buta the new sound seems at least to be consistently darker, heavier and more orient-inspired.

We'll see if the other new tracks follow through, and if they balance out some of the lighter/poppier singles that are attached. Really intrigued to hear the rest, and can only lament how cool it would've been to get an album that fully embraces this aesthetic...
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.02, 01:51 PM   #55
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

If you've heard BUCK-TICK this song isn't remotely surprising.

It also just sounds like poor man's version of track 2 from Reimport 1. If that can even exist LOL.

But hey if someone can find SOMETHING out of this one, that's something. I won't lie- I am enjoying the meltdown from the Ringo apologists and those ceaselessly using the "she's for the 1%/housewife" defense for her. What housewife will want to listen to this lol.

Oh one thing to note that may provide a glimmer of hope- I assume some of the older songs have rearrangements. Why? Apple music revealed the song lengths and some vary wildly from their OG ones. Donzoko is only 2:20. Also they only let you preview a few of the pre-release tracks.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2019.05.02 at 02:52 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.02, 06:15 PM   #56
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I'll confess that I haven't listened to a single Ringo song in at least a year.

The last two CDs I burned (burnt?) for my car were the latest OOHYO and 80 minutes of mid-70s Steely Dan.

But I am really looking forward to this release. And because it is Shiina I will listen once, twice, fifteen plus times before I begin to cement my opinion.

And a thing I'm truly glad about is how this site reappeared, for reasons I don't believe even Glath is fully certain of, in time for this release.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.02, 06:49 PM   #57
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I won't lie- I am enjoying the meltdown from the Ringo apologists and those ceaselessly using the "she's for the 1%/housewife" defense for her. What housewife will want to listen to this lol.
Who's saying this now? Haha

I get much of the criticism, but it seems reductive to characterize people who enjoy the new tracks or have more nuanced opinions as "apologists". Reading some comments here and on JPS, it seems like some people want the album to be terrible for the satisfaction of hating on Ringo, without giving her material a fair shake. There's always room for thoughtful critique and analysis, but that's clearly different from the disparaging, petty remarks that have run pretty rampant. Besides, if she's caught between the criticisms of "she only makes music for housewives" and "not even housewives would listen to this" that seems like an impossible situation for her, no?

As for the possibility of rearrangements, that's definitely exciting. I wonder if it's also for the sake of another symmetrical runtime (SG and HIT were both 50:05).
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.02, 07:06 PM   #58
kanzaki

kanzaki pleased at least somebody

Won’t it be funny if T O K Y O is just a rearranged NIPPON with more Engrish?
kanzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.02, 08:42 PM   #59
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2)

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
And a thing I'm truly glad about is how this site reappeared, for reasons I don't believe even Glath is fully certain of, in time for this release.

This forum and Ringo cannot exist without one another. She feeds off this place to fuel her evil.
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.02, 11:37 PM   #60
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
the latest OOHYO

Originally Posted by thespidereggs View Post
I wonder if it's also for the sake of another symmetrical runtime (SG and HIT were both 50:05).
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the songs were not properly rearranged, but they only added more seconds at the end to make them flow smoothly from track to track and, of course, to make the album runtime symmetrical or at least a relevant number (like 55:55)

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote